Agnostic.com

36 3

As of now I'm Agnostic. Wondering if I should fully convert to Atheism. Thoughts? Or facts please? Thanks in advance.

AtheistLJ 5 Mar 1

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

36 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

You don’t convert, there is no catechism, no graduation. If you have doubts about there being a master being but unable to let go of the need to feel something controls you life and fear the absolutism of death, you are Agnostic. If you no longer need to believe that there is more than the life you are living, that yourself and chance control what happens to you, and that when you die, you no longer exist, then you are an Athiest. There should be no stigma attached to either appellation. Then there is always Humanist and non-believer if you don’t feel like you need to choose one of the other labels.

You don't convert you evolve

We're not saying we "know", we're saying we don't "believe "

I was in limbo as an agnostic for years, then questioned why I was "on the fence" . As an agnostic, you believe there is room for doubt. Once I realized I had no doubt, I became an atheist

You have to ask yourself, what else are you agnostic about? You don't go around saying there are probably not pink unicorns hidden somewhere on earth but sense no one can prove they don't exist I will say that they might.

Just do it. The only way god could possibly exist is if he were defined as something that could possibly exist, but he's just not. And if you change the definition you're just cheating anyways.

Use the word atheist because it decreases the chances of holy rollers trying to convert you.

I think the main advantage of being an agnostic versus an atheist is: If there is an afterlife and you do find yourself before the Almighty, you can say, "God. I didn't see you." It's a poor defense, but it is better than saying, "God. I won't see you." For me it breaks down to is the believers say they know there is a God. Atheist say they believe there is no god. Neither side has provided overwhelming evidence to prove their position or deny the other's. Jury is still out. I apply Sagan's Standard. Wait until one side or the other proves it.

If you view the definition of agnostic, it says you have no theist or atheist view either way. If you are already leaning towards atheist, sounds like you are already an agnostic atheist. It is not a simple yes or no. There are levels of confidence or doubt for both theists and atheists. I am an agnostic atheist. I feel pretty confident that there is no God, but I also know that I cannot know that absolutely. To say you are 100% certain either way, you would be a gnostic atheists or gnostic theist, which in my opinion is not intellectually honest. No one on either side can "know" absolutely.

The main reasons I am an x-Christian are many but basically:

1. many ambiguities, contradictions, and in some cases outright incorrect Bible information
  2. no verifiable evidence of a God ever
  3. no verifiable evidence of an afterlife ever
  4. given massive indiscriminate random suffering from natural disasters and diseases, if there is a God it is a sadistic and evil entity, or completely powerless not worthy of worship
  5. animal and sea life is a complete blood and guts world, another sign that if there is a "designer" God, it is a sadistic and evil entity
  6. most people strongly believe that their religion (and there are many) is the one "truth" based primarily on their random birthplace. Born in India, probably Hindu. Born in Mexico, likely Catholic. Born in Egypt, Muslim....

You believe or you don't

If you want to convert, you'll need to sacrifice a goat to the void. Them's the rules! 😉

Seriously, though, if you don't believe in a God or gods, you can call yourself an atheist if you'd like. It sounds like you're a weak/soft/negative atheist (where you have no belief, but you don't assert that no God or gods exist), as opposed to a strong/hard/positive atheist who claims no God or gods exist. I wouldn't get hung up on the labels, but it can be helpful as shorthand when talking with other nontheists. (I tend to be careful calling myself an atheist of any stripe when talking with a believer just because they tend to bring so much baggage of their own to the term and too often stop listening to anything else I have to say after they hear that word.)

I reckon you'll find your own way, the conversion thing comes from religion if you get my drift. To be an Atheist is simply an non belief, and with me it's rooted deep in my brain, I never got any of the God thing even when my age was in single digits . I remember being in Sunday School with my mate Richard Dawkins ,I remember saying to him "Don't you think this Jesus dude is a real Dudly do right ?" He replied " I only seek the truth and God is a delusion !" and Christopher Hitchins said " God is not great" and then lit a cigarette , we where only 6 years old ..LOL

It can be a gradual process or occasionally some facts jel into you making the decision. I rate myself as 99.9% - although my mind says a god is impossible......

I would be interested to know why you have become 'agnostic' and what agnostic means to you.

Atheism is purely a disbelief of the claims by theists that a god/s exists. As others have said, Theism and gnosticism are different prongs of the same question - gnosticism is what you claim to know and theism is what you believe.

You say you 'decided' to become agnostic on your bio, which seems like an odd choice of words. Most people (in my experience) realise that the god of the bible/quran/insert religion of choice doesn't exist and then start to question their belief in any god. Believing isn't generally a choice.

Think things through, read through the posts on here, ask questions (which you have obviously already started to do) and take your time.

When you start to question the 'facts' you had always been told were true, it takes time a courage to challenge that. Especially when those that you trust around you are telling you that you that you are wrong.

I wish you well in your transition and hope you find answers to your questions.

Oh - and welcome in. I think you'll like it here.

read then read some more and then don't stop reading . all the sciences , dawkins , hitchins and harris . then you will come to a conclusion no conversion neeeded

No need to convert, do what you want. There is a lot of pretty pointless mental masturbation going on about the differences between agnostic and atheist. Pick a label or just call yourself a non-believer. Anything you choose is ok. You don't need to defend or justify your choice to anyone.

FWIW, I agree with @atheist

Follow your heart and don't lable youself.

It is not a matter of converting. It is a simple matter to deciding that you are certain that you do not believe in any god or religion.When you decide that, you are an atheist.

When de-converting from christianity the initial decision would not necessarily be to "fully convert to atheism", but rather to change your lifestyle. Meaning, that you make a decision to live your life as if there is no god or at least that the Bible is a worthless document with respects to life and practice. After living life the way you want to for some time you won't need to "decide" to become an atheist, you will realize you are one...

Check out Fighting God by David Silverman (president of American Atheists)

Marz Level 7 Mar 1, 2018

Those words aren't really levels of non-belief. They mean 2 different things. Agnostic means you don't KNOW if there is a god or not. Atheism means you don't BELIEVE there is a god. Therefore I am both, I don't BELIEVE there is a god (atheist), but I can't KNOW for sure if there is one or not (agnostic).

Convert? How does one go about converting to atheism? Are there rituals? Does it involve eating a baby bbq or danicng naked in a science lab? 😉

Actually, I'm agnostic for a lot of reasons, and very happy to be so. I have atheist friends and get along great with them, but I'm me, and they're them... I would say, "Go where your heart leads you," but instead I'll say, go where you're most comfortable.

I'd say don't "convert" to atheism for the sake of it. It you come to truly believe there is no supernatural beings that guide us, then in fact you are automatically an atheist. Otherwise, you just make it sound like another form of religion, which it is not.

godef Level 7 Mar 1, 2018

Just do what feels right to you. I personally don't see the allure of labelling

As someone else pointed out, the term "Agnostic" has nothing to do with religion.
You're either an:
Agnostic Atheist--Doesn't believe, but doesn't claim absolutely that there is no God.
Gnostic Atheist--Doesn't believe, and claims there is NO God.
Agnostic Theist--Believes in God, but doesn't claim absolutely that there is a God
Gnostic Theist--Believes in God, and claims there is absolutely a God.

A visual. You’re already one or the other.

Yes, the two words refer to two different things.

I thought the term was first used to address religion. If true then that's it's roots.

Gnostic and agnostic refer to knowledge about whatever subject you’re speaking. Theism and atheism refer to belief. @JeffB

@JeffB I should have worded my statement as: "Not exclusive to religion" as I think the word has evolved from the original reference.

@NothinnXpreVails I'm aware that the word gnosic means knowledge, and this a-gnostic uses the normal rules to mean without knowledge. We are on the same page there. But.... I'm pretty sure no one used the term before Huxley, who used it to refer to religion. If he didn't invite the word, then he is likely responsible for it's appearance in the English language. All I'm saying is that you cannot call it not legitimate usage if that is how it was introduced into the language and used that way for years and still used that way.

@AgnosticLJ I am Agnostic Atheist, as well. That, to me, seems like the most logical position to take at this time.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:30804
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.