Agnostic.com

69 8

I recently became single because my ex decided he couldn't live with my cat. Prior to this, he kept giving me ultimatums: the cat leaves or he does. Would any of you give up your pet to make somebody else happy?

ShabbyChicGirl 5 Mar 1

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

69 comments (26 - 50)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Never had a problem with pets.

However, my ex posted this after I left.....

I should add, if you got the cat knowing say, he was hideously allergic to begin with that is one thing...but if he just simply doesn't like cats, or proceeded anyway hoping to convince you to choose...uhm what else do you have to give up...

No. 🙂

Betty Level 8 Mar 1, 2018

I would not likely do so. What is the problem with a darned Cat anyway?

Judas & Hitler would be passing out ice skates & parkas before I'd give up my dog for a dick.

Silverotter has it right. If you had the cat when you met and this person started a relationship with you anyway, while continuing to passive-aggressively suggest "it's me or the cat," then the person needed to go. The cat wasn't the problem.

I have a little dog and I know that if I was given an ultimatum like that, I would be instantly unattracted. I have others in my life that see the value in the love I have for my dog and they love her too. If him being happy requires making me Unhappy about something?

I could not be with someone like that.

All I will say is that I would not ask a family member to give up their pet to accommodate ME. Unless maybe the decision to have said pet was unilateral, I wasn't consulted, and my issue was not mere dislike but some horrible allergy or something. Apart from that it'd be fine to set some ground rules for how the pet interacts with me. For example my wife and I frequently eat in the living room while watching TV, and she does NOT like the dogs on the couch with her while she's eating, even though they don't pester her, but just look longingly from a distance. I don't personally care. But I put them in the mud room while we eat so that she's comfortable. It's the same deal when she's cooking, she doesn't want to trip over them. I think reasonable compromises like that should take care of most issues.

Ummm - NO !

If it is because of severe allergies then his health and well being should take precedence if you really care about him. Otherwise a cat is no big deal and he can get adjusted to that.

there is a country song where the wife is telling the guy her or fishing. The chorus is about how he is going to miss her when he gets back. I like my pets. Someone who is not interested in animals in general or pets would not be a good match for me. I would never ditch a pet for a two legger

I absolutely would not. Being willing to or requiring that I dump a beloved pet would be a huge point of incompatibility. Super huge.

Zster Level 8 Mar 1, 2018

Never!

My boys (2 Shih Tzus, 12 and 13 yrs old) are family, nobody comes before family.

I refuse to have a dog in the house, of any size. I grew up with 4 wonderful dogs -- big ones on the backyard, while my wife had house dogs. I forbid her from getting house dogs, for several reasons. But once we move to a house with a nice yard, I'd see no problem. Would I leave her if she insisted and got a house pet? Maybe

No. Just no.

I guess if I ever get serious about dating I'd have to add "Allergic to pets - need not apply".

I myself am allergic to cats and dogs. I've had both - at the same time. You take a pill. Or two.

Granted if it's anaphyalaxsis - that's different. But no could not re home.

I went 37 years hearing "Your sister is allergic it would be like telling her not to visit!". She also now has a cat. (Allergies can change over time. She was scarily allergic as a child. Not now.

Nofucking way. My animals come first always.

Not a chance. My pets are part of my family. That would be like asking me to get rid of one of my kids. If given that ultimatum I would just say, "There's the door."

No way! If there was a severe allergy or if my pet was biting then maybe

Hit the road Jill and don't let the door hit you in the rear on your way out.

Nope. Love me love my fur ball.

I'm not even going to bother reading the 38 comments. If you have a relationship with your pet and somebody doesn't like, tell him/her to pack his/her bags and get the fuck out. Unless it's an allergy thing; then you can offer an opportunity to work on it.

I'd be slamming the door on their sorry ass before they even finished speaking.

Noooooooooooooooooo

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:30902
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.