Agnostic.com

15 6

Hi, new user from Utah!

I'll admit I'm a bit skeptical about the site but I've been looking for some sense of community. Living in a place like this doesn't really lend itself to much interaction if you're not part of a local ward or stake or whatever. Getting a job? Naw. Dating? Even more nah. Getting judged and looked down on? Now we're talking! =D

I'm sure there are a few people who are from the area, but even those who aren't probably know what all goes on down here. It's weird. Anyhoo, I guess that's my introduction! So...hi! Now that that's done I'll be seeing about joining the conversations here and there, and see where it leads. Hope things go well here. Thanks for reading!

Ersomething 6 Feb 27

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

15 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Oh, the fun and frolic of Utah. As soon as someone asks, "Are you a member?" and you say, "Of what?" the pod people's expression starts to frost over. Of course, if you show the tiniest curiosity about their world, they ask for your address so the missionaries can stop by with a baptismal font on a trailer and park it in your driveway.

Yep! I dunno how many times I've gotten the "oh where did you serve your mission?....oh you didnt..you arent..oh." glare

I remember talking to a coworker who had lived in Salt Lake City for a while. She said it was a miserable place for her—not being a Mormon. She wasn't specific what she was... In retrospect I (Christian at the time) probably missed realizing that she's most likely a freethinker. She'd loan everybody all kinds of fantastic science fiction movies—awesome person!

Anyways, all that's to say, Welcome! And I sincerely hope this site makes you just a little less lonely. It gives my a place to slowly vent my frustrations with my religious past and religious surroundings, connect with others over similar perspectives, and grow through the many wonderful different perspectives that are offered.

Thanks! I think it has already helped. While there are plenty of non mormons in SLC, the culture here definitely makes you feel like an outcast and second class citizen. It's a pretty miserable place. I appreciate the welcome! I'm still dealing with the fallout of being raised religious and it sounds like the case for a vast majority of people here, so I don't doubt we'll have things to talk about! Thanks 🙂

Hey there @Ersomething, welcome to the community! You can make of it what you like -- there's conversation on a wide variety of topics.

Know this: you aren't alone, even in hugely-religious Utah. There's a big community of ex-Mormons out there, and "Gentiles" outnumber active Mormons even in Utah. I found a live, in-person community of non-theists to form friendships with even when I lived in ultra-Baptist Knoxville, Tennessee. It may not be very fashionable there for folks to admit that they don't really believe, but you can be very confident that there are others around you.

And, of course, we're all just a computer screen away. Have fun!

Thanks for the welcome! =) I guess that's one way to look at it. I know quite a few non mormons here but it doesn't help that feeling of being an outcast. Probably because the LDS have the money and the politics and the rest of us just have to go along with it.

you will find a place here

Awesome! Thanks!

I feel your pain. I'm from Kansas and while we have less Mormons we have our share of less inclusive religious social structures

That's never fun =( Who do you have there? Also hi! =D

@Ersomething we have the Mennonites and the Covenant Church dun dun dun! Hi🙂

I know it's probably fine from their perspective, but from the outside I always wonder why they always have to have such creepy doomsday cult names.

@Ersomething must be because they truly believe God will one day destroy the earth and raise the true believers. Sometimes I wish the rapture would come.

@LadyAlyxandrea true, then we all could have all the fun! And if they literally disappear and leave their stuff behind..It's like,oh hi stuff.

@Ersomething I love stuff. Especially rich people stuff.

Howdy stranger!

Just in case you don't realize it, most people here probably don't even know what a ward or stake is. As far as I know, only Mormons belong to them. That said, welcome to the jungle, or should I say "Welcome to Babylon!"

And from a Gentile to a Saint, I admire your courage for jumping into the painful pool of self-reflection and questioning.

Also, relax. This isn't really the forum of Outer Darkness. 🙂

The first time someone mentioned a stake to me I asked if they were burning someone. Apparently they didn't find it funny. I'm sure they've heard it before...but its their fault for calling it a freakin stake. And the first time I heard "We have to hear the wisdom of the Quorum of the Twelve" I was 100 % nope nope nope.
Thanks for the welcome =)

Welcome to the dollhouse! 😉

Thanks! 🙂

Welcome. Good to see another Ute here. I lived in Salt Lake for many years, also in Price. I now live in Arizona. I think you will like this site. I know I have only been here a week or so and I really like it. Just jump right in.
P.S. You won’t miss the fry sauce.
Also tell Mellie what fry sauce is.

Fry sauce aka: lets add mayo to ketchup. bleh! Yeah so far I'm enjoying it. Someday I hope to leave the SLC area and have breathable air..

I didn't ever live in Utah, but it might as well have been. It was a mile across the border in Wyoming in a place where the percentage of LDS was higher than in Salt Lake City. I can relate. Be yourself here.

Yeah SLC is like, the least mormon part of Utah but its LDS where it counts (aka job prospects haha) I will attempt to be myself insofar as it doesn't scare people off 🙂

Hello, welcome and enjoy the site!

Thanks, I think I will! Seems cool so far!

Welcome!

Thanks!

Welcome to the asylum!!! Enjoy your stay!
Be at ease. Many of us are here for community, not dating. Some come for dating, and stay for community. It's a very diverse group, and for the most part, everyone is the shit. There are some super intellectual people here, and then, there are straight-up goofballs, like me.
If you relax, participate in some of the discussions, post some fucked up shit of your own, you'll find yourself wanting to hang out here more and more.
Okay, that's what happened to me. Your mileage may vary.

Sounds like a plan. I figure I'd be okay with the dating stuff and the community stuff. The latter is far more likely for me to accomplish than the former!
As for conversation I'm definitely not the smartest poster, but I like to put a humorous quirky spin on things. Oh and puns. I know my strengths hehe. Also thanks for the welcome! 🙂

@Ersomething Don't sell yourself short. You found your way here, didn't you?
As for "humorous quirky spin", I make more humorous (to me) posts than serious ones. Just be yourself. You'll like it here.

Welcome.

Thanks!

@Ersomething Yep.

If you reach level 10, you and your partner will inherit your own private planet, and when you die, you'll be a god of said planet. There's nothing to be skeptical about!

Nothing I could reply with could be funnier than what you already said, you win =)

I'm trying to get to level 5. Do I get to be the goddess of the sunny half of the planet at that point? 😛

@Karen916
No, but you get issued the magic underwear.

And you get to look at the temple. you can't go inside yet, but you can look at it!

Welcome. You will be rewarded.

ooh, I like rewards! As long as its not any of that like, enlightenment stuff =) Seriously though, thanks for the greeting!

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:30115
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.