Agnostic.com

9 11

QUESTION Another Death with Dignity State

Good news. Hawaii has just been added to the states that authorize the Death with Dignity program. Now there are 6. Shame on the other states for holding back. Obviously, they care little for people who are suffering. Anything to make a buck

JackPedigo 9 Mar 2

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

9 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

What exactly is the Death With Dignity program? Or is it just some generic concept label?

The ones I'm familiar with (mostly Oregon) are what I tend to call "death with some dignity for a few" programs. Unless that one has changed you need to get two doctors to agree you have six or less months to live, and then you have to jump through a bunch of other hoops such that your six months may well be up by the time you get some actual help getting off the mortal coil.

Here it is similar; 2 doctors have to sign off and the first has to sign twice. We were lucky in that the second doctor was not only on island but very active with what is known as the endoflifewa program. Yes, 6 months to live but the doctor on island is trying to get that down to the minimum which is 17 days. It took us about 25 days but the day the meds. arrived she went into a coma and died within 10 hours.

Unfortunately, some are concerned about fraud, which is a real possibility and, of course, the bloody Christians are always interfering.

It is not just some generic concept but a real program. More states are signing on albeit slowly. tRump as trying to stop it in DC but I understand it is still there. Some of us ant to go further. I posted, on this site, a letter I sent to our local papers so you can get an idea.

Yes, I agree Jack, the health care mafia with the support of the church mafia makes the laws. They make soo much money for end of life dilemas that could easily be avoided with the same outcome.

jeffy Level 7 Mar 3, 2018

I told my kids a few years ago, no extreme measures and no chemical interventions. There is a really good book by Atul Gawande called Being Mortal that looks at end of life and aging issues.

I recently finished the book which got me restarted on this topic. However, I noticed the writer's seemingly hypocrisy in trying to preserve his father's life despite the pain and suffering. He was justifying what he previously decried (his comment about 2/3 of loved ones talking the person out of ending their life).

In my case, I (and many other members of the community) asked myself, "what would Parvin do" if she had been told she had Parkinson's or Alzheimer or other,slow, debilitating ailment. It would only be a hypothetical question because I know exactly what she would do; she would refuse to take any medications (she wouldn't even take Tylenol for the pressure build up as her brain tumor was growing). Once one starts down the road on medications one is on a slow, declining end for which one has lost control. The final exit group [finalexitnetwork.org] states "good life, good death".

@JackPedigo I will check out that website. My desire is a good death.

At least that news...takes the pressure off for any person, who might feel like he is stuck in hell, because of a particular medical condition. They have more choices now.

I'll bet they are the same as the first marijuana states

I'm moving to Hawaii.

Hawaii is the sixth state, Wash., Oregon, Calif, Vermont (Montana has a form). Canada also has the program.

If I were a conservative capitalist that is what I would do. Make as much as you can, anyway you can.

I doubt we can agree on sensible euthanasia when we can't agree on abortion? Yup humans.

I was pleased to see that there are states that have joined Oregon.

I never want to see this used as a way to get rid of "unneccesary" people - but for those who are in intractable pain or no longer able to enjoy any part of life - I see it as mercy.

I've lost people who were begging God to be let go. It's not pretty. People who didn't really believe in any god?

I see it as the ultimate decision a person needs to have over their own life. Many make that decision often with shocking results.

I sure wish Pennsylvania would get with the program. I refuse to ever go to a nursing home, after working in one for 37 years. If I get sick, or start losing my marbles, I will have to find a way to end my own life, and I'd rather be assisted by a Dr, with pills,, then some other self performed messy act.

Having seen my first Nursing Home in action in 1970 at the age of seven - I agree with you.

Some are improving. The type with a small apartment is way better than the two people to a room model. But still not where I want to be.

@RavenCT , always too short staffed...always. we started out with 9 cna's for 60 residents back in the 70s,,,now, it's 4 cna's mostly, on daylight shift. Inhumane.

@crazycat329 I worked in Mental Health - same cut backs. I long for the day when we value all lives.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:31456
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.