Agnostic.com

18 4

What is the best way to explore human nature: psychology, philosophy, or biology?

Elvi 5 Mar 2

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

18 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Yes. They bleed into one another so much that it becomes impossible to understand one without serious knowledge in the others.

Hey, you left Astrology off the list 🙂

The other two great ways to get an in depth look at human nature :

1. Live with them for a couple of years.
  2. Take a teaching or Public Sales Job.

In the words of the great Prophet Emo Phillips 'I used to think that the brain was the most wonderful organ in my body. Then I realized who was telling me this.'

Well, if I have to choose, I'd say psychology. But really al 3 together would be better.

First I would suguest that you study everything that comes into your life. Evaluate things, see how they work or not work. Read books lots of them, or use the Internet if you prefer, on all the subjects that you are interested in. And take classes or attend lectures...I loved lectures, best of all! And, you could always go back to school and study the subjects that interest you.

Psychology. Says the BS in psychology.
Actually, I was working with a group writing a book called “Biology is not destiny” particularly as related to gender.

Observation.

Ultimately biology

From a carpenter's point of view psychology

In the buff

Preference towards psychology

Both biology and psychology help to describe and explain human nature. Philosophy provies us with a vehicle for thinking about things.

Direct observation and engagement

Philosophy! No one can prove you wrong outside of a logical fallacy 😉

I sit and watch it..either over coffee or cocktails..

Why do you say pick one? many I know use them all and also talk about history and sociology.

Pyschology yes, Biology yes, philosphy not so much. Add in Physics, Chemistry and sociology for good measure to. They are what is springing to mind at the moment, but I am sure there are others

why not philosophy? you don't see any worth in Bertrand Russell or Abraham Maslow or Jean Jacques Rousseau? please. those are most necessary.

@kauva The problem with philosophy is that you can talk for hours and hours and not get anywhere. I think philosphy can be used as a teaching tool to help plant an idea in peoples minds, but I would say that science, whilst it doesn't tell us everything, is the only thing that can tell us anything at all

All of the above. There is not one single "best" way.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:31434
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.