Agnostic.com

13 2

Does wisdom come with age?

So I’ve always heard that wisdom comes with age and experience. The experience I fully understand. But age doesn’t necessarily imply wisdom does it. At 48 I feel even less wise than I did when I was 28. Granted I was a smartass as 28. Now I’m just a dumbass. But that’s beside the point.

If with age comes experience is true, then is it true that with experience comes age? I’m just old enough to have reached the age where reason and logic, have turned into ‘why did you do that?’ By that I mean I’m tired of searching for answers. Just tell me how to use the remote to set the timer with my Alexa and I will do it until tomorrow, when I forget how and ask you to help me figure out how to do it all over again.

ChrisJones 6 Feb 27

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

13 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Yes, unfortunately I don't have the energy to do anything with it.

Sometimes stupidity just becomes more deeply entrenched.

That's what wives and girlfriends are for.
I was usually the one reading the directions and programming everything in the house while my ex waited.

No.

ummm,

Still, no, nothing to add, just No.

True wisdom is knowing how little you know.

Experience comes with age, wisdom comes with growth

Thats really good.

I think that at 60 I've made most of the mistakes (outside of work) that I'm going to make. And I've been around the block a few times, so I've gained some experience. How does one gain experience? By making mistakes. Lots of them.

I believe wisdom comes from intelligence and experience.

Gohan Level 7 Feb 27, 2018

I like to think wisdom is earned from the challenges one faces. And wether or not they learn from their mistakes.

Nope. I know people who grew into racism, homophobia, and just general douchebaggery as they achieved their senior years. Some grapes become wine, some become rancid vinegar.

Couldn’t agree more!

I like that, I've had too much experience with rancid vinegar.

Wisdom comes with experience.
Experience is achieved (usually) due to poor judgment . I had a very misspent youth full of very poor decisions (would not trade for world).
I'm now a relatively wise woman who tends to ignore that built in, internal, early warning system...usually when it says "you shouldn't say that".

It's a common belief that it does, same goes for instant respect for your elders. But I have always critiqued these notions. No one should automatically deserve respect because of their age. Met plenty of older folks who weren't the sharpest tool in the shed, and plenty of younger folks that also fit this assessment. Also met plenty of younger folks that can easily outwit plenty of older folks and vice versa. I don't respect my racist uncle, for instance. Older folks probably do, however, have more experience in things overall, but this doesn't mean younger folks cannot have some.

I'm 74. Naaah!

gearl Level 8 Feb 27, 2018

Congratulations... you know you beat the odds... hell, I wanna be like you. May you be the last man on earth and the last other voice you hear is mine.

@GipsyOfNewSpain We'll get together!

In Spanish speaking world we have the saying "THE DEVIL KNOWS MORE FOR BEING OLD THAN FOR BEING THE DEVIL". I am sorry but speaking "alexa" does not make you "wise".

Ha! That’s the problem. I don’t speak Alexa. Even Siri don’t listen to me. These dang kids always seem to know how to use this new tech. I don’t have time to learn anything new.

@ChrisJones Start hiding stuff. I used to install cable. I was called on an emergency, there was this 20 year old new tech installing a cable box on a tv with rotary chanel changer.... no remote. He was too embarrassed to ask the customer. I helped him out and told him. "Do not worry I won't tell the crew". I didn't told anyone. There is a lot of technology I bypass just to avoid being more lazy. But I understand your feeling. In the Navy I learned communications from 19th Century Morse Code to 21st Century Satellites and everything in between. We went paperless... discarded teletypes for pc's. 8 inch disk word processors... DOS 2.0 OS. etc, etc, etc.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:30082
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.