Agnostic.com

37 6

Describe a (nonsexual) hobby/activity that you love to do, and why you love doing it.

For example: I love bird/wildlife photography because, after initial expensive camera and lens purchases, it is almost free.

It gets me outdoors, allows me to do extreme sports things like climb cliffs and hike jungles, ride motorbikes into the desert, all in pursuit of "game," turns me into a super hunter who can read tracks, scat, signs, and pick up on scents like a Native American hunter.

I also get to bond with wild animals, who usually know me after a few visits and allow me to approach closely. Wild snakes and lizards in several countries allow me to stroke them and even try to follow me when I stop and try to leave.

birdingnut 8 Mar 6

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

37 comments (26 - 37)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I love to throw on a backpack and disappear for days, and I love a very hot fire with bits of steel around waiting for me to shape them.

Any photos of your work?

Yeah, I do tracks scats and signs also,
but for me, most things in the water are great.
the water moves, has energy, if I didnt have a problem with heights I would probably feel the same about gliding.

Painting. I lose all sense of time.

I like to take pictures of mushrooms and explore tidepools. There are just so many amazing types of mushrooms (and some are delicious!) and you never know what you'll find in the tidepools. I found some Russian airfreshner on the beach once. (I live on the central OR coast)

Remi Level 7 Mar 6, 2018

I like bird watching, which dovetails nicely with environmental activism.

BillF Level 7 Mar 6, 2018

There have been 3 activities which have loved throughout my life, one professional, and two as avocations.:

1. I love to do vegetable gardening -- the aret of growing plants from seed to replant in my garden, the physical labor of tilling the soil and laying out the garden, the management of the garden -- watering, insect and fungus control, watching the blooms turn into fruit (vegetables), the harvesting, the sharing with friends and neighbors, the actual eting of the delicious fresh vegetables.

2 Fishing -- the art of reading the waters and looking for the spots a fish is likely to be, picking he right lures or baits, casting, setting the hook, feeling the fish surge against the line, fighting the fish through fast and hard runs, leaps, and leading the fish into the net. Last, (after I have fillete the fish, I enoy a real southern fish fry with hushpuppies, cole slaw and grits -- all prepared by myself.
3. Professionally, as an eeucational innovator serving multiple school districts, I loved the activity of finding a real need which could improve school performance, then designing a program of activities and materials , writing training materials and designing training activities, planning the implementation activities, and actually leading the implementation of the program.After I had the program working well, I would typically lose interest and start looking for some new program to create.When I was doing that, I leved it, and could work 80 hour weeks for weeks land weeks.

Taekwando. I like feeling like a badass

Sports photography is vey similar (especially the "tracks, scat, signs, and pick up on scents" bit), except I have to pay for public liability insurance too. 🙂

Jnei Level 8 Mar 6, 2018

I love taking care of my chickens, ducks and food forest. Well I’m still working on my food forest just getting it started really.

I just read all the crap online anymore. Takes up all my time and my eyes are going bad from it. Not sure if I am any smarter or wiser, but certainly more confused.

Geocaching. Because it gave me a reason to get up and out.

Have made a couple of decent friends despite most of the local cachers being conservative christians. Christain teacher that uses donated school supplies to pay for things that require them as a donation, married christians screwing other married christians, bitterness against anyone getting food stamps, immigation haters... etc.

But still, thanks to geocaching, I have seen things in other countries that tours don't show you. I've seen a few things in my own country that I otherwise would have overlooked. Even dropped a few pounds

For me ot is naturism. non sexual nudity in public is fun. try it and you wilt see what I mean. getting undressed the first time in public is scary, but it gets asier.

Ew. I said nonsexual. Nobody wants to look at your junk.

@birdingnut He did say non sexual nudity aka naturism or nudism. It is a known although less common lifestyle and there are numerous nudist colonies. I think you were a bit harsh in your response to him.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:33431
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.