Agnostic.com

5 6

How to stop water bottles from rolling downhill

Watching people run downhill after their rolling water bottle - gaining speed on snow- is funny until it happens to you. Try to catch the bottle without breaking your neck.

Karen is a great experimenter. To keep bottles from rolling downhill, through trial-and-error, she landed on thick rubber bands. Thank you, Karen!

The outer pockets of my day pack are too short for tall bottles. Lean forward to tie a boot lace and bottles fall out.

In the summer I use a CamelBak, 3-liter water system. Drink water as I hike. But the tube and bite valve freeze in the winter.

"I'm not going to re-clip your bottle," hiking partners say.

I don't blame them. For three years, I have been securing tea and water bottles with mitten clips. Through the handles. Mitten clips are designed to thwart kids. They frustrate adults, too.

Rubber bands hold bottles securely in outer pockets.

LiterateHiker 9 Feb 27

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

5 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I would use something like this loked on the backpack
[viraltrend.global]

@Pedrohbds

No clips.

Unclipping my bottle is a pain when hiking, especially when I ask others for help. Nobody wants to remove their pack for a drink of water. The women I hike with don't drink anything until we stop for lunch.

I'm inconveniencing them by asking for someone to hand me my water bottle.

With my CamelBak 3-liter water reservoir and bite valve, I usually drink copious amounts of water. But in the winter, the bite valve and tube freeze up with slush and ice.

With rubber bands, my friends can easily hand me my water bottle and slide it into the outer pocket.

@LiterateHiker don't need to unclip, the wire extends, there are other variations of the same principle.

@Pedrohbds

Metal adds weight. Rubber bands are lightweight.

I want to reduce my pack weight, not increase it.

There is an old saying that I just made up, "You can fix anything with rubber bands, paper clips and duct tape."

@19dacar52

Love it!

You need to start writing a column like Dear Abby. Dear Kathleen...

Often the best solution is the simplest....

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:299739
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.