Agnostic.com

19 5

How do you stay or get more disciplined as an atheist?

I have found it harder and harder to stay disciplined and get all the chores/work I should be doing each day finished. My family all think god is watching over them and all that mumbo jumbo so that helps them kind of stay on track in general. I have lost all almost all of my old friends, I drink too often, and feel tired most of the time, and I live in a town where I don't know anyone now. I just joined the nearby gym after procrastinating on it and am going to try to get in there regularly even if it's for short periods of time; just updated my mp3 player to help get me get through it. But I'm just not motivated enough to put in work each day like successful people do. My uncle gave me some Zoloft but I don't want to take it without consulting a doctor; I have other health issues I need to see a doctor about anyway so I'm going to do that soon but have been kind of dreading it. As an atheist with no kids and little support from friends/family I often feel kind of empty even though I have/had many extracurricular activities I enjoy or used to more. I even feel like this is stupid to ask, of course I could just quit drinking and watching too much TV and hit the gym everyday and make art and new friends but that is easier said than done. I actually have been making new friends through my hobby of rockhounding but I don't feel close to any of them. Being disciplined is also hard for me because I don't have a set work schedule and got spoiled during college. I guess I'm looking for some thinking outside of the box. I'm close to just deleting this right now because I don't expect anything I haven't thought of and I feel a bit pathetic but maybe a little conversation would be good; I all but quit using this site because there is no one active in my area on here and I actually know some people on Facebook. Thanks in advance for any comments that aren't rude...

ClaytonE83 7 Apr 20

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

19 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Hi Clayton,

I think there's very good advice in some of the posts below.

The fact that you opened up about this is great, please don't feel foolish. I have been battling major depression and anxiety for nearly 4 decades, I've always been a functional depressed person, worked hard despite depression, but I've relied heavily on therapists and medication (still do). There are no quick fixes.

You don't give too much information about how long you've been feeling like this. It may be that you're "just" in a temporary slump of depression as opposed to major depression. That doesn't lessen the pain and lack of joy you're feeling.

1. You display some of the signs associated with depression, if you want to "fix" things I suggest that you start here. Depression robs you of motivation. Go see a therapist in your area, there is nothing wrong with that and there will never be a "good" time to go to a therapist. The therapist can assess your mental state and can guide you in the question of whether you need to get medical treatment.

Please don't fall into the trap of thinking that you're lazy or unmotivated. Depression, even in its "milder form" distorts your thinking, please believe me when I say this. If you get treatment for depression you will find that you will become more motivated.

1. You are isolated. Loneliness is extremely unhealthy- studies have found that chronic loneliness is as damaging as smoking 14 cigarettes a day. I'm not sure how you can get over the isolation, but I can tell you that finding even a single person who doesn't believe that our lives are magically governed from beyond the clouds helps a hell of a lot. Try to identify like-minded people in your area, even if you place an ad in the local newspaper (desperate times and all that).

2. Good food and exercise plays a definite roll in our mental state and getting enough (or even some) of both will help. Alcohol plays havoc on one's mental state, please avoid it if you can.

3. I have read that having an atheistic world view can predispose one to depression and it seems to make sense. I don't have any kids myself and for years I toiled with a nagging feeling that all of my efforts are in vain. Religion is a nice pacifier for many people. Having the moral fortitude to face the reality of life without resorting to magic can be depressing, or liberating, or both.

The thing about depression is that the sooner you get help the less likely you are to go into major depression. Leave it and it spreads like cancer, you can get it out but the damage increases exponentially.

Please see a therapist, they really can help, but bear in mind that you're creating a relationship with a person. If you're not happy with the first therapist you meet, go to another one. You will either "click" with the therapist or not. If you don't click the challenge is not the therapeutic process, it's just the person.

This matters a lot to me. Three days ago a mate of mine, a dad with two bright kids, a beautiful wife and a successful business shot and killed himself at the age of 46.

Good luck mate, let us know how you're getting on.

Cheers

C

Thank you for your thoughtful response, I haven't been on here in a while. I can't fully respond right now (at work waiting to get started) but I appreciate it.

There is nothing pathetic about asking for help when you need it. It is the smart thing to do actually. You don't have anything to be embarrassed about. I have suffered on and off depression for years. My advice to you would be to go to your doctor. Everything else will be a lot easier after you get your depression under control. Keep in touch by PM if you want. My mom is a clinical social worker and may be able to help you if you need it.

Thank you, I'm working on getting health insurance again. Suddenly when I need it I don't have it anymore after having it and not needing it most of my life. Hope you are doing okay at this time. Thanks for the offer too; might take you up on it sometime.

@ClaytonE83 I get free medical everything from Ohio State because of my financial situation. You might check into Medical Care available through any major university in your area.

Food related issues should be explored. Consumption of wheat can result in chronic fatigue syndrome.

I know wheat in beer does. Actually since I've been drinking beer so long I try not to have too much bread or carbs from wheat products but I don't totally avoid them. I need to get a handle on my routine drinking.

@ClaytonE83 Beer in no longer my friend. Tried a bit last week for grins. I was awake for hours. And tired in the morning. I switched to a white wine last year.. Not awake. And only tired when i have too much. Especially combined with other foods that i no longer have tolerance for.

Depression is a bitch dude. Religion wouldn't cure it, but your doctor might be able to. Get thee to a doctor.

I go along with the other comments.You are possibly depressed and sharing your problems is the first step to sorting it. See a doc. He will probably give you anti depressants which should really only be a short term fix.
Investigate mindfullness and meditation and exercise is good. I know all about drinking too much and procrastinating. I have been there. Good luck.

Thank you!

What makes you think any of your problems have anything to do with being an atheist? I suspect maybe your a believer with a message for us lazy, drunk, T.V. watchen, slack jawed, godless, sinners.

No I'm not pretending to be an atheist, I was just being more open than I normally am; I don't like asking for help or looking foolish like i am now to some of you who don't get it.

@Allamanda thanks, trying, several more corners ahead

I am so sorry you are struggling. You are clearly suffering from depression, I lived with someone who did for many years and it’s a difficult journey.

If you cannot get to a doctor then take it a day at a time, with small things. It’s a bit like eating an elephant, one bite at a time, as they say.

If you have a garden try doing some gardening. Scientists have found that working on the land has benefits for depression, there’s some chemical in the soil apparently. Maybe volunteer somewhere in your spare time; it gets you out of the house and maybe you’ll meet some new people. Go for walks (borrow a dog?)

But if you can get medical help, you should. You have an illness, like diabetes or high blood pressure, and it’s nothing to be ashamed of. Maybe there’s a self help group nearby you can join? If you can beat your depression then your atheism will just be another aspect of your life.

You sound somewhat depressed to me, which may be exacerbated by a certain nihilism that often accompanies atheism. The idea that we're in a deterministic universe with no heavenly purpose can, on the surface, feel like nothing matters. But that's not really the case. Even if life has no cosmic meaning, our actions have consequences and we can make our own meaning and give our lives purpose. We can help our neighbors when they're in need. We can be a comfort to others. Focus on things outside yourself and you'll feel more energized, and that may lead to healthier choices in your own life without the heavy weight of conscience bearing down on you. You may start to eat better and exercise more and take an active interest in life once again. But you may still have some emotional darkness. Counseling may be helpful, if you find the right therapist. (I have a friend in therapy currently, and she's not feeling like it's doing her much good — but I think there are some value conflicts that are making this particular arrangement less effective for her.) Anyway, it sounds like you're engaging in some escapism; my recommendation is to list some things you can do that focus outwardly (e.g., specific community involvement and volunteering) and use that as your primary escape, dwelling less on where you feel you're falling short from day to day. The more you look outwardly, the less you'll be affected by the things that have you feeling demotivated. Good luck to you.

Thank you, I think you understand pretty well. I am going to make consistent changes even if kind of small and hopefully that will get me headed closer to the right direction. I appreciate your comment and several of the others I just skimmed.

I grew up atheist so I can't relate to that being the lack of motivation issue. I'll tell you my trick for the gym though. I did a "triathlon" at work where we did so many miles of swimming, biking, and walking (or elliptical) and it was so satisfying collecting miles that after it was over I decided to keep going. I figured out the miles of Highway 20, the longest road in the US. It starts in Newport OR, where I live, and ends in Boston. I have a percentage formula for each activity (how many miles and how long to accomplish) and I've been breaking states in half and just going. I started a year ago and I'm in the second half of WY now. It's fun to look on the satellite map and see where you "are." Message me if you want the formulas and maps. I use an app called Goal Tracker to keep track of everything. When I'm done with this I'm going to do the miles from the Shire to Mordor 😂 now I just need to find someone to do weights with...

Remi Level 7 Apr 21, 2019

That helps make it a bit more interesting, do you go on the internet and look at pictures and maps of where you "are"? That's not a bad idea. Thanks for sharing

@ClaytonE83 Here are the routes I plotted of Hwy 20 in each state [plotaroute.com]
If you want to be extra nerdy, you can go on Google maps and do street view to see where you are too.
The formula I use is take your total mileage for each goal (for me, I've been breaking states in half and using that for each goal) and times it by .029 for how many miles of swimming, .343 for how many miles of walking, and .63 by how many miles of biking. I also times the total mileage by .039 to figure out how many weeks it should take me. You might be faster or slower than me so you can adjust that one. I round everything up to either whole or half numbers. It's been a fun way to stay motivated. Have fun!

your troubles do not stem from atheism. self-discipline is not nurtured by outside discipline -- it could work the opposite way, in fact. but you seem to be rather hard on yourself. you don't have to change your life suddenly in every aspect all at once. set small goals for yourself (or just one goal at a time); they're easier to achieve and you get used to them and then you're ready for more. you can't go from sleeping all day to running the four-minute mile. one day you set the goal of getting out of bed. the next day you set the goal of getting dressed. by the time you've got your running shoes on and the door open, you've achieved a lot! but i will say that alcohol is a depressant and apart from anything else it's doing to you, it is depressing your mood. you may want to set a schedule for yourself in terms of cutting down (rather than quitting outright). set an easy one. there is no shame in taking things slowly.

g

p.s. you're right -- do not take your uncle's medicine. a doctor may have the same idea or a different one, but consult one, definitely. and remember: a selective seratonin reuptake inhibitor won't cure all your problems, and it won't do anything quickly at any rate. do you know how those work? there are two possible seratonin problems. one would be that your brain isn't producing enough of it. seratonin is a neurotransmitter that tells various parts of your brain what to do, from sleeping to having a certain mood to all kinds of stuff. if you don't have enough, your brain isn't getting the messages it needs and it starts goofing off, so to speak. my understanding is that this isn't the more common of the two problems. the more common problem is that your brain produces enough seratonin but drinks it back up before it can circulate and give its commands. zoloft is one of many ssris that prevent that from happening. but not all people respond to every ssri the same way, so the doc may want to give you a different one, or one that works with different (or more) neurotransmitters, or even want to give you zoloft and then realize that's not the one for you. so definitely consult with a doctor you intend to keep in touch with so you can work on finding JUST the right one -- but you can't drink alcohol with any of them.

Thank you for the input; I had a general idea of how they work and that's why I didn't want to mess with them unless it was kind of a last resort which it isn't yet. And I didn't know how it might mix with alcohol which I can't say I'm going cold turkey. I am making it a point to exercise pretty much every day now, I think if I can do that and make it a habit again it will help a lot; not that I think it will fix everything but I didn't mention how bad of shape I'm in and the lack of confidence that perpetuates.

@ClaytonE83 exercise is a good start and believe it or not that will help you with the drinking thing too. there is no last-resortness about ssris, though. if your brain is drinking up its neurotransmitters before they can transmit, you need an ssri. it's pretty clear-cut even if which one, if any, will actually work is not as clear-cut. but if you are still drinking you can't do the ssri thing.

g

I get it.
It's hard sometimes when you know you are so much in a minority.
This community has been extremely helpful for me in that respect.

It's good that you've started making changes for yourself. Exercise can
be very helpful with depression, which is what it sounds like one of your
issues is. I say that as someone who has been diagnosed as such.
Getting help is definitely a step in the right direction.

Going to the doctor is a very good idea, please stop procrastinating. Getting a therapist would also be likely to be helpful.
Zoloft may not be what you need, so good choice not to take it.

Perhaps you could go online and see if there are any atheist/agnostic
meetups in your area. If not, maybe you could start one.
It's quite likely that you are not the only non-believer in your area.

If you feel like you want to chat, you can message me.
I might not be as good as a therapist, but I can listen.

Thank you for the response and offer to talk, part of the reason I haven't seen a therapist is because I haven't felt ready to change, another is because I didn't think they would help much anyway; I almost majored in psychology so I figured I could kind of predict how it would go. Just bringing it up and communicating this I think could help though and getting out and exercising more. Will respond to the rest of the replies soon, going to the gym again now.

@ClaytonE83 Please don't rule out the possible benefits of therapy.
Granted, not all therapists are created equal, but I've come across
some good ones. Never assume you know how things are going to
go. I have always found that when I've done that, I've almost always
been wrong, and I made matters worse.
Give it a chance. It could help you more than you realize.
Good on ya for going to the gym!

At age 13, I became an atheist when I realized the Bible is just a book of stories written by men. No regrets.

As an organized person, I stay disciplined by eating healthy, avoiding alcohol, not taking drugs, hiking, running, weightlifting and stretching. I enjoy volunteering.

Habits usually take several weeks to change. Healthy eating and exercise can become a positive lifestyle.

How to Change Unhealthy Habits by Teri Goetz MS, LAC, ACC, Psychology Today:

[psychologytoday.com]

Take one day at a time. Make yourself one small thing that you will do or achieve each day. How you feel will eventually pass, but most importantly, every day before you fall asleep, think of five things that you can be grateful for in your life, no matter how small.

I feel ya I often hit similar slumps, or stay in varying degrees of the same slump for years. The things I’ve learned other than the obvious about bringing myself out of it is: don’t try to change all your bad habits at once. Pick the most consequential thing and find a correction or replacement for it. Do that for a couple weeks solid before changing anything else. It’ll help build momentum and you’ll stick with your changes if you focus on them one at a time.

Also make it a point to finish what you start, regardless of success or failure see it through. That’ll have a huge impact on your opinion of yourself. You already know a good deal of things you need to do to pull yourself out of it; at the risk of sounding like an AA meeting, the trick is literally just taking it one step at a time. Don’t get discouraged looking at the pile of shit to do. Look at the part you can reach and just start doing it. And appreciate every little bit of slack that gains you to work on the next mess behind it. Good luck!

Thanks man, appreciate the comments. I'm starting with exercise; haven't exercised on a normal basis in a long time and I know changing that will only make me stonger if it doesn't kill me lol. Exercised three days in a row now so that's something. Chilling out on drinking will be harder, I developed it as ahabit more and more gradually and it's going to be difficult to kick it as it's become a routine I enjoy, but I also know it's fucking things up for me. I needed to at least admit it somewhere like here though as a first step to doing something about it

Victor Valley Atheists, Agnostics, and Skeptical Thinkers (Apple Valley ...
[meetup.com]
A community of Atheists, Agnostics, and Skeptical Thinkers, who gather together to have fun, support one ... Get the Meetup app for Android ... Apple Valley, CA.

If this groip is not close for you I am sure they can inform you of another/s close to where you live.

I didn't find that group when I searched Meetup a few months ago after I moved here. I joined them but I'm not sure how active they are but I'll find out. Thank you

@ClaytonE83 They always can tell you about other meetups near you..........You can even check in Google the meetips in town near you. Good luck and no medicines, please.

1. See a doctor...BEFORE YOU EVEN TAKE AN ASPIRIN. Your uncle shouldn't have given you any medicine. PLEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEASE, SEE A DOCTOR. YOU MAY BE DEPRESSED.

2. Join a local Atheist group.

I was not a particularly organized or driven person when I was an xian, and now the only thing that has changed is I openly acknnowledge my lack of belief. Discipline, not so much, ever. Never was, likely never will be.

This isn’t an atheist or non-atheist problem. It has nothing to do with belief in ‘gods.’

I believe you should go to your doctor and tell them what you said here. They will likely put you in the right direction. I also think a counselor would be helpful.

You know what would help, but as it is easier said then done, go seek help so you can get the motivation you need.

It's an issue that many religious people including my family have a different outlook on and deal with differently. Atheism isn't irrelevant to my struggles or question.

@ClaytonE83
It still has nothing to do with being religious or not.

@darthfaja Not necessarily directly but my life would be very different if I stayed in the religion I was raised in. You're wrong if you think it is that simple.

@ClaytonE83

Maybe your life would be different maybe it would not be. It’s an impossible to know for sure.
I’m fairly certain you are misunderstanding my point.
Either way you should visit a doctor. Visits for this are not that costly.

@darthfaja I'm 100% positive my life would be a lot different, not saying I might not go through any depression though. But I'm okay with not arguing with you about it, thanks for suggesting I get help; I appreciate it.

@ClaytonE83
I just realized we are arguing blue pill versus red pill.
Maybe watch the Matrix and clear your mind ??

I really don't think any of those problems are due to your atheism. Do you think anything would be solved if only you came to Jesus?

I think all you seem to be lacking is motivation. Get interested. Set some goals and go to it. You're just in a temporary slump. Good luck to you.

This is a great suggestion. To @ClaytonE83: It is much easier to get motivated if you have specific, quantifiable goals to achieve. You can say, "I need to take a walk every day," which is a desirable goal, or you can say, "I will walk 3 blocks down and three blocks back from the coffee shop" (or wherever). If you leave it a general goal, with no date or measurement, then if you DON'T do it you can just say, "Well, I'll do it tomorrow." But if you lay out a specific goal and don't do it, you have to deal with the fact that you blew off that opportunity and it won't be back. PLUS, you get the positive reinforcement of knowing that you DID something for yourself and that you are capable, eventually, of doing more.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:334768
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.