Agnostic.com

35 8

Unexplained Religious Experiences

I'm not sure if this has already been talked about but I haven't come across anything similar so I'm just gonna go ahead and ask.

I am an atheist now, but I still struggle with experiences that I had while I was still a christian. I was a Pentecostal christian to be exact, for those of you who are unfamiliar there is a lot of screaming, crying, dancing, and speaking in tongues.

When I was at my peak of being religious, I went to a church camp, the main goal of this camp was to "feel the holy ghost", and I had prayed to have the gift of tongue by the time I left. This was a huge goal for me at the time. The last night of church, I went to the alters during worship, I don't remember anything that happened after a certain point. I just remember crying, and I was told by everyone who I knew that I was speaking in tongues.

I still have to memory of actually speaking in tongues, just a blank space in my memory of that night. I have no idea how to explain having an experience like that and not believing in it. Its something ive struggled with every since becoming an atheist, and I was wondering if anyone else has had experiences similar to this, and if you do, how do you reconcile those experiences and your beliefs, or rather lack thereof?

Elsy 4 Mar 3

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

35 comments (26 - 35)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

One individual’s ecstatic speech was tape recorded and played back separately to many individuals who believed that they had the gift of interpreting tongues. Their interpretations were quite inconsistent.
How could speaking in tongues be a real literal glossa, or language, if the interpretations of that very same language are contradictory?
Jeff Wehr, “Speaking in Tongues,” Our Firm Foundation, Vol. 11, #11, 1996-NOV-11,
?

Human beings have powerful imaginations that are quite capable of 'creating' strange effects within the privacy of the mind if you happen to be desperate enough to have those experiences.

We can dream vividly and believably - so where is the difficulty in believing we cannot have such vivid 'dreams' with our eyes open too?

I'm sorry, but no. I grew up with a family whom called themselves Xians, but we didn't talk of god much. Thank you for sharing this.

I have a dx of D,I,D dissociative identity disorder, It is usually abusive parent/s or other adults that cause this - I never remember what it is my alters get up to but sometimes I am really whacked out- It sounds like the same kind of arena to me.

I don't understand speaking in tongues never have if someone could explain how it works is it just like being stoned and nobody understands you?

They were speaking with forked tongues.

I was once there when I desired to speak in tongues but I never did. Most of my friends who attended same Pentecostal church did speak in tongues. As time went on I began to hate the practice of speaking in tongues because it seemed to me that they were repeating syllabus and used it as a form of "spiritual showoff". One of my friend even confessed to me that he's just saying some crammed syllabus and that he was going to stop it.

Concerning mysterious things happening; I think I have witnessed some mysterious things. One that happened when I was really small was the case of miraculous healing. My brother was scheduled for a medical operation, but during prayers, a pastor told him that God has healed him and that the operation wouldn't be necessary. My mum took him to the hospital and indeed the thing has disappeared. Up till today, it never returned. I have also seen numerous other cases where people were proclaimed healed in the church and they eventually died of the illness. So I simply don't know but I think faith healing is not trustworthy because number of failed instances far exceed the successful ones. The successes could have simply been by luck or maybe it's not luck, I don't know, I'm agnostic about it

obis Level 6 Mar 3, 2018

My ex-wife's grandma useta sit at home and practice speaking in tongues.

When I was much younger I fell in with some evangelicals. I think my youth, naivety, drug use, and their charisma got to me, and I had some experiences that seemed magical. In retrospect, I've had profound and cathartic experiences at other times in my life.

Don't let your mind play tricks on you. As humans we are susceptible to putting meaning where there is no meaning. Just like a dream, those experiences are natural and don't necessarily answer any questions.

Not saying you didn't speak in tongues, first off. But I know that psychologically, we can condition ourselves to do a lot of amazing things. Sounds like self-hypnosis to me. Which is awesome. You should see if you can still do it. But again, I am an agnostic, and even though it is low on my probabiity scale 'the speaking in tongues', it is not my place to say that that didn't happen.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:31714
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.