Agnostic.com

26 5

Dressing Pets, really?

I don't care for pets being dressed up. Have you seen the look on their faces? Why is this even a thing?

pthomas59 7 Mar 4

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

26 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Snow and mud off my dog means snow and mud off my carpet and bed.

I take off her "snowsuit" and she's bone dry underneath. Without it she's prone to wicked snowballs on her fluffy legs. She likes wearing her snowsuit because she knows it means she stays warm and dry--and can enjoy being outside longer.

Those sleeves! rofl... Adorable.

They should learn to dress them selves. Lazy doggies.

Nene stylin' in just some of her more fashionable attire.

Xolo!!!!

American Hairless Terrier. ???? Totally spoiled but a ray of sunshine in my days.

OMG those purple ones!

Jay Leno hated it too, that said I do put coats on my newborn goats if the barn is especially cold but it is not a fashion statement.

@pthomas59 Many of my babies are born during sub zero weather and even though they are inside, until they get their body temps to stabilize those little coats save their lives.

I think I'd only ever put clothing on a cat if it was a Sphinx. I imagine they get cold.

My pomeranian LOVES it. Any time you pull out the doggie clothes he is already trying to get in them. My GSD not so much. Depends on the dog.

I've never done it, but when my daughter and her greyhounds lived in Rochester, NY, it was a necessity. Greyhounds have short coats, thin skin, and no fat.

JimG Level 8 Mar 5, 2018

Depends on the animal. For mine it means treats and the humans laugh. Dobermans always want to be in on the joke and love it when their people laugh. So yeah, here are a couple tortured souls right here ...

My cats would never tolerate it...LOL

My dog hates it too. But when she was little I did it for a while (as you're about to see 😉 )

She was indoors, already dressed for a Himalayan winter, and then...

I've never been a fan of dressing up animals. I'd even take off whatever cutesy bandana thingy they'd put on my girl at the groomer. I think it's really undignified.
I was given some rain gear for her, as a gift. Shortly thereafter, a hurricane rolled through, so I figured I'd give it a shot, since we had to be outside. She wasn't having it. She wouldn't do anything, and kept giving me the stink-eye until I took it off. Once it was off, she went about her business.
I've never had a dog that acted like they liked that sort of thing.

I do think there is a big difference between dressing up to be cutesy and putting needed blankets on to preserve body heat in an older animals or a newborn.

I only get pets I can eat and I sometimes like them dressed up.

Only for practical reasons.

Ok and the occassional photo - but I mean maybe a hat? lol

My dog had an all weather coat and snow boots - but she was part Corgi and hated getting her feet wet - and hey we get some cold temps..

Also sometimes I've heard Veternarians recommend Toddler sized clothes instead of a cone of shame (and T-shirts for dogs). I'm ok with that too.

But in general no. If it's making your pet miserable - don't do it. If you have one of those rare pets that wants you to interact no matter what you do - then "why not?".

Just adopted two chihuahuas this winter ( yeah, I know, what was I thinking) They require coats when going out in the snow. Their fur is just too thin.

Depends on why you are dressing up the pet. If you are a bit obsessed with it, then it would depend on how well the pet takes to it.
If from pragmatism, such as walking in cold weather, then it may be necessary.
As long as the pet isn't constantly trying to remove the costume, due to obvious discomfort, it can't really hurt. I mean you dress babies in silly costumes before they can comprehend the meaning.

When I was 3 or 4 I had a cat I used to dress in doll's clothes and push around in a pram. Well surprisingly enough the cat used to enjoy it, would jump into any pram it saw, even got its head stuck in the window of my doll's house.
I'm baffled about what sort of adult would want to dress an animal up but some animals seem to enjoy the attention.

Kimba Level 7 Mar 5, 2018

My Mom (circa 1935) had a big black tom cat she used to dress up and put in a pram. He loved it.

Sometimes owners find joy in dresing pets up. I only do it for practical purposes and sometimes Holloween, my dog has short hair and get cold easily. He does have a pirate sweater, rain slicker and coat for the winter.

Lol my dog has a fur lined kimono I put on her when she goes out if it's very cold (I am a ridiculous human)

Saw this and thought, ha, ha, ha I agree. But little dogs do need to stay warm. Also they need their feet wiping as the salt left out in the winter for the roads can really crack them.

On an even more contraversal vein...what is our obsession with pets. If we adopted a poor person instead of a pet would the world be in a better place? How much money are these child substitutes pushing around the economy? (I'm about to move into a house share with 2 cats and looking forwards to it, so not a holier than thou thing.)

My dog came with his own coat, or maybe that was on it. I don't know. I have a weird dog.

as long as it keeps them from buying guns I am all for it

Ppl who do that either have a wiener dog or it's Halloween. If it's any other time if year they wanna throw money in the trash, that's what fir is for.

@pthomas59 I travel in a van with my dogs, on a cold night one of my dogs can't wait to get her fleece vest on, the other doesn't want to know.

My daughter has a five pound maltese that needs some clothing to go outside in these Wisconsin winters. We are going to get up to six inches of snow today so you would surely dress your dog before taking it out.

That's why my dog had a coat - her belly was being scratched by ice on top of snow - so coat. That's just being pragmatic. (Also the lower to the ground they are the worse it is).

Short coat, indoor dogs such as Chihuahuas and Lurchers need coats in the winter as they can get sick in the cold. Also horses need to be kept covered at night in cold climates. So yes.

Aenau Level 3 Mar 5, 2018

I can't see thw point in it. If it was for a purpose rhan that is one thing but not to try and make the animal look "cute"

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:32698
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.