Agnostic.com

8 9

LINK Scrap religion as a charitable purpose, says National Secular Society | Third Sector

FTA: Its report For the Public Benefit? says 12,000 charities in England and Wales currently exist solely to promote religion.

The report calls for them to lose their charitable status unless they can fulfil one of the 12 other charitable purposes listed in the Charities Act 2011, such as the advancement of education and the relief of poverty.

Stephen Evans, chief executive of the society, said advancing religion was not an "unqualified good" and removing it was "overdue and in the public interest".

Evans added: "In some cases it has no public benefit and in others it is actively harmful.

"Too many faith-based charities are causing harm at the expense of the taxpayer.

"Tax breaks are allowing these organizations, under the guise of ‘charity’, to facilitate harmful activities that do not align with British values and opinion."

zblaze 7 Apr 4

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

8 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Being an eternal skeptic I find most charities unless researched for funds utilisation are nothing more than a for-profit organization.

Agree with the article

DUH. Problem is too many 'Christians' don't give to help others they give to help themselves.

In my honest opinion, biased as it may seem, there IS little or nothing in religions that can be remotely classed as being truly 100% charitable.

I’d love to see a thorough audit on all tax exempt charities along with some reasonable standards on how much they can pay for “overhead” and salaries. I guess there’s no way to prevent stupid people from giving their life savings to thieves and con-artists, but at least we should be able to see how many limos and Lear jets they’re buying with grandma’s Social Security check.

Completely agree.

In the US, religious organizations benefit from the notion that "member benefit" organizations are tax-deductible. This isn't just churches, but lodges and private clubs of all kinds.

Most of what a church does -- worship services, religious classes, socials -- are "member benefit" activities that benefit society, if at all, only indirectly. I argue that nothing a church does should be tax exempt except to the extent it extends benefits to the general society without strings attached -- such as advancing (secular) education and relieving poverty, as pointed out in the quote above.

And such activities generally can be separately incorporated. For example, a local congregation in my town operates an exemplary food kitchen for the poor and homeless, but it is under a separate nonprofit umbrella, despite being housed in a church annex. It is rather like how I can claim a portion of my house as a business expense based on the percent of square footage used for my home office. The food kitchen operation and expenses are definitely charity, and the portion of the church used for the food kitchen (and the percentage of days it is used for that purpose) can also shelter that portion of the church facility from taxation.

But not the whole blasted thing.

I will say that if you forbid Proselytizing by religious charities, they would stop doing it. The charity is nothing but a ruse to lure people in.

"Tax deductible" really speaks volumes I guess

Preachers and pastors and whatnot sign those too huh

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:324567
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.