Agnostic.com

28 3

Does beleif in god justify how much should people be allowed to spend on end of life care?

The stats are all over the place, as to how many people are cured of cancer, meaning they live more than 5 years without detectable disease. But for many cancers, the outlook is likely death. A recent study says half of cancer patients spend their life savings within two years of diagnosis. We don't know the numbers of people with likely fatal diagnoses and very hard to treat cancers, or the quality of life they have during those last two years, but is it fair to their families when inherited wealth is shown to be the only reliable way for people to maintain or increase their social status? Why do people do this to their families? I think religion has something to do to this. Also it's not a coincidence that most cancer treatment centers are run by religious groups.

Here are some stats about cancer and also a link to an article about the recent study (including a link to the original study)

[en.m.wikipedia.org]

[dailymail.co.uk]

MarkiusMahamius 7 Mar 16

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

28 comments (26 - 28)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I don’t see how religion plays into this at all in the way you are thinking. I think people fairly universally do not want to die. That’s about it. What they do with their money is a moral decision that they alone get to decide. I would actually say that a belief in an afterlife would cause less people to spend all their money on prolonging their lives.

Stats don't bear that out, when it comes to health care spending on keeping people alive. Its almost always a decision made in the name of religion, when it comes to delaying the inevitable for as long as possible. Of course, most people self identify as religious, so you might be right that they are just using those words.

@MarkiusMahamius I didn’t see anything in the two links about religion. I’m honestly not sure how religion comes into it when making these decisions. Maybe it’s because I’m not religious, but I think it’s more about people not wanting to die.

@indirect76 here's one link, the discussions towards the end have the most relevant information [ncbi.nlm.nih.gov]

@MarkiusMahamius Thanks. The article linked goes into great detail on the reasoning behind how a religious person would want to choose to use life extending care. They are all things I had not considered.

I certainly have no death wish but that being said, I do not want to live forever. I would like to die a healthy person, continuing to be out and about doing the activities that provide me with happiness and a life worth living as opposed to dying with some catastrophic health issue in a healthcare facility or a hospital. Your mileage may vary.

Point 1) I have seen no reason to believe that anyone REALLY. believes in god or heaven. We all know that this life is all there is. Our “beliefs” collapse at the end of our one and only life.

Point 2) when grasping at straws one does not count the cost. End of life care can be as expensive as the providers want it to be. It is the ultimate seller’s market.

Point 3) there is one organization that is mean enough, cruel enough, and unprincipled enough to rob dying people. Guess what it is.

Guessing... The church? The medical industry? The IRS? My skeezy neighbor and his friends?

Belief in any gods doesn't "justify" anything.

It's often the only reason people pay for prolonged end of life care, even if it makes no sense to me or you. And there's a huge medical industry that revolves around those beliefs. I dunno if there's a good answer though. That customer base will always exist.

@MarkiusMahamius If people are going to be stupid enough to pay for that kind of thing, let them waste their money.

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:311833
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.