Agnostic.com

17 6

Thoughts from my gay friends here?

I have 2 kids, gay daughter 33 and straight son 31.
My son is very down to earth (mostly) conscientious, lives within his means. My daughter is just the opposite, lives for lifestyle. She and some other gay friends of mine are really "out there" with all their activities and she spends money she only barely has, never plans for the future. It is all about now, being seen, out having fun. She goes to strip clubs, gay bars, the usual night life sort of stuff that my son and I just can't get into. She was raised on a hippie commune in the bush until her teens. Just wondering how much of her outlook in life might be drawn from "fitting in" with the gay scene. Any thoughts?

Rugglesby 8 Mar 6

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

17 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I do not think being gay had a damn thing to do with it. I have several gay/lesbian friends and none are irresponsible with their money/checkbooks. I have some straight friends who are scary with money and have filed for bankrupcy.

Agree that her sexuality has nothing to do with it, her partner is very good with money, but her partner also avoids the party and club scene. It is the "scene" that I see as the problem, she and all her friends who are into it are always broke, living beyond their means. It is her desire/need to "fit in" with situations she cannot afford that is my concern.

@Rugglesby Our understanding of things comes so much from self. I'm a loner and never felt I had to fit in so when I see what to me seems counter productive behavior I am puzzled. Ya try to help but ultimately everyone is the captain of their own ship and you have to let them sail it.

@silverotter11 yep, so true , and you are right, I really don't see the attraction of that lifestyle. Nightlife parties and stuff has always left me cold, prefer to see people put their money and energy into getting ahead in life rather than clubbing their lives away.

@Rugglesby But where would we be without those juicy tabloid headlines? LOL

There are plenty of cishet people who are into the now, being seen, and out having fun, go to bars and strip clubs, live week to week, and don't plan for the future. It's unrelated to her sexuality.

not to her sexuality, some of our gay friends are very responsible, but those into the "scene" struggle to pay their bills, yet are out partying every night. I guess I not it more with my daughter because the clubs she goes to are almost exclusively gay clubs and there is ALWAYS something happening in her calendar.

There are just as many frugal gay people as partiers. A lot of it has to do with the person in general. My guess is she's hanging out with people who are very much the same as her. Hopefully, she'll meet some friends who will broaden her horizons a little so that she can find balance.

You are completely right, her fiance is a good money manager by all accounts, and does not party with the rest of them. I find it strange that my daughter continues to go out partying with her party friends, while her fiance stays home.

Not really..she is an adult.

I have noticed that with my gay friends there seems to be a desire to "fit in", that is within the gay community. It is understandable, they have been rejected particularly by the predominatly religious communty. I am here for the same reason to "fit in" and to help other atheist feel normal and accepted. This may not be your daughters case at all. I have a 19 y/o daughter. I keep in mind that I was very stupid and somtimes reckless when I was young, then I had kids and got old....

I am sure that trying to fit in is a big part of it, her mother rejected her as a child, and totally when she came out. She craves acceptance. One of the things that annoys me is she says she still cops prejudice and often. I really thought that this had largely faded in the area we live.

@Rugglesby I'm sure she is aware of your feelings toward bigotry, There is much more to be said for just being there than we know. My kids constantly tell me it is not what I said but how I lived my life that has had the most influence. It is enough for them that I am concerned. You are obviously concerned and I have not a Doubt she knows it. Just keep on truckin!

Remember, it is her life to live as she sees fit. She will have to pay the consequences when you are long gone. Don't shorten your own life fretting about her decisions. I will tell you that I did not settle down until I was in my late twentys. Oh, but the memories. Remember, she has50% of her
genes from you!

You have two children, not 'kids' any more. As one who has two grown children of his own, it's amazing to me how much you know of your daughter's personal life. I have a 30 year old daughter and a 27 year old son, and if I knew what you seem to know, I would think myself an intruder ... and if it's Facebook, my recommendation would be to disconnect. Whatever happened to the umbilical chord?

We do our best during the typically brief period of time we are fortunate enough to have our children in our care, but after that ... well, they need to be themselves, and we need to be ourselves. I'm sorry to sound so harsh, but your post has a ring of the Dear Abby (or was it her sister, Ann Landers) to it, and it just struck me as requiring a response.

My son and I share a house, my daughter only moved out a few weeks back, very few secrets or reasons to have secrets.

Try if you can to disassociate yourself from the "shoulds." She should not be spending money this way, she goes to events that cost too much,etc. If your daughter is not asking YOU to fund her lifestyle, then try to look at this behavior as an activity that meets some needs of hers. Maybe she has always dreamed of being able to afford doing stuff with friends, and now she can. Maybe she has wanted to feel stylish and sophisticated and now she does. Hopefully over time she will come to an awareness of the fact that following this pattern long-term will be problematic (need savings to put a down payment on a car or house, for example). But in the short run, remind yourself that this is part of her learning to be an adult and to be responsible.

ta, it has been a source of frustration. Daddys little girl with puppy dog eyes. Couple of years ago she was at my place with tyres falling apart, so 5 new tyres, last week was a new battery, she doesn't ask, she was here and car wouldn't start. Over protective father I know, my son says so as well.

@Rugglesby My therapist (my internal therapist, at least) would say that you may be making it too easy for her to be irresponsible. Do you expect her to pay you back when you perform these rescue maneuvers? Maybe it's time (next time, obviously) to negotiate a payment arrangement. Or encourage her to buy recycled (or retread-ed or whatever the term is) tires. (I didn't even know that was a THING until relatively recently.)

Sing if you're happy that way . In england in my rich little town no one cared . The best comedians were openly gay and some of the best musicians were too [ queen , elton] only in america you say ....pity

Not your life, not your business. Just my 10 cents which is worth nothing. Why do you care? It must bother you??

Call me crazy, but I'm going to guess that he cares because it's his daughter.

@fantasticalice no issues at all with her sexuality, just worry that she feels down at times and under financial pressure, from my perspective she should prioritise her spending better, but of course her friends are all broke like she is due to their lifestyle. I raised the kids on my own, they have done it tough, I would like them to have things a bit easier,

@BlueWave One can care too much.

@pnullifidian I disagree on that one, I nearly lost her at 15, spent a week in hospital with her, she was so sick they put a cot in her room for me as each day was touch and go, then a year later took her interstate for major surgery. She will always have a remnant health issue.

@Rugglesby I understand, believe me I do. Our son was hospitalized for two weeks with a severe spinal infection (osteomyelitis), as complication of what we later learned was Crohn's disease--he had 18 inches of his intestine removed. My wife and I tag-teamed the bedside watch. He's 27 now, and I love him more than ever ... more than words can really say. And he loves us too, but we had to let him fly ... not good bye, just a role transition. And I've learned more from him and his sister than I believe I ever taught them. Peace.

I don't think those activites are limited to the "gay scene", but is generally a scene of those without kids in general, regardless of sexual orientation.

I am a gay man who never really got into the "scene" of bars, parties and the fascades that goes with them.

I think of it all more as a "Peter Pan Syndrome", where a lack of kids, and are only responsible for yourself alone, means you never have to really take on the full responsiblities of adulthood... if you don't want to. Even soem peopel who have kids are like that... somewhat irrespnsible.

Batting 500 is not bad these days.Good luck, aw sucks we do not believe in luck!

Why do you say he is "batting 500"? He has two wonderful kids, one of whom he sees eye-to-eye with re: money, and one whose approach to money he is less comfortable with. Doesn't add up to any kind of a problem that I can see.

I have seen several families including one in my family that displayed these traits and they have become major problems for the family. In two cases we no longer know what happened to the people they have fallen off the map. Two have becomes drug cases as they were never able to hold a job or stay with one person and always had money problems. The last case I am familiar with the person has been in and out of drug therapy and emotional therapy. She is 33 and has droped out of college ,had over 20 jobs is unemployed now and lives with parents and has over $40000 in debt.

When my daughter was primarily dating women, she could be described much like your daughter. Now that it seems like she is primarily dating men, she is also much like your daughter in terms of money, going out, being seen, etc. 🙂

I will add for my daughter that, in addition to not planning for the future, not saving money, she seems very much like the stereotypical entitled millennial, travels more than I, etc. Anyway, without getting too personal about details, suffice to say there is more and everything together is currently causing me a lot of pain and distress.

My point is is that I don’t think it can be attributed to being gay.

My niece, who is only 24, is very much the opposite. She is smart with money, focused on career and stability, saves, all the while still having fun and appearing to have a good life.

Your not alone grand daughter driving family nuts

Yeah, it is not being gay the is the issue, her partner/fiance is really good at home and money management. But she also does not do the bars and nightclubs. This is another worry, that my daughter is out at all these expensive events and yet her partner is not.
I have a straight de-facto daughter who also does the clubbing with the group, she is just as bad managing money.

If she was straight, she'd most likely still be out clubbing. She probably just loves the nightlife. It can be addictive. I don't think you can attribute this to 'the gay scene.' Your daughter is just someone who prioritises having a fun night out with friends over saving and investing. Can't say I blame her. You only live once.

You could well be right, I guess it stands out because she only goes to gay venues, and as mentioned in another comment, her partner does not go to these places. Partying and such is fine but when you are always broke, needing car repairs and short for other expenses, maybe she should give the clubs a break for a while.

It's a lesson she needs to learn for herself, and perhaps never will. I wouldn't worry about it too much, as long as she isn't running up a ton of debt in the process. And again, even if she is, that's her business unless she's prone to running to you for money.

And maybe she'll grow out of it. I went through a phase a couple of years ago where I was doing nights out at least a couple of times a month, blowing a minimum of £50 each time (£100 if I was staying over in a hotel.) Now I tend to do it every other month, and that balance broadly works for me.

Some people are just predisposed to living hand to mouth. It's kind of circular. If you're used to not having money, then when you have a bit to spare, you do something fun with it. Which means that when you need money for an unexpected bill, you have no savings, and you're back to being flat broke again.

I can only speak from my own personal experience, but it would seem that it kind of depends on when someone comes out. I think for someone newly out of the closet it's perfectly normal to embrace the "gay lifestyle" with abandon. And yes, that involves a certain amount of hedonism. But over a period of time, as things become more "normal", that recedes. I mean, everyone's gay nowadays. It's not nearly as chic or mysterious as it once was. (Sadly. HAHA!). And not to reinforce stereotypes, but gay people are notorious for spending beyond their means. Unfortunate, but true.

Thanks, I was wondering how much influence was from friends and lifestyle and how much form her mother. I know many of her friends and they are the same, and an ex flatmate who came out of the closest the same time , about 13 year ago is really so out there. We are still good mates though he moved interstate about 8 years back. He shocks his mother with his social media posts.

@Rugglesby Ehh, my mom still isn't crazy about a lot of the posts I make either. She is the utter opposite of a gay, liberal atheist. It is what it is.

@CollinChapman I know that one well my ex went ballistic when she found out. My daughter was terrified and invited her mother over so her brother and I would be there as moral support. 13 years later her mother is slowly coming around.

We are ALL autonamous individuals and there is NO one size fits all for humans.

I`m not.

(sorry I couldn`t resist the life of Brian joke)

so true, I just worry tat she is always broke, and yet doing things I could never afford, I know, one is the reason for the other.

@Rugglesby I am right there with you! About a year ago, I made a vow to myself and also told my daughter that I would not be getting financially tangled with her any longer (no loans, no co-signing on cars or apartments). However, I was still occasionally sending her e-gift cards for groceries and such. I finally got to the point where I realized if she can afford acrylic nails every two weeks, and clothes, and 8000 pairs of shoes, and going out all the time, then she did not need my grocery money. She’s 28 now. I still worry about her constantly, but I cannot be her bank or hall monitor.

@BlueWave I totally agree with what you have stated.

@BlueWave That is pretty much the situation, I want to help her out, but don't want it squandered. I helped my son when his job died 2 months back, and have set aside the same amount to give to my daughter. I am happy for her to use it for rental bond, furniture and such for setting up their new place, but don't want to see it all go on 6 months of Maccas and theme parks. Part of me says to give it to her fiance to manage, but I feel my daughter would feel slighted, I think I would it is happened to me. ahhh the joys of kids.

@BlueWave agree100%

I don't think much at all. its more peer pressure and lack of forsight or making the most of life. its not a gay thing I don't think.

no, not a gay thing, just the over the top spending that she seems to think she must do to fit in with all her friends. Sadly they are all in the same position, clubbing and not paying their bills, So far at least she is not in debt, but only just.

youthful exuberance really. I'm not gay and that's what I basically did.

@LeighShelton same here lol I wasted so much time having fun/ a few regrets but oh well! I turned out ok

me too I think. you only live once.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:33159
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.