Agnostic.com

30 2

Would you eat lab-grown meat?

One manufacturer said meat grown in lab would be served in restaurants by the end of this year.
[independent.co.uk]
Vegetarians, your thoughts?

Aralt 7 Mar 3

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

30 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Yep. No issues. Protein without the need butcher animals or environmental damage to raise them. It's an everyone wins situation.

I'd try anything twice.

@WizardBill actually I was clinically dead when I was born so one down

@WizardBill me too lol

I'm a fan of the Impossible Burger... Which simulates meat, but yes I think I might give lab grown meat a try. It's been about 10 years since I last had actual meat. The fact that it's lab grown wouldn't be enough, it would need to taste good and be reasonably healthy.

I saw another vid about this and it is not logical but it grosses me out

If it tasted good

I'm content with my plant based foods and lack the desire to consume any meat.
...sometimes, I think I should become a lesbian.

If it was quality protein, digestible, more environmentally friendly than current beef production, was found to have no negative consequences on human health, wasn't too expensive and tasted half-way decent then hell yes!

Sure.

If it were proven safe, why not?

Yes, gladly, I look forward to it immensely.

I would definitely try it.
I’m sure eventually science could make meat good enough so we couldn’t even tell the difference.

I am not a vegetarian but would absolutely welcome lab grown meat. Unfortunately, there is still a problem which has not been resolved. Growing animal cells with any sort of efficiency requires foetal calf serum. This requirement is actually a significant problem for experimental scientists as it affects reproducibility, so people have been trying to find a decent substitute for quite some time. As far as I know, any large scale production of lab grown meat done in near future, will still require foetal calf serum.

AnnaT Level 4 Apr 14, 2018

Vegan here, And no I vehemently refuse. It's not just the morality. It's health as well. In any case, as a Vegan by Morality, you tend to become disgusted by the idea of meat, so that's not going to fly in any way, shape, or form

As a previous meat eater, I can say that I would call this progress for the fact alone that it requires far less resources per kilo of meat and nothing had to die in order for it to be made, so ethically I’d find it hard to argue against, but from a health perspective it’s still not good for you. I guess I’d say I wouldn’t eat it but also wouldn’t chastise those who chose to do so.

I do not eat dog! But seriously, I eat tofu, why not alt-meat? I used to participate in the November pig slaughtering. If we could just stop doing that and stop grazing cows for meat, that would be just fine with me.

My thoughts are since I've given up meat, I don't miss it much. I'd only opt for lab-grown meat if it were healthy to consume and a worthwhile addition to my usual diet, but never because I miss the taste of dead animals. It would, at least, be better for the environment and that's a huge plus in its favor.

I,d eat anything if I was hungry enough .

I'd try it out of curiosity, just to see if it tastes like meat. However, since I don't like the taste of meat, it'd only be the once!

Jnei Level 8 Mar 4, 2018

This would be like buying software that is in the beta stage. I like to wait until scores of other people rip their hair out with the non-functional stuff. With food, I don't have that luxury. I can't wait 20 more years for studies to be done. I'll stick to the good old natural stuff.

No. It still requires the abuse of animals as far as I'm aware.

As far as I'm aware the cells needed for the process need to be taken from live animals (repeatedly) and the growth medium contains animal products.

@JamesV a small scraping from the nose of a cow is all that is required to gain the necessary cells. There are many growth mediums that can be used. Look up Memphis meats.

It could be happening right now.

This is kind of cool, but I also don't 100% trust that something won't go horribly wrong in a very sci-fi horror movie kind of way. So to answer the question, no I don't think I'd eat that. It would be neat to see if it really does reduce global warming though.

If you think this is weird, please check out what is done to the animals to put them on your plate.

@twill How presumptuous of you to assume I don't know. As a matter of fact, I no longer put animals on my plate. Have a nice day.

@WickedNicki I did say "Please"

Of course. If it's good enough for rats it's got be good enough for me.

Is it healthy? Does it taste good? Is it environmentally-friendly? Is it reasonably priced?
Let me know when you get one of those!

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:31863
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.