Agnostic.com

15 2

Sexism

Can women even be sexist?or is it all down to men as usual.

findmegenie 4 Mar 5

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

15 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

You bet they can, and I've certainly dealt with some on at least two jobs in the past right off the top of my head. That however is a topic the mainstream media sources love to stay silent on.

Women can definitely be sexist. All third wave feminists are extremely sexist.

@TjallTjallOUTLK You are a gun control advocate, are you not? That's being a person who wants to take rights from others. That was actually pretty sexist, the thought that "until they (men) work for us..." That implies a desire for matriarchy, which is female lead sexism made law.

Wow when you folks get into it,you really get into it.....there are some extremely well read and very inteligent people here!! some comments I have to read s-l-o-w-l-y a couple times to even have a clue!!im not being a smart ass or sarcastic either ......this is one bad ass group of folks and im glad I found y,all. (I don't type at all.....it would take me forever to capitalise , indent paragraphs ,and make type a message uh ,correctly so im sorry to the people it bothers ,and yeah im done PEACE

of course they can

I've been a feminist since the 1980s I don't hate men.
Not all men are "one thing".

Neither are all women.

Recognize this. Pay accordingly. Don't mack on people who don't want to be macked on.

Know that men are usually more physically powerful than women and this is freaking intimidating.

Don't be a jerk. (This goes for both sexes).

Listen to each other.

Respect each other. Gees.... (If I hear one more person say "poor white man" I will scream.).

Male and female sexism are totally different animals and can't be compared. Men have no idea why a woman would act sexist. Sexual harrassment is basically a male thing. Women on the other hand might carry a sexist opinion of men because they've been raped. Sexists seem to be people lacking empathy for other people.

Look up the meaning in a dictionary..If someone's been rapedf they are obviously bitter and with good reason.Sexism is to be discriminated either for or against becausei of your gender.

I know that there are guys that think the whole anti sexism thing is invaild unless we stamp out all discrimination against men first, make sure no women every say anything bad about men in general, then and only then can we deal with the systemic discrimination of women.

If you believe in equality, sexism against men is just not that big of a social problem. It's barely noticeable if you honestly pay attention to sexism effecting women.

Here something to chew on. If you are sexist, you probably believe it's because women's ideas were not as good. If your a women, it's just a Tuesday.
[fortune.com]

JeffB Level 6 Mar 5, 2018

Yes. Women absolutely can be sexist. I've seen women make hiring decisions for general office jobs based on gender (literally stating they don't hire men), I've seen women deliberately refuse to believe statements made by men solely because they were men, I've seen women refuse service by men, etc.

Anytime you make a gender bias, you are being sexist. The moment you say/react as if 'Men are supposed to...' You are being sexist.

Good for you all.First time I've ever had coherent answers to this simple question . The idea that women can't be sexist isvan oxymoron yet I've been assured on a few occasions that because women are' 'oppressed' they can't be sexist.Quite hilarious really
So a black woman can be racist or sexist too.I feel better already.

How is a woman sexist?

By holding generalised negative opinions about men?

Sorry haven't met any

@sassygirl3869 You need to pay attention. There are women on this site who make sexist statements.

I stay away from negative people and situations.

Ireally haven't seen much sexism here since Nov. I've argued with bigots-my pet peeve and conservatives but not sexists.

I think the more salient aspect is control. As with racism, sexism is a mechanism whereby women are held at a lower esteem. Yes, a semantic argument can be had that it needn't be about control, but bias. I think, though, it isn't that simple. Sure, a woman can choose to hire a woman over a man, regardless of how their resumes compare, but the fact this occurs more in the opposite shows that it is part of a societal norm. To my mind, it would take a tumultuous paradigm shift for "reverse sexism" to occur.

Not sure are you suggesting that because more women are victims then male victims don't matter at all or just not enough to worry about

I think it depends on who holds power.

Well of course. Any discrimination is discrimination. I think it's just important to examine our motives when seeking classifications. The language in which the question is presented implies a certain bias or expectation. Namely in this case, the "as usual" part implies indignation and an expectation that the response would be something contrary in nature. Unfortunately that language also tends to breed contrarianism. Or at least further indignation.

Well put.

Anyone can be anythingist.

It's an attitude and a thought process. Predjudice and discrimination aren't the preserve of men.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:32918
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.