Agnostic.com

18 1

Should you give in to your temptations or resist them

Raythelastjedi 4 Feb 27

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

18 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

“Follow your bliss.” -Joseph Campbell

There are a couple that I have given into. A beautiful woman who knows who enjoys classical music, knows who Isaac Newton, Kepler, and Copernicus are and cake. Imagine how much I gave in when I met a woman like that who baked me a cake. I lost my mind.

LOL

Why would I resist them?
My temptations are quite simple really,
nothing that would be problematic.

Depends, as I'm often tempted to go birding outdoors in the sunshine instead of cleaning.

It would be cool to have an app that shows what will happen to you in ten years if you continue doing that particular thing every day. If you like to grab a couple of doughnuts on your way to work, what will you look like in ten years, or what will your health be like, all things being equal?

By all means give into temptation. It is so much more enjoyable

"and it harm none"__that includes yourself

Depends. Are these the original Temptations, or the revamped members.

Give in to the ones that are harmless but resist the ones that can cause problems. I think it's about using reason to decide whether or not to give in to a temptation.

My late partner had a motto she said all the time. It was "Discipline first then love" At first I didn't understand that and thought it was for her kids (her daughter told her "mom, you know all the times I said I hate you? Thank you. Then I thought it was for her students. After seeing how she faced her death I realized it was about her.

It's hard to face difficult times with a sense of reason.

* Sá sem lifir án aga, deyr án heiðurs old Islandic saying ***

He who lives without discipline, dies without honor.
Not quite the same thing, but close.

As long as you're willing to live with the worst case scenario of giving into a particular temptation, then yes, go for it. If you're not, then you have to give some serious consideration to risk vs rewards.

Follow your gut instincts.

My temptations involve the torture and execution of rapists and pedophiles.
I'm sure if I gave into my temptation I would have a very large fan base. But then I would be spending the rest of my life in prison.

Life is short, eat dessert first.

I just finished a stack of banana pancakes so ima say yes give in.

If it's something you shouldn't do, it's temptation. If it's something you should do, it's motivation.

It greatly depends on the temptation.

I can resist anything except temptation. 😉

Or as Bart Maverick put it, in the series "Maverick": "My Pappy told me if you can resist women and temptation, you're no son of mine."

That would depend on the temptations, wouldn't it? Generally, if the result is harm to no one, then why not?

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:29914
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.