Agnostic.com

35 7

What's your favorite horror film?

I have too many to name, but this GIF comes from the Silent Hill movie which was great, and probably one of the better video-to-movie adaptions. So, what is yours? Oh, I am a big fan of the Nightmare on Elm Street series. Freddy is maniacal and probably the closest to my spirit animal out of all those slasher horror films.

sadoslim 5 Mar 3

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

35 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

The Exorcist will always be a favorite, as well as Earthlings. While not a horror film per se, it filled me with horror.

"The Legend of Hell House"... "The Mephisto Waltz" (that hand also Alan Alda!)..... the older ones.... that use fright rather than gore....

I do have a space in my heart for "The Evil Dead" series though. (Bruce Campbell).

And just about anything that had Vincent Price in it! (Creature Double Feature on Sat. afternoons!).

Shop smart, shop S Mart.

The Evil Dead films are hilarious. I haven't bothered with the remake - looks too scary for me!

@EricTrommater

@Jnei yeah it ain't funny at all..kinda like Z Nation..

@Charlene I think I saw that, because I do like many zombie films - can't remember it, so it obviously didn't make much of an impression!

Georges Franju's Les yeux sans visage (Eyes Without a Face) stands alone as the single most horrifying experience I've had in cinema. Without jump scares or excess gore the film is able to play on your deepest fears and dusturb you long after the ending credits.

Thanks man, I'll check it out.

Seconded. It's terrifying.

I loathe horror films. My imagination is good enough that I don't need to add fuel to my anxieties. Nope, never, ever,ever.

I'm not really into horror films due to being highly sensitive to blood and gore - my ex liked to watch things like Saw and Wolf Creek, and I'd have to go and sit in another room and think about happy unicorns in fairyland.

Having said that, there are a few that are genuinely excellent films: Nosferatu (the 1922 one), Eyes Without A Face, Alien, The Babadook... and a handful of others.

Jnei Level 8 Mar 3, 2018

The Werner Herzog version of Nosferatu with Klaus Kinsky was also excellent.

@EricTrommater It was, but in my opinion the original was far better. 🙂

For myself, the film I considered the most horrific was HELTER SKELTER. It was 100% true events and way too close to home; by that, I mean it happened only about 40 miles from where I lived at the time, and in some of the areas I occasionally ventured into as a teenager. I was somewhat relieved when Charles Manson died recently.

Also "Alien Covenant" is on HBO tonight....

And how could I forget "The Fog" and "The Mist".... and most stuff by Stephen King.

Then there's Salem's Lot..and Aliens..

I really liked it but reading the book was even scarier

@Summer yeah it was..kept me up all night!

I'm not really one to watch them, but I thought Beetlejuice was good.

THE THING

John Carpenter's The Thing was one of my favorite movies. However, I do not consider it a "Horror" film...more of a Sci-Fi. I do not care for Horror films at all.

John Carpenter in general.

I'm not sure who said it, whether John Carpenter or Kurt Russell. But they gave a clue in one of the ending scenes of the film in which the last 2 of the survivors were suspicious of each other. In the cold night of winter, you can see the fog of their breaths from only one person.

I love that movie. I also love the original with James Arness as the alien.

The 1956 orginal was waaaay better..

The New Zealand horror movie 'The Frighteners' 1996

Apparently Michael J Fox and Peter Jackson didn't get along while making that film. There's an interview somewhere in which Fox said something like "Jackson was that nerdy guy in high school who'd make models and stuff. And I'd be the guy making jokes." It was a slight insult. But he couldn't have been more correct also.

28 Days Later, Night of the Living Dead, anything by Rob Zombie. Um...I guess anything zombie related, since that seems to be the theme here.

28 Days Later is an incredible film. Also, what an amazing soundtrack!

With all the thumbs up for "The Thing" I had to come back and drop this. [io9.gizmodo.com]

This is so geek! lol I love it.

"Evil Dead" perhaps. I thought the new version of "It" was pretty great. One of the best of the new horror films. Oh! John Carpenter's "Prince of Darkness" I loved. Great, trippy, multiple planes of existence thing going on with the Catholic church as a back drop.

"Hard Candy" and "Mother!"

Hard Candy is one of my all time favs!

@stinkeye_a Awesome.

I LOVE horror, so it's hard to say I have a favorite. Generally, I like comedic horror the most... top of the list are Dawn of the Dead (2004), Cabin Fever, Ravenous, Dead Alive, Drag Me To Hell, and the Evil Dead series.

@Wearschaoswell No, but I know I need ... many of the podcasts I listen have referenced it. It sounds hilarious

Any Elvis movie. That is some scary shit.

The Excorsist..yesyes I know it's terminally Catlic..it still scares the fuck out me!

You'd probably like "Constantine" - I always enjoy it.

You'd probably like "Constantine" - I always enjoy it.

@RavenCT I did like that as well..

American Werewolf in London.

Zombieland, Shaun of the Dead, Cockneys vs Zombies, What we do in the Shadows

Mustn't leave out Let The Right One In either - one of my favourite films of all time.

Jnei Level 8 Mar 4, 2018

@Wearschaoswell The proper Swedish version - the US remake is called Let Me In and I have no desire to see it at all because when the original is so completely perfect, with actors so perfect for the parts, the remake can only possibly be a disappointment.

Texas Chainsaw MASSACRE, I&II......II is hilarious!

Gosh do I remember that one. I mistakenly went to the drive-in with my two young kids. Thought they were both asleep but found out they had seen a few scenes. I was horrified and realized I should have left. A very scary movie.

@Summer the original is scary...when they find the teeth, uck!
But the second one is hilarious...Dennis Hopper so spaced out, the other actors say a line, he is obviously supposed to respond, but can't, so they continue As If he had. Then they sling him with about 15 chainsaws, from huge to "baby toy" size and he's supposed to be cutting his way in for the big rescue....but the Styrofoam beams he is cutting keep sticking to the chainsaws & flapping around...among other stuff...maybe 2 of the lowest-budget movies ever made!

Never got to see the second, now glad I didn't. My kids still to this day talk about how I took them to see that movie, especially when they think it's funny to embarrass me. Truth be told I was meeting my sister and her husband there and we didn't have cell phones back then, so I had to go. Neither my sister nor I knew what was playing and all the kids (even hers) were asleep by the time the movie actually came on. I had even turned the volume down so it wouldn't wake them up. But at some point, they woke up, watched a bit and fell asleep again, as I had kept checking. We would have left immediately but our husbands ( who were in the other car) wouldn't, so we were stuck watching it. A night to remember for sure.

"The Fury"

I have two favorites. Mr. Frost and Children of the Corn.

Exorcist lll or House of a 1000 Corpses.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:31999
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.