Agnostic.com

17 14

Unvaccinated Oregon boy nearly died from tetanus. Cost of his care was nearly $1 million.

His parents should be charged for medical costs.

Even after he nearly died, his mother refused to let him get vaccinations. This floored me.

@PalacinkyPDX reported on another post:

"The good news is the Oregon Legislature has a bill which will close up virtually all the inoculation exemptions, and it's expected to pass. The bad news is, lots of idiots are still willing to expose their children to these levels of danger.

"The outbreak of measles in Washington State was largely started in the Russian Evangelical Immigrant community (who are very suspicious of any government directives). It rapidly spread to other non-inoculated kids. In response (of course, it's always after a crisis) Washington State has just passed a law requiring parents get their children a full range of shots and put a stop to this crap."

[nbcnews.com]

LiterateHiker 9 Mar 9

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

17 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I thought I mentioned it was only vaccine I gave my children.

Their rights end where the rights of me and my family to not be made ill, begin.

if vaccines work how could your children be hurt.

@gigihein First of all, those rights were meant to be inclusive of everyone. I worded that poorly. Secondly, are you under the mistaken belief that vaccines are 100% effective? What about children that are too young to have been vaccinated as of yet? What about the risks to their own child, who almost died? Herd immunity is only so effective. Use your head.

@mooredolezal msybe you should do some research on pertussis vaccine. do they ever give the list of warnings to parents or adults?? look them up.

@gigihein Looking up warnings is not going to tell me whether they were given. I just received a Tdap vaccine last year and had to sign a waiver, in addition to being informed by the nurse administering the shot of possible side effects. As an attorney I would be incredulous to find that a drug company would not give warnings. Why would they open themselves up to lawsuits for failure to warn? For that matter, why would the person administering the shot? Certain societal norms have to be followed for the benefit of society at large. That is why you cannot drive down the freeway as fast as you want, nor can you dump hazardous waste on your own property. An omission that damages the rights of the public at large is a crime and the public has the right to not be exposed too hazardous diseases. It is called a public nuisance. You can Google it.

You mean they don't have to pay? If not why not?

He should be taken away from the family. One mistake, ok. Now the child's welfare is at risk.

My nephew's live-in, mother of his child is an anti-vaxxer, and her illogical stand against modern medicine (amongst other things) has cost their child a LOT. He not only ended up with some life-altering issues, but he is a threat to the entire family, and to his classmates and playmates. I would love to see anti-vaxxers fined or incarcerated for the damage they cause when they subject the rest of the world to their idiology and ... dare I say it? Their idiocy... Just when we think we have certain medical situations (illness, etc) under control, a few unvaccinated children cause it to "re-appear" (or would that be resurrect?) to cause yet another outbreak and sickness. Selfish, I say...

There has been a measles outbreak in Europe. Again, the cause was an influx of immigrants from countries with low vaccine rates. Again, immigration should not be about people but policies that protect all people in a country, immigrants and citizens alike. We are too quick to simply open our doors, no questions asked and then wonder why when problems arise. We have enough crackpots in the country already.

@JesseThompson Facts are facts whether they appeal to our cognitive dissonance or not.

Do not allow those "parents" to declare bankruptcy.

And take the child away from them. The boy requires protection.

And require sterilization of both.

That would be nice but it is illegal to even sterilize convicted sex offenders.

@JackPedigo ... we are 7.5 billion. some of us can go with only positive consequences.

@Jacar ?

@JackPedigo . . .time of reassessment

Child abuse.......

Conspiracists say that vaccines bring disease to reduce population, everything for this anti-vaccine personnel is the creation of the new world order.

As a "Populationist," I am sure there are too many humans on the planet. Especially too many children without parents. These youngsters will extend the conflict and the recovery.

We have nearly killed the insects, (bees, butterflies,...) because of our inability to group-learn in real-time, as the result of the exponential growth of our species.

I think the continued use of Round-Up is a symptom of a human autoimmune disease: We are killing ourselves. And determined to increase our efforts.

I am all with GAIA is like tired of the disruption of its balance caused by a single planetary critter.

Getting HOT is a great way to kill/reduce some diseases which are caused by viruses, and bacterias.

Spreading the ideas of anti-vaxing is one of the most obvious GAIA would use, given the capacity of the human brain's ability to know nothing and believe it does not matter.

20 states are trying to pass legislation to allow vaccine exemptions.

[cnn.com]

@mzbehavin You know, I keep hearing that the thing most likely to wipe out much of the human race is going to be disease. At this rate, it could be multiple diseases.
Small pox could make a comeback, Bubonic Plague is still around, there are all sorts of diseases that could wipe out a good portion of the population.
Measles is already back, mumps is back, whooping cough never left.

Who says "stupid" can't kill?

@mzbehavin Word

A truly horrible way for anyone to suffer and die, especially for a child, the parents should not only be ordered to pay the medical costs but also charged with Willful child Abuse resulting in Preventable Suffering and Death.

I just cannot believe the willful ignorance and arrogance of the anti-vaxxers. I’m old enough to have had vaccines for smallpox and polio. I’m GLAD I didn’t need 8 kids to get one to adulthood safely. Which people used to regularly do, putting themselves at a huge risk too. Nor had to watch them suffer in an iron lung from polio, followed by a lifetime of physical damage.

Well, dead is not autistic. seems like she might be right. and it follows if her kid kills your kid, your kid can't be autistic either. she did you a favor.

and shocking though it is, you have to compare the $1million to the care her autistic child would have needed as autistic.

i need to figure out a way to de-vaccinate my children.

and then there is the science...

Shows just how selfishly damaging these anti=vaccers are.

There’s dumb and dumber, then there’s this. Either can’t or won’t learn. If she won’t learn the kids should be taken away based on abuse/neglect.

CS60 Level 7 Mar 9, 2019

Everyone who is medically able should be vaccinated.

The antivaxxers are very dangerous.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:307061
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.