Agnostic.com

69 8

I recently became single because my ex decided he couldn't live with my cat. Prior to this, he kept giving me ultimatums: the cat leaves or he does. Would any of you give up your pet to make somebody else happy?

ShabbyChicGirl 5 Mar 1

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

69 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

You made the right choice. No way. My cat comes first...probably before me...hehe...hope he doesn't ask me to move out..

It depends upon the reason my partner is asking. And how important my partner is to me.

marga Level 7 Mar 1, 2018

Were they allergic? Was the cat doing something?

JeffB Level 6 Mar 1, 2018

LOL this made me laugh.
Kitteh is planning teh evil to find a better step parent, knocks things over and blames the BF LOL

@ShabbyChicGirl You kind of buried the lead there ???? fuck that dude

Her Royal Cuteness and I are a package deal. Have been since day one.
It's one of the reasons I had for ending my last attempt at a relationship. There were
other reasons, but he didn't want me bringing my dog when I'd spend the weekend.
She's been with me every day for almost the last twelve years. I'd never give her up,
for anyone. If someone cares about you, why would they want you to give up something
that makes you happy?

I think I might keep a bag of clothes ready in the cupboard just in case any future partners try to make me decide between them and my cat - so they can be straight out the door without even needing to pack.

Jnei Level 8 Mar 1, 2018

NOPE. If you had the pet when you met and he decides he(or she) doesn't like the pet/cat the person is being passive agressive and using the animal as an excuse to get out of the relationship. This is my humble opinion, he lacks honesty, instead of talking about what is really bothering him in the relationship uses the cat to get out. You choose wisely.

Partners will come and go...pets are with you until "death do us part". Right call

@Lonely can't say for sure, but pretty sure one is more likely to be killed by their spouse than pet

Hell no. I'm a package deal, and that includes my pets

It had nothing to do with the cat he was just to much if a coward to tell the truth .

@SimonMorgan1 I once read that a man would rather chew his own arm off before telling a woman he is no longer interested. While I know this is an exaggeration, I always keep that in the back of my mind. Seems to fit in this situation.

It was nice knowing you. Take care. Buh bye now.

Don't let the door hit you in the ass on your way out!!

I don't take kindly to ultimatums. Knowing me, I probably would have kept the cat even if I was considering giving it away.

I'm assuming he knew about your cat before (or shortly after) he started dating you. If that's the case he should not have gotten into a relationship with you knowing you had a cat if he was that much against being around one.

You really did need a guy who actred like that.

F**k no. BTDT with the BF who didn't like my cat or dog, didn't give them up but the relationship didn't last anyway. Just NO.

I love cat. I will never leave someone because they have pets that I don't like. I will learn how to deal with it. In a relationship that what a person supposed to do deal with thing if not than kick rock.

Never had a problem with pets.

However, my ex posted this after I left.....

I should add, if you got the cat knowing say, he was hideously allergic to begin with that is one thing...but if he just simply doesn't like cats, or proceeded anyway hoping to convince you to choose...uhm what else do you have to give up...

No. 🙂

Betty Level 8 Mar 1, 2018

In his defense, though, cats are evil. 😉

When a cat takes a dislike to someone they can turn into a little demon. 😀

Evil, evil kitty!

@sandyw1952 my first glance saw that as a cat in a roasting pan. ACK

Often you get back the energy you put into cats (or dogs). 😉

If my cats really don't like someone - I'm going to reassess my opinion.

So far it's only smokers that freak them out (The smell on their fingers). No they do NOT smoke in my house.

@RavenCT I actually kind of like cats, but I don't generally want one as a pet. I like dogs far more. 🙂

@resserts I'm that rare entity - a cat AND a dog person.

Cats are easier as I become decrepit - but I enjoyed the heck out of my dog!

@RavenCT There are some cats I'd love to have as a pet — they seem to channel their inner dog — but you can't really tell until they're fully grown what a cat's temperament will be. Dogs are usually a little more predictable in that way.

@resserts Norwegian Forest Cat - and Maine Coons are safe bets for some dog like behavior. I have a MC MIx and he's my watch cat.

I would not likely do so. What is the problem with a darned Cat anyway?

Judas & Hitler would be passing out ice skates & parkas before I'd give up my dog for a dick.

Sounds like good riddance. If he was allergic, then it's understandable but it's too much to ask. If he's not, then he's just a jerk.

Silverotter has it right. If you had the cat when you met and this person started a relationship with you anyway, while continuing to passive-aggressively suggest "it's me or the cat," then the person needed to go. The cat wasn't the problem.

I have a little dog and I know that if I was given an ultimatum like that, I would be instantly unattracted. I have others in my life that see the value in the love I have for my dog and they love her too. If him being happy requires making me Unhappy about something?

I could not be with someone like that.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:30902
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.