Agnostic.com

31 21

Well, friends, I had a very scary experience the other day, and I wanted to share just in case anyone else has anything similar happen.

As many of you know, I write books. Some of my work is in the University Library System at UAB, so occasionally I do hear from a student. Well, I was contacted by someone saying they were a UAB student, and they wanted to chat with me briefly. Naturally, I assumed this was nothing sinister.

I was wrong.

I opened google hangout, and found a nice looking woman on the small screen. What I didn't realize was that the invite I'd gotten also opened my camera - after just a few seconds of me waiting for her to say something, or type something, I was sent a video - a video with 'my image' from the chat, added in to someone else (who was doing naughty things on camera that should not be done on camera).

Before I could ask, "What the hell??" the person (now I'm not sure who they really were) says, 'for $1500, this video doesn't have to be sent to your friends and family, or go online'.

My response was that I hadn't done anything; that wasn't me in the video. Their answer was chilling.

"It doesn't have to be real to ruin your life".

Long and short of the story was, I was stupid and trusting, and these scammers are very good at what they do. I did not send any money, but I have had to deactivate all my social media for a few weeks at least (aside from here - I feel safe here). But it was very stressful, and very frightening.

I am usually smarter than that. Now, I plan on painting over the front facing camera. And unless it's in person, I'm not accepting chat invites from people I don't know - even if it sounds like it could be legit.

Everyone - be careful. It's my understanding that, while it s mostly men being targeted with this kind of scam, that women have fallen victim as well. One person whose testimony I read said that they were gotten for over $8k. And yes, a few people have had the videos put online.

So - be careful, my friends. After all this, I think I need a drink.

-Derek

DerekD 7 Mar 6

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

31 comments (26 - 31)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Here's something that can help. Partition your hard drive, Don't put anything on one partition but Windows. Put all your other apps on another partition like your camara driver, all your important stuff on a flash drive It's harder to hack thru a partition and your important stuff is only vunerable when it's plugged which you only do when you need it

My grand kids use my computer so I put a piece of tape over the camera. I had a similar experience though on Plenty of FIsh dating site--they ask fror your email then use your pictures for their own use. We have been having trouble here to with predators watching social sites for pictures of children then nabbing them for trafficing---so I don't put pics of the kids up anymore and am very careful not to say where we are going. Our neighbor put up that they were going to Disneyland for the week and came home to a cleaned out house. There are creeps everywhere--just use common sense and I hate to say it but be defensive---

where there is an opportunity there's an opportunist. that's never going to change.

Thanks, that is indeed concerning. But, a person could be caught off guard, before they had time to do something to protect themselves. Makes me want to stay away from my phone (as my computer is down). I want open things that I don't know.

I'm amazed that no one is yet marketing a simple device to cover the camera over on phones and computers. Meanwhile keep a strip of gaffa tape handy.

Don't know of any of your books

Eeek! I'll tape my camera right now!

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:33353
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.