Agnostic.com

55 5

Is there any way that religion can be proved to be man made?

dinoid 5 Apr 18

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

55 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

How about reason as a means? Name any concept that is NOT of human origin. The proof burden would be then where it belongs; on the part of the propagator.

@Antifred

The making of choices to advance survival and perpetuation didn't begin with us. What proportion of such functions are mental vs. instinctual is almost impossible to determine in species with which we cannot share or exchange ideas. Perhaps it could have been more accurately expressed as thought system instead of concept.

@Antifred They show love and love and life manifest inseparably. It takes human societies to separate and qualify them. Emotion still isn't a system of thought, such as a 'religion'; or as I prefer calling them, theologies.

Thanks for your replies, like most of you say, a person of faith will not believe evidence even if it is put before them. However faith is losing the battle world wide, but it is so entrenched, it becomes a very slow process. Let's give it a go to prove religion is man made. There are thousands of different religions in the world and there are lots of football teams, all different. There are politics, all of a different position and so on and so on. An intelligent species needs these variants of intelligence or there would no intelligence. If we consider all the religions and toss in the atheists and agnostics, it gives an illusion of segregation, but the fact is they are acting as one; all are doing what is dictated to them by the laws of nature. 'Evolution.' Intelligence demands this order for it to survive. When those of faith come up with something they cannot explain they bring in the supernatural in a desperate attempt at clarification, but the truth is, they are doing exactly the opposite. If the world was ruled by one religion with these opposed views to reality, then our species would start to decline, because that would destroy purpose and purpose is the food of intelligent life. Religion is definitely man made.

Interesting analogy. It's important to consider that evolution can not function with dilution. The dismantling of those things that do not function or serve no purpose is required. In terms of ideas and beliefs, this manifests itself in the rejection of other ideas, effectively rendering them immortal. In order to kill an old idea you must either plant both ideas and wait for the superior to overpower the other, hit it with overwhelming force, or corrupt it's basis for existence effectively starving it.
If you have seen the Pew research centers statistics on religious beliefs it clearly shows a trend away from religion in millennials, however closer inspections shows that most identify as "spiritual non denominational" rather than atheist or agnostic.

@Happy_Killbot no dismantling is required. things atrophy; species starve to death. there is no drive to evolve unless it is necessary, but if it's not necessary, that doesn't mean the thing that didn't evolve blows up. cockroaches are doing just fine, thanks, even if they've never built pyramids or written plays.

g

@genessa I'm referring to the evolution of ideas not species. Ideas don't decay or starve to death, they are bulletproof.
Consider this example: If a company wants to have quality employees, they need to hire hard working qualified people who are a good fit with the culture, and fire people who are lazy or a bad fit. Only by doing both of those things can a company "evolve" into a better one.

If you only hire more people your company will end up paying people who aren't providing enough benefit to justify their paycheck.
If you only fire bad people work won't be done and your company will fail due to inefficiency or people will quit due to being overworked.

Where as species evolve by external pressures ideas evolve via deliberate action by entities exercising agency.

@Happy_Killbot you didn't SAY evolution of ideas, and your post didn't really indicate that you meant ideas, so how would we know? your example, by the way, isn't really evolution. you can use the word casually that way and everyone will understand what you mean, and it's okay to do that, but if you're trying to make an analogy to show how ideas can evolve, that's not a valid one, because that process you described is not even remotely similar to actual evolution. in actual evolution there is no dismantling, and i stand by what i said.

g

@genessa Evolution: the gradual development of something, especially from a simple to a more complex form.
"the forms of written languages undergo constant evolution"

When an animal eats another organism, the consumed organism is digested down to the molecular level. A special protein, known as nuclease in humans, breaks down DNA that can then be absorbed and rearranged into human cells. That requires the dismantling of old things in order to make new things. Sick and weak animals need to die in order for strong healthy ones to survive. If it wasn't this way, there would be a regression to the median and no true progression could occur.

With ideas, the same thing has to happen. Good luck finding many people who think feudalism is a good idea for example. I don't mean the records should be destroyed, just that evolution of things requires the dissemination of old things. You can't keep adding new ideas to the old and expecting them to get better, you have to challenge old ideas with new ones and forget the ones that are no better or worse than the old ones and replace old ones with new ones as they are more capable, thus creating a feed back loop of progress.

Let me put this in a logical statement:
-If something evolved then it changed over time
-something that changed is not in it's original form
-therefore the original state no longer exists after time has passed

@Happy_Killbot original state no longer existing AFTER TIME HAS PASSED, yes. that is not dismantling. but whatever. and many times the original state does still exist.

g

The religious impulse is deeply embedded in the human psyche and is the source of all human creativity, science, art, etc. Individual religions were concocted by people for various reasons, some more benevolent than others, but those religions could not have been created without innate human religiosity. For evidence look at the widespread proliferation of religion throughout history.

Proofs are not absolute things. Each person has to look at the evidence and form her own opinion.

Anything made by humans is man-made but mankind itself is a product of nature or whatever you want to call it—higher power, etc.

@icolan The reason I call it the religious impulse is because of that inexplicable spark of conscious awareness that fosters a sense of deep awe and wonder in the face of the overwhelming mysteries of reality. From that spark comes thrilling vision, and there arises the utmost motivation to live well, to invent, to create.

If, because of negative associations you dislike the religion word it is perfectly ok with me to call it something else. However, for me, calling it the creative impulse doesn’t tell the whole story.

The religious impulse is deeply embedded in the human psyche and is the source of all human creativity, science, art, etc.................................. That's has no basis in any truth. A religious belief has nothing to do with science, art or creativity. Many an atheist was a great artist, a great inventor, or created new technologies.

@grammy A religious belief is nothing but an opinion and has little or nothing to do with anything. I’m not talking about religious belief. I’m talking about our primal spark of awareness which brought to humanity a sense of reverence and awe for existence. It is religion in its purest form.

No need for proof! Who invented them then, the penguins, the monkeys?

I doubt the monkeys would have the husband as the head of the wife, just as Christ is the head of the church.

In Islam, a dead man gets 72 virgins. A woman gets her husband back. (And generous as Allah is, if she married more than once, she gets to choose which husband she reunites with! Wow! How she gets along with the 72 virgins in paradise is anyone's guess.)

@greyeyed123 but I heard that all women become virgins again when they get to heaven 😉

@girlwithsmiles Oh gawd....no thanks!

@dinoid - you simply asked the wrong question... It is not up to the non-believers to prove that religion is man made ...it IS up to the believers to prove that it is NOT !

Hello Frosty, you are right of course, but it is something that they will not do, so it is up to us.
Read my answer with 'resserts' level 8

@dinoid - You are not going to convince a believer ...so why bother?

To start with Mary wasn't a virgin.yes she had a child named him Jesus.he never died on the cross.so he never rose from dead.get the big picture.its all not true.

The post questions religion, and your response is about jesus.... look inside yourself and find the big picture. ... why are you here, really?

@frisbee212isn't religion all backed by jesus??

@frisbee212 We are here because our parents joined and our mother gave us birth. Our reason for living is up to each individual person.

It's very interesting.

No, I watched the first 17 min but gave up because I think he is going off in the wrong direction.

@cava Ok. Maybe the book? Sometimes the written method has more information.

The faithfools don't accept science, they don't accept reason, they don't accept modern times, they do not accept the reality...... how would they accept the proof the God is man-made?

A woman in the U.S. just saw Jesus standing in the burning spire of Notre Dame on TV. This is in 2019? The faithfools see Jesus in bread toast. They see Mother Mary crying blood. All this defies logic and reason. You cannot convert the stupid. Stupid is by choice. Once they have made it, they cannot be changed. They must die out.

I worry about the type of people we'll be left with if all the religious die out. I don't think the world has a substitute for them in place yet.

@brentan How so? Most of China and Russia have a lot of people and they look beautiful. Remember, initially there were only Adam and Eve and they got to eat the apple.

Simple. Religion did not exist prior to lthe time that evolution produced the modern homo sapien.

I think that that is both unsubstantiated and untrue.

@Metahuman Its substantiation is the grounds that no evidence of religion among any other earthly creatures has ever been found. Try that for starters. Rebut that!

Even most deists could agree with you that religion is socially constructed by humans. Also, you may want to read Peter Berger’s The Sacred Canopy to help you make your argument.

That looks like an interesting book. I'm not familiar with Bergers work, but I'm going to have to look into it now. Just Googled it briefly. Reminds me somewhat of Robert Pirsig, Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance.

I think you just did...... just by posing that question and not getting killed instantly by lightning kind of proves that religion is man made. 🙂

There's still time. I'd better say my prayers.

@dinoid I was gonna say... report back dude !!!!!!!

Looking at the replies, i've had many a giggle and some inspiring answers. Thank you all for that.

I am now wondering what kind of feedback I would get if I asked how the design in nature came about?

that i really can not say for sure. what i can say for sure is that god was not, because he does not exist 😛

Justify that there is in fact design in nature. What do you mean how the design in nature came about? It's not design. You're begging the question.

Yes. Just read the Bible.

There's to many lies

@Gbgood there are too many...

@genessa and Happy_Killpot are at conflict to sort this out. My next question is going to be about the protozoan and others. Science says it has no recognizable evolutionary history, but we all know it does. How it fits with evolution will perhaps answer both of your points of view.

do you mean they never evolved into anything or that nothing evolved into them? the former certainly isn't true, nor does science (which isn't a voice, but an area of study) say it is. i don't know anyone who says they magically appeared out of nowhere either. so i don't understand what you mean. can you specify? meanwhile, [britannica.com]

g

HOw do we all know that protozoan have a evolutionary history? I think will take the science over your idea.

Many philosophers have pontificated that very question... Descartes, and Hume and fucking Plato, et. al...have asked themselves, "Is it logical to believe in a Supreme Being?"...

One of Descartes reasoning is... accepting his being as imperfect..yet, his imperfect mind can imagine a perfect Being, aka God, ..one attribute of perfection, would include existence...nonexistence, to a fault, is less than perfection.

...nothing to do with jesus, mind you...

You mean like, maybe religion is force of nature?

Maybe mystical thinking is a phase a species or a culture goes through in the same way that it's one that a child goes through. Do you remember what it was like to see the world as a very young child? Everything's Magic. And it has to be you're not capable of understanding it in any higher way until you learn your way through it. Maybe our species has to do the same thing, and we're just the older kids whove learned a little logic and a little reason and look down on the Poor Little Tots that haven't got there yet.

Just ask a group of Humans to stop talking about god for a year. I have not tried it but I would wager that god disappears.

"Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away." --Philip K. Dick

I am always amazed at how people just assume that "religion" refers to only Christianity, Islam or Judism. These 3 religions are barely 3,000 yrs old and humanity has been around millions of years.

RIGHT?!

What other creature on this planet has the imagination, creativity, and need for attention than a human? Our history is filled with imaginative story-tellers as well as greedy power hungry people who lie, cheat, manipulate, and take advantage when the opportunity presents itself. Leaders past and present have taken advantage by creating fear with misinformation and used religion to gain control.
If a deity needs recognition and adulation then it would present itself to all humans, it is inefficient otherwise.

Betty Level 8 Apr 18, 2019

To answer the question, Um... dolphins? Everything you said after that question has nothing to do with dolphins.

Proof is tricky, but I think it can be illustrated to be manmade in at least some cases. For example, we can see from pre-Hebrew societies that the Israelites adopted the god Yahweh from early Sumarian and Canaanite traditions. Yahweh, being a warrior god, held special significance to the wandering, warring Hebrew people of the time. The most interesting thing to me regarding this adoption is that there was a major shift in how the Hebrews turned a god into a travel companion, as before this time gods were considered to be tied to a particular region. The wandering Hebrews carried their god with them. Anyway, getting back to the synthetic nature of religion, early Jewish writings are clear that they believe in a pantheon of gods (e.g., the gods of Canaan and Sumaria), and this is what we see with the reference to "El" as a single god but "elohim" is often used to suggest a plurality of gods (though, as I understand it, not exclusively used as a plural noun). Also, Yahweh wasn't initially considered all-loving or all-good, and Satan wasn't especially evil (more of an advisor, it seems), but we see over time, as the religion itself evolved, that the positive traits remained with Yahweh while the evil is transferred to Satan. Death is the end, too, until the New Testament when Heaven and Hell become the eternal reward and punishment for humanity. The physical burning pit of Sheol where the bodies of the dead were disposed became the ethereal torture of Hell with Satan actively corrupting humanity and presiding over eternal damnation. (Step 1: Tempt humanity. Step 2: ??? Step 3: Profit.) And, even in the Gospels of Mark, Matthew, Luke, and John, we see a very sharp evolution in theology, with Mark being quite simple compared to the theology of John. Then, of course, there's Paul of Tarsus. I think Paul illustrates the manmade nature of Christianity quite clearly. Without Paul, Christianity wouldn't exist. He was an effective marketing agent, but the religion itself was a means to an end. Paul was an activist. He was politically motivated. He exercised influence (yes, even before social media there were influencers). He was looking to effect change socially and politically, and religion gave him the means to reach people, to convince people to live in specific ways. And it's Paul's words that many Christians today focus on, rather than Jesus. To justify war, for example, despite Jesus being so clearly depicted as a pacifist, Paul promotes the right to self defense. There are actually many topics on which Paul contradicts Jesus, e.g., Jesus says he comes not to abolish the law but to fulfill it while Paul claims that the law of Moses ended with Jesus.

And all this above (sorry for the wall of text) is a tiny drop in just one religion (or, set of religions, in the Abrahamic tradition) — and, if we want to get down to it, the fact that there are so many denominations of Christianity is pretty powerful evidence that humanity is the author of that particular religion — but I'm sure honest inquiry into all of the well-established religions of the world with a rich history spanning millennia would reveal similar patterns. I'm not a historian, though, and I don't study world religions in any great depth. But, with all of that said, no matter how significant the evidence might be that religion is the child of humans and not representative of anything divine, the devout will reject such notions and fall back to faith-based belief. I don't think it ultimately matters whether there's proof of human invention in religion, though; the fact that there's no evidence to support religion's myriad claims is more important to me. While it may be interesting to see how religion has evolved and bent to the whims of the powerful throughout history, it's not an argument against religion's claims. Illustrating the logical flaws in theistic arguments is much more valuable in my opinion.

Thanks for your reply, I couldn't be a religious historian either, for the very fact it would be like reading 'Mid Summers Night's Dream' only worse, because religion is assumed to be true and nothing could be further from the truth. (Embarrassing) When I look at all the thousands of religions in the world, I recognize them for what they are. If you throw into the mix the atheists and agnostics, what you get is the variants of intelligence that an intelligent species needs to survive; this correlation gives purpose, because purpose is the food of intelligence. If we were all on the same level, there would be no intelligent species. Though the religious won't like this, it is something they will have to face in the future as our knowledge grows. The fact is, the variety of religions along with every other field of intelligent design is down to the laws of nature, it dictates the pattern. We are all, including religion, subjected to the laws that drives evolution. Yes even religion is the result of evolution. When religious people come up against something that they can't explain; in a desperate attempt at clarification they call it supernatural, but instead of clarifying they are doing the opposite. Imagine a world ruled by one religion with its opposed view of reality; it would destroy purpose, our species would soon be on the decline and on its way to extinction. This is why religion will eventually have to go; it's defeating its own purpose. It is going against everything that nature is telling us.

wrong question. should be "Is there proof of a god-made religion?"

There are no wrong questions

To the satisfaction of a fanatic? No.

To the satisfaction of a reasonable, reasoning person? Yes. I think that's how most of us ended up here.

Well said.

read Yuval Harari's "Sapiens"

It might be a matter of definition. We can, and have, proven that all religious texts etc. were composed and written by people (coincidentally most of these people were men) and in this sense were man made. Almost all claim that an invisible, undetectable, and immaterial being told them what or about what to write. Pastafarians, on the other hand, admit that they just made it up, hence are the only provably honest religion.

Ummm what's your alternative?

lerlo Level 8 Apr 18, 2019
Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:333323
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.