Agnostic.com

12 7

Feeling the isolation... I am a kind, empathetic, intelligent, fun and humorous woman. But I am also informed and feel strongly regarding the awful situations and patterns that I witness in society, such as capitalism, religion, pseudoscience, etc.. I am feeling isolated by my unpopular opinions, however, as the majority that surrounds me prefers to ignore the big picture, or oppose any negative thoughts, even if these things are very necessary to think about. Since "waking up" to the reality that is our society, I unfortunately can't go back to ignoring it, and now find I am without friendships, social interaction and fulfillment. I understand, as I have been there, the ignorance and fear of acknowledging the shit in the world, and wanting to "keep the peace" and refrain from hurting anyone's feelings by sharing an opinion. ...but I am no longer there. And I can no longer refrain from speaking out against the horrors in the world or debunking the ridiculous amount of pseudoscience around me. Almost everyone in my life is on the other side of me now. I don't want to be in this position, so I simply avoid almost everyone I know, in order to spare them and myself. Unfortunately, despite all of my positive traits, and even a lack of bringing up the arguments in person, I am now regarded as a negative person. Which I am not, as it's reality that tends to be negative, not me personally. That's the problem. Ignorance is bliss right? I am "the atheist" that attacks people's feelings and the "Debbie downer". sigh Who wants to be around that? I get it. Anyway, I could use some friends. I guess it's time to acknowledge the change. Thanks for being here, guys! <3

EhMularz 5 Mar 5

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

12 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Hang in there! You just need to find your peeps! I loath pseudoscience too!

Yes true but a least there is a way of saving your sanity - I don't seriously listen to people much any more -in my head I am 'la- la- la-ing' I thnk I really have to wak e up and accept that teh worlds is how it is and not anywhere near what I would wish it to be - and this is teh time I am living in so I am glad that I am on the way out and will protect myself from all the witlessness as best I can till then.

Alienation is a biggie. Always the outsider.
Makes one wonder how many people pretend to fit in, pretend to believe in the dominant paradigm just to be accepted, or how many refuse to let their thoughts go down the track of questioning things out of fear of being rejected.

I think the first thing is to realize that if you can't communicate with people, they probably aren't the people for you to be around, and it ain't you, it ain't them, it's the both of you. And there is nothing wrong with that, but it is like an alcoholic who quits drinking or a junkie who quits slamming, their world changes, and their new reality doesn't fit the paradigm of the life they used to live. You can't go home again. And there's nothing wrong with that. Look at it as an adventure. But don't look back and down at the world you were once in, it brought you here.

"TRUE THAT!!"

No matter how hard people try to hide it, everyone realizes perils of society’s direction, indeed, the world. Perhaps it is possible your sense of isolation is due to expectations ‘positive’ change is forthcoming, that there’s a happy ending to man’s plight. Which in turn can produce a type of ‘enter-conflict,’ one side believing positive change will come, the other side unable to believe in such a thing, that matters will only become worse to never get better. Two diverse entities battling within the same person. You are not alone, actually!

Whether from an existentialist, theological or other point-of-view, humans have always subcombed to evil over good, complaceny over priciple; in the name of survival. From universal power grabs through atomic energy under the guise of human advancement, to Dr. Susse that teach children “A person's a person, no matter how small,” Theodor Seuss Geisel, a.k.a. Dr. Seuss, would say. “Children want the same things we want. To laugh, to be challenged, to be entertained and delighted.” Hence, our next generation of individualist driving to ‘succeed by any means necessary,’ to have, laugh, and be entertained as any normal capitalist. Ultimate loyalty has always been to oneself, not country, not even to family although most would disagree with that statement. Self-sacrifice is little more than another example of effective social conditioning, at it’s best. Some are willing to die for country, and some want to die to simply be free of pain and suffering. Is a drug overdose, or alcohol poisoning a mistake or just not caring anymore.

The big picture is still unexposed, I think, but the slow development appear to show more destruction of life and lives. Quests for ever illusive immortality supplement tyrannical aims to impose what someone else thinks is best for humankind. While the big fight is over why a few have more than most, and for right to life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness.

We darn humans are only better and better in justifying our inhumanity towards mankind. I travelled all the way here to the Middle East, the cradle of civilization where it is said to have all started. Still here, for over five-years now, Jerusalem Israel, I’ve decided that researching and examining the holy texts, all the ancient texts may yield some explanation, if not answers to this ‘ball of confusion.’ Almost there, I almost understand classical Arabic and Hebrew to help in my quest. But the truth is, I doubt anything I learn would be different from what I already know, except more clarity.

I believe your post is pretty close to 'a truth!' We must accept our differentness and continue on, anyway! It is easy to get distressed over present conditions in our social order! Somedays, I feel like taking on a 'situation,' with my bare hands...then i remember I don't have god, qualities! The next week, I am taking myself, into my own hands and figuring out just what will give me a sense of purpose and what I can do that will add something toward the 'good'...and I realize that is within my reach. We seem to be alone...in the mist of a very crowded society!

Agreed..

Had to look to see where you live...hopefully you can find like minded people in your area. I live in a city of about 50,000 in southern Minnesota. Thankfully there is a nice community of people here who are like minded.

Welcome you have friends here.

Welcome to MY world sweet lady and you are indeed very welcome here. I wish you well and success in finding what you are searching for here and in your life.

I'd ask you to grab a coffee if you weren't so far away! Stay strong.

I hear you loud and clear! I'd be more than happy to call you friend. Seeing things clearly while everyone else is still caught up in illusions is a very lonely feeling. I'm willing to bet there are folks around you who feel the same but are too frightened or unsure of themselves to say so.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:32802
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.