Agnostic.com

7 2

What are your thoughts on Buddhism ??

Hello . I have been studying Buddhism lately and find it to be a very effective philosophy for living a moraled happy life . A lot of the advice given from Buddhism is what many people pay to hear form physiologist and therapist . Of course not . I don’t agree with 100 percent of it but I found it to be very effective in my everyday life . There are no gods on Buddhism or spirits . Although some Buddhist believe in them . I don’t belive in karma or recantation. And love how tolerant it is of other religions and philosophy and science . What’s re your thoughts on it ? And feel free to criticize it as I did happen to ask your views on it lols . Thank u guys .

DavidDeLa89 6 Mar 24

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

7 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

i think it makes some sense although i don't consider it a religion.
e.g. accumulating material goods doesn't lead to happiness. every time people fill one want another pops up.
i drive an old van & my wife drives a 5 yr old car (both with low mileage) i wouldn't feel the least bit happier if i bot a new van with all the bells & whistles ( which i could easily do without payments). to me it would just be a matter of waiting for the 1st ding which would ruin the newness.

Ya I don’t think of it at a religion either much . People kinda made it into a religion which I don’t think was Buddha’s intentions . Buddha himself never mentioned chants and bells and recantation and all that other stuff . But the messages dilivered has helped me drastically

Every religion offers some good moral teachings, but they come with the caviot that they are the one true way, and that unless you are good, you will be punished.(Karma, Hell) if you want philosophy Marcus Aurelius, Plato, Socrates are much easier to understand since they don't get lost in the divine.

Reincarnation ? I don't need to know anythjng more about a religion ( it is a religion ) or philosophy or dogma or whatever u wanna call it . I am done at reincarnation and karma point ?

But recantation and karma was never mentioned by Buddha . People kinda mixed that in there and in my opinion that has no business being mentioned in Buddhism

Look to the whole of it.
The concept of Karma will teach that the poor hungry farmer deserve it and should not rebel against his master so he does not became worse in the next life...
It teaches to accept and endure difficulties instead of trying to change, it teaches to never revolt, even if injustice is visible.
As all religions is a way of keeping status quo. And the huge feudal like structure that had the noble born monks on top of it (followed by noble and then the peasant monks and peasants) prove it.
But it got crippled and the bad parts removed for the western consumption and to get support for free Tibet (that was only free for a brief time spam because European powers temporary crippled Chinese empire for some time).

Even the claimed benefits of meditation can be reproduced with many other focused activities, even PC games XD.

I also studied Buddhism years ago and found that Buddhists do embrace the concepts of karma (the law of cause and effect) and reincarnation (the continuous cycle of rebirth) and as for their tolerance, have you checked out their conduct in Myanmar, India and Sri Lanka? They historically haven't been nearly as violent as Islam or Christianity but they certainly aren't beyond reproach. Lastly by most standards it is considered a religion and not "just a philosophy." Personally I see it as just another example of woo.

gearl Level 8 Mar 25, 2019

I agree many Buddhist do believe in the law of karma however Buddhism does t require u agree 100 percent with them to be considered Buddhist. Actually Buddha himself never said a dam thing about karma . So how’d it become mixed in ? Just people added that in there along the way . And as for no tolorence of other beliefs . Buddhism never teaches violence over beliefs again that’s just ignorent people

@DavidDeLa89 I could argue that the Bible never says anything about the trinity but the majority of Christians accept that as a cornerstone of Christianity so religions evolve. Having said that though, I don't know if you know who Richard Francis Gombrich is, but he is an Indologist and scholar of Sanskrit, Pāli, and Buddhist Studies. He said: The Buddha defined karma as intention; whether the intention manifested itself in physical, vocal or mental form, it was the intention alone which had a moral character: good, bad or neutral. As he is a scholar I'll take him as an expert and ask you to study up a bit more before saying the Buddha never said a damn thing about karma.

I was really interested in the philosophy of Buddhism. Read some of the teachings.
Then I went to Asia.
Now I consider it to be just another corrupted weird religion with rituals, constant requests for money, and worship.

Not to shure where u went to go visit but worship ??? Buddhism never worships anything . They wanted your money ?? Again wonder where the heck u went . Rituals ? Ya some schools do them and I have not a reason why becus Buddha never said anything about ritual

@DavidDeLa89 Exactly! I go China, Thailand, and Japan for work, I can tell that ritual abounds, is given before supplication.
In Thailand they ritually bath their Buddha statue and dress him in Seasonal clothing. Put out food and candy and objects at their little corner temples. Oh yeah.
I don't understand it, but I saw enough,
I still have my Buddha statue in my garden...well...because I live in the bible belt. But alas,,he gets no bath and remains unadorned!

@FlyingGodess lmao . That’s just there way of showing respect to the Buddha . As far as offerings go some Buddhist belive in spirits and so on so they may leave offerings to show peace to the spirits . Buddha left that up for u to decide whether u believe in it or not . It isn’t required . But again ya all the Buddhist kinda add spiritual stuff with it . I guess I just follow much of the philosophy but don’t get into that ritual type of stuff .

I totally agree. After spending 2 months in Thailand and visiting many many temples and watching the Buddhist worship, pray, bow down to living and dead monks, asking for money at all the temples it becomes obvious that it’s just another mind game.

It's got some great philosophical ideas, and is the closest I'm willing to get to religion.

Ya the same here .

😀

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:317540
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.