Agnostic.com

27 0

Do you say "god bless you" when someone sneezes?

What are your thoughts about saying it or not?

Kaybee01 4 Mar 5

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

27 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

No. I say cover your mouth.

I think it's fun to go out of my way to not say it to someone who is expecting to hear it.
Just leave that awckward silence hanging out there for a second or two. LOL

I just say bless you.

Me too 🙂

Nope. I say nothing. Sometimes I get chastised for my rudeness

After I sneeze, I say, "the demons are coming out."
So then it makes more sense when people say "God bless you" to me.

I may be wrong but I think it was George Carlin who said when someone sneezed "Stop it!!'

I say gesundheit. Habit

I actually still say bless you. Just a habit.

It's depends on my mood and/or who sneezes, but I say either "Gesundheit." or "Spread your damned germs somewhere else."

JimG Level 8 Mar 5, 2018

NO!!!!!

I say nothing, or gesundheit (but usually nothing). At work, I'm surrounded by believers, but none of them are especially religious. That said, the impulse/urge to say something is fairly strong having been ingrained in us all our whole lives. But I am somehow able to resist. LOL! Frankly, I'M a bit offended at the expectation.

No, just bless you.

NO. I say, "Gesundheit!"

I leave out the god and just say 'bless you'

If I know them, I tell them to shut up. (They know that I am a joker.)

You could quickly say "is your cousin tight." Say it as one word and if they figure it out deny it.

No. I have been trying to say it for other bodily noises and behaviors.

Burping, gasus erruptus, coughing,..: "God bless you," sound strange. But fun.

And: I work and tease sneezes to make them a full body experience. Don't get them often. Sure wanna make them count.

Oh hell Noooo..gesundheit still works..

I say 'bless you'.
Even when I'm hanging out with my atheist friends and someone sneezes, we all say bless you.
I have often joked with friends/acquaintances that know full well that I'm an atheist and say something to the effect of "Bless You, My Child".
As Silvertongue said, I think it's more to acknowledge someone's discomfort.
I wish there was some appropriate phrase to say when someone coughs or chokes a little, other that "are you ok?" .

God bless you and all those you sneezed on.Its a hangover from.the plague or something

I say, "dam...where's the second one?" I never have said bless you. does anybody know how that saying came about?

I say Gesundheit! or Salud! but sometimes my early catholic possession kicks in and I say Bless You! aaaggghhhh!

I just say "bless you," unless they sneezed on me without covering their nose. Then I kinda cuss them out.

Yes, but I want everyone to know what I mean when I say it. of course, that is a lot to go into; so I just let it stand at spoken, and let them project whatever it is they want to project; but again, I wish I had the time and energy to explain myself to every one who hears it.

Yes I always say god bless you. when someone sneezes

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:32897
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.