Agnostic.com

68 10

My 12-yo daughter revealed to me yesterday that she’s gay. Should I...

• 3 votes
  • 1 vote
  • 145 votes
  • 6 votes
Jesusluvsu 6 Mar 2

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

68 comments (51 - 68)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Let her be who she is for this is what is important.
Her sexual desires are her own business.
I think our society puts way too much weight on ones bedroom preferences.

A few thoughts, my daughter now 33 is openly gay, at 16 she told me she thought she was bi, earlier she told me she was attracted to girls. Sexuality is fluid, I know many ladies who had attraction to and/or experiences with other girls when young, some are hetero now, some were for decades but a couple now have female partners. She is your dsughter, always will be, her sexuality is irrelevant to the parent/child relationship.

So many sassy options.

I love how, like, no one realizes you're joking

??? This is agnostic.com, not some alt-right group. Of course I'd accept her. In fact both of us are LGBTQ in that we are both identify as both male and female at the same time, live as androgynous females.

You know what to do. If you want to have a healthy, emotionally balanced, non-suicidal, productive pre-teen child, you'll make the right choice.

I just have to ask why would you ask such a question.

4 humorz

There is no details to know about here... Like always this is on my experience... I recalled plenty of ladies telling me they practiced kissing and learning how to kiss from another girl... around that age. And many of them thought at that moment they were gay based on that assestment of kissing each other. Well... like most men will testify here (I hope). Guys do not practice with guys how to kiss at that age. At age 12, it is possible she is confused. As her father you are in a position of helping her or destroying her. Her life will be easier as heterosexual, more exciting as bisexual and more dificult as a lesbian and I reckon asexual is not in the picture. Get her professional help because she is in no age to decide and determine the rest of her life on those first 12 years. Regardless, the love of a parent shouldn't be in question for a sexual preference... I am father to a bisexual lady. First time she told me within 90 seconds I have to brace myself to the kitchen counter because my knees buckled and the only reason that happened was me realizing she had made her life more difficult and she was on her 20's. But didn't made a different to me. She always going to be my adorable knuclehead daughter of mine named after a Picasso painting. On my family blood she is the only one that I know off... But she was not confused when she made that decision... a 12 year old? you kidding me? By age 12 I was smoking marijuana. In almost 40 years, I had one joint and it was with her. In other words... your decision at 12 are not Permanent... nothing to cheer about. You got work to do Parent.

you should try some new weed. it's pretty strong stuff though. Much better than when you were 12. You'' need some starter weed. Maybe a joint with training wheels. I liked the rest of your story.

@kauva Thank You... I got 2 of my children trying to convince me to get a "weed card", never on m wildest high did we dreamed of our children telling us to get a "weed card".

Be there for her like a real father should be, and love her no matter what.

Congratulations mom! I was excited when my youngest daughter said the same. Better odds she will finish HS despite her feeling different, no pregnancy, and generally a better group of peeps coming around.

"No matter who she likes" Huh? You have no option for accepting her, as you would if she told you she likes boys, as she is and who she is.

Weird question. You simply say, “You are? So glad you want to share that with me! Great! Do you like someone special? If you ever want to chat about it you know I am always here to listen.” And then you accept it. They may change their mind, they may not. It’s not really a problem.

Livia Level 6 May 30, 2018

My oldest daughter is bi, and when she first told me I was taken back, but I said I loved her and that would never change.

My first thought was for your daughter and what she might face in school and the community. Having lived in Texas myself, I was relieved to see that you are from Austin… a cultural and philosophical oasis. But even though I live in the San Francisco Bay Area, I remain acutely aware that no school or community is without prejudice. Based on the choices you’ve provided for a response, you don’t appear to need advice on keeping your daughter close, and reassuring her that you are there for her and love her all the way to the end. But as a father of a daughter myself, who is now 30 (we remain very good friends and are very close), I can tell you that, no matter what her orientation, the most interesting, if not challenging, times are yet to come! Good luck!

I do have serious reservations about a child declaring their sexually prefer one sex over another.

A friend of mine relayed a story (and I can dig this up if you need me to, but I don't recall the details right now) about a gay man, in a gay marriage. Their son stated that when he grew up, he wanted to be gay just like him.

The father remembered liking to do activities that when I was young were labeled "female" when he was six. Such as hanging out with girls, baking/cooking, playing dress up, playing with dolls, etc.

His son? He liked to play with trucks, hang out with boys, thought girls had cooties, etc... in other words, he was acting like a heterosexual young boy of six years old.

He turned to his son and said that's not how it works, You are what you are, you don't grow up to be hetero-, homo-, or bi-sexual, you just ARE and eventually you will realize which you are, and, odds on, it will be obvious.

Now, do ALL boys who play with trucks, play with other young boys and think girls have cooties at six always reliably turn out to be hetero? Odds on no, but this dad had some insight into this and, I tend to agree with him. You don't choose one way or the other. As you grow you will begin to know because your feelings will develop one way or another.

Having said ALL that... I do think we are going to have a period in which some folks who aren't sure are going to say they are one thing, and realize they are another because it's popular to be this way or that. We are going to have to be patient, and carefully ride out this wave of... I don't know what to call it sexual popularity? Whatever we call it, it's going to be alluring to be one way or another and to declare it for a while. Some will do it to support friends, some because they are confused and some because they really mean it and know it. Some will change their mind as they grow. Some won't.

We just have to let them discover who they are, and love the fact that they can do what we couldn't when we were young: discover in a (reasonably) safe environment who they really are, and let them know that whoever they are, we are there to love them and are proud of them, wherever they finally do land. 🙂

@Gnarloc

I agree on letting them discover who they are. I would just be concerned that a statement made by a naive child could have life long, false repercussions if a parent was to proactively follow-up on it.

@Reignmond I agree 100%! WE, the adults, have to be careful of our biases in supporting, or not, our childrens decisions. To be honest, I don't think this is much different than your son deciding to grow very long hair, or your daughter to cut hers short, when in their teens. So long as we don't overreact, and are supportive, odds on no one will be hurt.

Now, that said, what about a child who decides they are (or is it more proper to say they need to be?) transgender?

I have a friend whose young son is transitioning and I raised my cautious hand and said: this person isn't done growing yet. Isn't this too soon? Shouldn't we let them finish the rise, as well as the bake, before we declare what kind of bread they are?

Well, it turns out that her child has gone through tons of counseling, and lots of care, and... well, the committees decision is that this person knows what they want to be and, are becoming what they always knew they were.

This is far more impactful than just deciding you want to date boys/girls or vice versa... this is surgery, and hormone treatment, and likely being bullied in school. This will have a lifelong impact!

My friend gave me enough assurance that all that could be done to make sure that this was the right path, was done. This decision, these actions were NOT taken lightly.

NOW, for a precautionary tale (and again, I can dig up the exact details that I do not have at my fingertips if you want): as I studied to get my teaching license, I was exposed to a study that says we are what we are from birth and we KNOW it. There ain't no way to change that. What did the study entail? A horror story as follows:

Couple get pregnant.

Couple have baby boy.

Circumcising Dr. slips...

Dr. has conversation with couple. The slip is severe. Severe enough that, nope, we can't make your boy a boy. Our only real option, is to make your boy a girl.

So, the scenario is that this is the '50s. Their infant has been... not to put too fine a point on it... mutilated. The course of recovery? Make the infant a girl. Surgery, and hormone treatment, etc, to follow. The child will never know that it was born a boy, and made to be a boy so, the child should be fine.

So, they name the child a girls name. Buy pink clothing. Buy dolls. Redecorate her room. Grow her hair long. In every 1950s way, treat her as a her. She has NO way of knowing that she was born a boy.

Guess what?

She likes to play with trucks. No Sally, here is a wonderful new doll play with it.

She likes to play with boys. No Sally, play with your little girl friends.

She thinks that girls have cooties.... when young.

She likes to rough house, wear pants... you may see where this is going.

As she grows up... she likes girls, for dating partners, NOT boys.

She eventually learns of her fate. She decides to do what she can to return to being a boy. If I recall correctly 'her' life was a living hell for 'her' and she committed suicide somewhere in the 30s.

That person KNEW what gender they were from the get go, regardless of what their body presented as. Now, we could play the game of discussing how this person had some clues. No one else had to see the Dr. so often for such a strange condition nor needed so many drugs. Especially considering that they probably never really felt sick... well, I think we could conjecture that they might well have felt sick but might well have felt that the drugs were the issue, rather than helping.

The study of this person was pretty clear that you can do all you want to try and program a person to be what you want them to be, but what they are is what they are.

Because of this and other studies I've read, and experiences I've had, well, vicariously, through training, I am convinced: nature knows and tells us. We either listen, or we are miserable.

BUT, again, it could be a phase, or a fad... just honor and love her and let her make, and potentially change, decisions. Consult professional help only if necessary.

@Gnarloc
Adults going through a gender crisis have a very hard time figuring it out. It would seem a child, who is not knowledgeable of even the definition of the terms, would have a harder time of it. Plus, children are notorious for saying spontaneous and spurious things. The Parent needs to try to figure out what brought this condition on. It is a very big decision that can wait.

Nothing I have said is in opposition to what you are saying here.

Maybe just suggest she's 12 years old and shouldn't be really giving a lot of thought to sex quite yet.
If "sex" and "12 year old" collided in the same sentence in pretty much any other context, people would be flipping their shit.

Those 5 votes are weird

If you don't like it, you can try to pray the gay away like some Christians do.
Make sure you watch my video about gays in the Bible:

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:31469
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.