Agnostic.com

23 4

Have you ever bought a home?

I'm breaking this down to male and female because I am curious as to how it breaks down.

• 18 votes
  • 19 votes
  • 2 votes
  • 23 votes
jayneonacobb 7 Feb 27

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

23 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Paid off mortgage 12 years ago.

Yeah, debt-free here too. Took most of a lifetime but it delivers some peace of mind at least.

apparently there is no " title " to hold in fact in the land of the gullible [ canada] you have to buy title insurance in case someone takes the title that you didn't have in the first place !

Interesting this topic comes up. I literally just closed on a house to renovate this morning. It's been neglected for several years, but a lot of potential. If I weren't able to do all the work myself (I'm a contractor) it might not be worth fixing. But I like a challenge.

I bought a house last month too. Closed on the 3rd. My house has been empty for about 2.5 years.
I'm looking forward to getting it back in shape and sitting on my front deck feeling like the queen of the world.

@heymoe2001 I started demoing the bathroom today. Moving everything around, all new plumbing and fixtures.
Good luck with yours.

@Taijiguy Oh my!
I'm not going to do anything that drastic yet. I had some plumbing repaired. The tub in the master was not hooked up for whatever reason. All the electric was chewed by the squirrels living in the attic! Wires have been replaced. Next week a foundation company will do some piering.
My plan today is finishing cutting up the trees I felled last week (two were touching the house giving the squirrels access and 2 were in very bad shape over the drive), pulling down the rest of the soffit and hopefully beginning to repair the eaves. I may paint the downstairs bedroom but I doubt it.
I'll be pleased when the piering is done so I can repair walls and paint and build my library wall!
Good luck. Stay safe.

I'm a millenial who eats too much avocado toast to own a home

yeah, my daughter was born in 85, but goes for lifestyle over security. Poor millennial, seriously, most of the smashed avocado crowd are probably Gen x anyway.

@Rugglesby finally someone who knows the difference! People keep mocking millenials and calling us entitled children and teenagers but most of us are 30!

I bought a home in London for £4,000 in 1971.the woman who had lived there had changed nothing since the house was new - It was a bit creepy because all of her stuff was till around including ration books from the war . It was also during the miners strike and the three day week so the electricity was always going off - It was a very mad time.

I couldn't vote for 2 things so I picked the man bought a home option.

I bought 3 houses (in different places) and a cabin with my ex but I earned all the money. Lost the cabin, kept the house in the divorce. Then I bought 96 acres of land and built a cabin on it. Then I sold my CA house and cabin. I moved from CA to WA, bought my current house, then 2 duplexes and 1 house as investment properties, then sold all the investment properties and payed off my house.

Bought my house in 1982 and sold it on February 1 of this year. The last step of divorce.

Just bought my house in September, 2016. I'm sure I'll be handing them my last payment from my walker if I survive that long.

Duke Level 8 Feb 27, 2018

@twshield I might need some assistance getting those tennis balls on the bottom of my walker.

@twshield I want a motorized one with wheelie bars and shit.

Bought a house with my husband in the 90s but after we divorced, I refinanced it alone. Sold it when I got downsized by my employer about 10 years later.

I bought my current home by myself 3 years ago

First house was terrifying. We moved sold the first bought the second at the peak of interest rates in 2000 so we have refinanced a couple of time.

Bought a great little house in Maine with husband #3. He got it when we divorced because I couldn't afford it on my own. He ended up losing it because he was an idiot.

you do pick 'em

@markdevenish Not anymore. Don't have to keep hitting me in the head with a Louisville Slugger for shit to sink in. 3 strikes, I'm out.

@KKGator hence why we are single?

@Rugglesby Precisely, my friend!!! It's abundantly clear to me that I have made terrible choices when it comes to the men I've chosen to have in my life as partners. I'm not going to do that anymore. 😀

I had a house for 10 but lost it due to unemployment and the resulting foreclosure. That was about 7 years ago and I am planning to buy a house again in a few months.

I bought my first home with a previous partner. I was lucky in that the state doesn't acknowledge common law relationships so when we broke up it was a matter of me buying out her equity. Years later my late partner and I sold the house and moved to the islands into a fixer-upper on 1+ acre.

Five homes, three with wife #1, one with wife #2, and one with wife #3. I'm nothing if not consistent. I hadn't really thought of how many homes I've owned until answering this question. Also, that the last four of them were brand new.

And no, I wasn't / am not wealthy by any definition of the word. Most of the equity from each home carried forward to the next. Three of the five homes, including the present one, were some form of modular / manufactured housing too. No McMansions for me, even if I could afford one.

Why three homes with wife #1? Growing family and her need, due to mental illness, to get more and more remote from the rest of society. We ended up in the middle of 21 acres of woods before that debacle was over. In a sort of ironic twist of fate, the guy who bought that land from me after the divorce, cut down most of the trees and drained the little pond. Gave him a great view of the power company right-of-way I guess.

Bugger re the trees, I live across the road from an 800 acre reserve that the previous owner was made to surrender as punishment for illegally draining other wetlands in the area to put housing estates on, my house included.

No, I've never bought a home and don't plan to ever.

I have purchased a house with my ex and by myself. I am male.

I have, and will never, be able to buy my own home. But....My mother put a down payment on one for my sister and I to live in and raise our kids in ( by ourselves ) so that we could live closer to her. We've now been in the same house for the last 16 years. Our kids are 26 now and live elsewhere with their mates. We now rent out the 3 spare rooms. Three months ago our mother passed and we have inherited the house. I would say we are very lucky. My mother was awesome !! <3 ( That's my story and I'm sticking to it )

I have bought many homes, 1st one on my 21st birthday, 2nd one I bought the land at 27 but took a while to build the house, bought houses/land for investments after that, had 3rd home built at 37, they were all with my ex wife. Bought a unit at 41 on my own but for a partner, sold that to my son later, bought more land and built huge monster of a house with a silent investor, who was a client but also brother to an ex, so I lost that, bought another on my own, sold that and bought this place joint with my son.

I’m a male and can’t afford to buy a house due to low wages and unbearable student debt.

you can also add one to Woman who bought a house. My girlfriend had her house built.

My husband built our home. But no, we've never actually bought one. We own one anyway.

Just two

I bought a home (well flat acutally) at the height of the property market my first a year before it crashed. Now am deciding whether to remortgage or sell and get off the market for a while. For various reasons not alot of equity to play with.

And now she owns it and is selling it and I won't get a penny and I don't care now or cared then. My Freedom is More Important. I am allowed under supervision to visit "my money" every now and then.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:29959
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.