Agnostic.com

33 1

Which group of people would be more likely to help those in need... theists, agnostics or atheists? Why?

As background to the question above I’m currently doing some research into how people’s theistic beliefs influences their views on things like philanthropy, wealth creation and living responsibly. Would be fascinated to hear your honest views on this question.

• 9 votes
  • 8 votes
  • 24 votes
stillsy 4 Mar 3

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

33 comments (26 - 33)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

i don't think a person's likelihood to help a person in need can be broken down that way. there are good people and bad people and generous people and stingy people and people in a position to help others who will or won't, and people not in a position to help others who would or wouldn't if only they could, and it has more to do with who they are than what they are. there are those who are brainwashed by certain religions or religious leaders to think some people are not worthy of being helped, but apart from that, just saying theists doesn't give a clue as to how they'd react. there are those for whom, for example, doing a mitzvah is the best thing ever, or who think jesus wants them to give give give, and there are those whose preachers have convinced them that everyone should pull themselves up by their own bootstraps. not all theists are alike. there are also generous and stingy atheists and agnostics, whose only advantage in all this is that their generosity or stinginess is their own and unrelated to religion.

g

I can only say that while the beliefs regarding philanthropy, etc. may be influenced by religiousness/non-religiousness, the actual actions are more influenced by the wealth they perceive they have. The wealth one has is a direct reflection on how much they value wealth. The less one has the less they value it (otherwise they would put more effort into its accumulation) and so they are far more apt to give it away and not be concerned about accumulating it. So the better question might be, "does religious belief effect how one values wealth?", but that opens a whole different can of worms.

Theists would readily help people of their own religion. They are less likely to help people who disagree with them.

Agnostics ... see atheists.

Atheists are thinking people and are more likely to have a good understanding of ethics than religious people. Therefore, I believe atheists would be more likely to help those in need.

@PalacinkyPDX I've been thinking about this. It's not too much to hope that religion dies a slow death, to the point that there is no belief in god. But there will never be a world without dicks and assholes. It's nice to think that all atheists came from a place of ethical understanding. But any woman-hating, racist, rhino-poaching, loathsome dickmouth can be an atheist

@PalacinkyPDX Sure, there are good atheists and bad atheists, just as there are good theists and bad theists. But, speaking from personal experience, I never gave ethics a second thought when I was a theist. I was taught to listen to what the church leaders told me, and obey them. Only when I left theism did I think to base my actions on the science of ethics. I am a much more compassionate man as an atheist than I ever was as a theist.

@BestWithoutGods that was not my experience of religion, but then, i was raised a secular jew, and my understanding of my inherited religion is that ethics are a HUGE part of it, and we are not threatened with hell, tempted with heaven or crushed into obedience while being told that our raison d'être was to help others, and that as long as one person isn't free, no one is free. i understand that this is not necessarily true of christianity, though, and everything i hear here reinforces that understanding.

g

Decent people of all ilks.

I chose theists not because they're better but thinking logically
Provided that the quantity and the financial status on each side are equals
Theists usually have stronger community and have closer social life makes them talk about things and stand together.. good people could belong to any group but the causes or the motives could be different

Neenz Level 7 Mar 7, 2019

Because we love all good people and we accept others

Do the religious help because they're told to? Would they be as helpful if not religious? I'm skeptical of people who help because they're told to.

I help because I want to. I generally help those I see in immediate distress. I rescue animals. I'll be the first to jump in if I see a car accident or someone in danger. I prefer to help individuals and rarely just give $ to causes. I prefer to give my time and effort.

Imagine how much better the world would be if people would tithe to real causes instead of the church.

I think there is a big difference between wanting to help for the sake of helping, and helping only because one wants to feel good about one self. Which label belongs to which option?....that part is debateable...

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:302471
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.