Agnostic.com

17 6

During workouts, do you prefer a workout partner or would you rather workout solo?

Maybe it’s just me being weird, but usually I prefer to go solo, due to people in the past disappointing and how I take my workouts seriously and want the best in all my workouts, while others in the past has had to cut the workout short for some reasons, due to needing to attend things. I will usually just go for a jog with my iPod and enjoy the scenery.

EmeraldJewel 7 Feb 23

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

17 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Solo. I have always preferred to run and workout by myself.

However, it is not safe to hike or snowshoe alone. What if I get hurt or lost? A partner can provide first aid and/or go for help. I always hike with a partner.

"You can whip me into shape," overweight men suggest.

"Hire a trainer, " I reply. "Only you can motivate yourself to exercise and eat right. You would resent me if I nagged."

"It would derail my workout to coach you at the gym. I would feel irritated spending all my time showing you how to use equipment instead of working out."

Solo for me !

Having a partner can be good for some people, I just have not found one that works with me I guess (although I am not looking too hard either...lol) If you are lifting weights then it does give you a break between sets as long as the other person is wanting to also workout, but too many times it just turns into a BS session and the lifting slows down. Same with when you are out for your cardio, if you are pushing yourself like you should then it is hard to talk. I have tried with a few people and I end up just doing a short run with them and then do a long run by myself at a fast pace because I did not feel like I got in enough...

@ArkanzanWheeler

Agreed.

At the gym solo. In bed with a partner preferably female.???

yes to both

What is this 'workout' you speak of 😉 ?

Alone, I run/jog and lift weights. I don't want to wait for someone.

It is not safe to hike alone. That's why I always hike with a partner.

Never hike or run with earphones. It's not safe. I need to hear what's happening around me: people, cars, dogs, rockfall, avalanches, attacking animals, etc.

I LOVE the sound of rushing creeks, millions of softly rattling aspen leaves, birds singing, woodpeckers drumming, picas whistling, chipmunks, squirrels and marmots chirping. It's wonderful!

Some very good advice there! Safe good advice! I will take it.

@EmeraldJewel

Thank you. I'm glad you will be safer. Hugs, Kathleen

I clip the ear buds to my shirt so they basically sit up on my shoulders. That way I can hear everything around me but when it is quiet then I hear the music.

Running is a lot more fun with a friend. Weight lifting, not so much. I have set routines, so I’d rather just play music and do my thing.

Marz Level 7 Feb 23, 2019

I have to go solo, i guess because i have as bit of OCD..
Got to be on my own program. Lol

Solo. Got enough dumbbells as it is.

I'm usually alone. Several times my sister went with me. I think i would like a buddy.

I prefer class settings. I like the energy and makes me perform and pushes me.

I prefer solo. I usually workout in my home gym anyway.

Mostly solo at the gym or on a run. I find workout partners distracting and so-called “trainers” downright annoying. Occasional exceptions made for hikes. Only in martial arts training do I like the social aspect of mutual support, sharing of knowledge and technique, and structured competition.

Usually alone. When a friend from the west coast visits, we will work out together and I find myself working harder with a little competition.

This one I like to do alone!

zesty Level 7 Feb 23, 2019

I have never found a workout partner helpful. Other than a professional trainer.

Sometimes I go to the gym with my wife or stepson but we studiously ignore each other. No one wants to be constantly observed and silently critiqued.

Agree. I loved my Personal Trainer but I can't afford one now and she is NY and I am not. I worked out with Sis-In Law here and HATED IT. I just do it alone now.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:296992
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.