Agnostic.com

13 2

Best way to free friends from religious oppression?

Persistence seems to work best for me.

StevenJamz 3 Mar 1

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

13 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I think it is introducign them to the actual originas of the bible. For instance biblical scholars say that the Jews (Hebrews) were originally a group of outcasts from toher tribes who came together to form their own tribe. The old testament is an amalgamatin of foru previous religious traditions, whcih is why it is often ctradictory. Teh new testament was writeen at least 200 years after Jesus supposedly died. Orignially there were over 60 "gospels" all of them contrdictory, and they settled ont eh current four included in the new testament because they could carve a single narrative from them despite a few contrdictions. However they also incoprated idea "borrowed" or plagerizes from other religions fo the time. That is where the virgin birth, teh miracles and th eressurection all came from..

As I was raised Mormon, I also have lerned about hwothe Book of Mormon is historically very inaccurate.

I can't do that for them. They have to see the light on their own. I do try to set a good example of what a non-believer can be like. Sure don't think my life looks like I am living in hell.

I try to avoid arguing with the alt-right and most Christians, although I sometimes get annoyed on the MK (missionary kid) Facebook page and make a snide remark debunking the Bible if I'm attacked.

But there are so many former Christians on this website, something must have worked. In my case, it was observation of Christian friends' racist and rejecting behavior, reading the Bible in the original Greek and Hebrew, and reading the Sumerian texts, which predate the Bible by 2000 years but are obviously the source of the Bible stories.

They need to find their own way. Beliefs are a personal choice, as are actions. As zeuser commented, lead by example, but if they choose not to follow, you cannot force them. If this concept is too hard for you to accept and/or your friend's beliefs are causing a strain on your friendship, then you can choose to walk away. You don't have to keep people in your life if it's hard for you to be around them.

The only way is to just be yourself and do your thing. Show kindness and thoughtfulness. You can never convince someone to not be religious, its something they have to come into on their own. And try to avoid offending them. Even if its very hard to do. Because even if theyre still stuck on the whole "going to hell" thing, you did the good-person thing.

I'm not sure what the best answer is, but so can tell you that Christians who have persistently tried to recruit me to their churches have only succeeded in irritating me, straining or dissolving relationships, and made me double down in my convictions. Trying to change someone's belief system through persistence is a double edged sword I think.

Trying to free them is just as bad as they forcing you to BE religious. They might come around....... or might not.

By example. The next best approach, don't even try.

My best advice is don't try they must realise in there own time. Forcing them by any means will drive them deeper in. Self realisation of religious beliefs being false or not all that's taught must be individual choice all you can do is let them be. Once they feel it's not for them they'll leave but definitely don't pressure them into going cold turkey.

lost one of my best friends years ago to her Catholic church.We're in different worlds now.

Job's story in the Bible proves that no matter how much shit you throw at some people, they'll never reconsider....

I have never understood how anyone can believe in a benevolent "God" that see nothing wrong using one of his children in a bet with the devil. That's pretty screwed up.

@kiramea LOL! The book of job is as entertaining as any of the Greek God stories, but the message is wrong..passive submission to evil will make you win in the end!

They have to free themselves of religion. You cannot do it for them.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:30931
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.