Agnostic.com

15 1

Can you stand people that are too immature? Do you have a low tolerance for them?

When I was in high school I could rarely stand men my own age, they were always too immature and demeaning towards others. I even noticed a good handful of level-headed folks put up with it. At one point I'd sit with my brother and his friends (seniors) while I was a freshman and sophomore (during lunch). After he had gone, my entire friend circle was made up of mostly women because I was having a hard time finding any where near as many problems with them than with men my own age.

AustinSkepticus 7 Feb 28

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

15 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I have a low tolerance for ignorant behavior male or female.

If immature means people who are into drama and starting conflicts, who are noisy attention seekers - I run, don't walk but run to escape them. People who are "young" in a good sense - curious, enjoy having fun and playing funny pranks - they are fine with me.

SKH78 Level 8 Mar 1, 2018

You'd hate me - I've just been giggling because someone used the term "bottom line" in a post and it made me think of buttcracks.

Jnei Level 8 Mar 1, 2018

I don't like immaturity, which I define as someone who refuses to take responsibility for themselves. But I do appreciate people who have a childlike sense of wonder and curiosity, because they still see reality but never stop growing.

No and yes. There is nothing wrong with having mostly female friends.

I have an intolerance for whininess.

What is wrong with immature people. I treat them like children. I love children. They can be fun but sometimes have to be dealt with sternly. I think you may be confusing immature with rude bully types.

My best friend has been getting under my skin for a couple of years. We met when we were five, have been each other's best man...done everything together...brothers from different mothers. But he hasn't gotten over the early 70's way of life that every chance you get...you get as intoxicated as you can. Smoke it. Drink it. Snort it. Drop it. Repeat. All day...every day. When you're not at work that is. Is his addiction driving his immaturity...or his immaturity and failure to recognize that this isn't 1971 anymore driving his desire to abuse?

So when you're going to an event, everything has to be planned around his ability to abuse his substances. His wife is my best female friend, but she is conditioned to simply put her head down and doesn't address it. When we go up to the mountain towns to see the aspen...he's got a cooler even though the bar is only 45min away where we'll be having lunch. When we go to the drag races near Denver without his wife, he brings a cooler that it takes two men and a boy to carry. By the time the race gets postphoned for a rain delay, we're not leaving the track until 10p, and he's been imbibing for close to 12hrs. Here comes that drunk talk.

I've been choosing activities with them more carefully because of this issue. I may only have 10 alcoholic drinks per year and have my one hit of pot at night, so after a few hours of hanging out he's orbiting a different planet than I am. Going out for dinner is ok because its short term. Going to the lake with their Hobie-Cat is fine at first, but when it comes time to put the boat away at the end of the 12hr day in a thunderstorm when he's hammered, its no fun. Sure he's a functioning addict, but since no real trouble has come from his constant use, he think's he's ok.

there are different brands of immaturity. Some qualities that people call immature are really harmful - an inability to empathize, to manage your emotions, to be responsible - at some point that becomes sociopathy. That’s very different from sometimes being silly and enjoying doing kid stuff.

for sure

The immaturity of teens was very painful to my teen self.

When I arrived at college the older kids thought I was a transfer student. (I was as clueless as any Freshman but somehow that didn't show). Always had older friends when I was younger.

And yes even when you're an adult - you need to be immature now and then. But not the way it was then...

I think of that as not having gotten out of the tribal mentality. People speak of female groups, yet the young guys are basically the same, wearing 'uniforms' acting, moving, everything is group think.

Because they haven't learned the sweetness of having one's own thoughts and opinions.

(Tho the debate continues on, about our free thinking abilities)

So like identity foreclosure?

@AustinSkepticus have to think about that one, lol

Everyone has to grow older, but nobody has to be mature!

I'm 65 yrs old, but far too immature for most people..my idea of fun is wading in swamps, climbing cliffs, and hiking through jungles in pursuit of candid wildlife and bird photos.

I ride a motorbike, have almost no responsibilities, and have friends of many religions, ethnicities, gender orientations, gender identities-kind of like college kids do.

Have ii told you lately that i love you?

@mangro LOL! You might not think that if you had to put up with me for long.

did you win the lottery or something?

@SeeCanU I am an ESL teacher, but the cost of living is very low here in Thailand.

@birdingnut what is ESL

@birdingnut I tend to overdo silly and way underdo(is that even a word) seriousness like most all the time......so on a serious note,you are my favorite coolest person on this website....as my daughter would say....you are really woke! it seems to me the more diversity a person experiences ,the more tolerant and non- judgemental they are and you sorta prove that. your really badass ! PEACE

@mangro ESL = English as a second language

@mangro Well, thanks! I'm mostly cool from a distance, but you're right..I've been exposed to more cultures than many.

Splendid!!!

I'm a couple of years younger, still ride (and race) motorbikes, mountain bikes. I play silly games and have a childish sense of humour - I like silly.

I still haven't lost that child-like curiosity. What is it? Why?How? Can I have a go?

I love diversity and travelling to experience different cultures and societies. Race, culture, orientation and gender are irrelevant to whether or not we will get on. If you're OK, then you're OK. Simples!

I should have been more specific, I suppose. Of course it's good be immature at times, I'm referring to peaked levels where it may even mess with the persons judgement. I do also agree that it is also possible to be too mature.

I don't like anyone under 40! Hahahhahha

Depends on the type of immaturity and if they're ALWAYS immature or if they can act right when needed.

I can be pretty damn childish but what bothers me is when they're irresponsible and selfish and annoying. Like buying an Xbox when you work part time two days a week while your mom pays you and your 6 kids bills and have no desire to actually you know pull your own weight those people are just awful.

Well then! I'm sorry to hear about that sort of situation existing.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:30515
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.