Agnostic.com

48 10

Where do you stand on education in Liberal Arts? This includes art, social sciences, foreign language, and communications.

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

48 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

The magic word we need to start using is "soft skills." That is the industry buzzword that children will be faced with in the professional world of tomorrow.

"Soft skills are much more difficult to define and measure – they are the interpersonal or “people” skills that help you to successfully interact with others in the workplace. Regardless of the job, you have to interact effectively with supervisors and people above and below you on the work chart, as well as others possibly- such as customers, vendors, patients, students, etc."(https://www.thebalance.com/top-soft-skills-2063721)

Liberal arts are the foundation of almost all soft skills. It may sound very "cold" to contextualize arts as something that is important to business, but I think most people will agree that people who have that exposure are the ones who can cross the most barriers in the professional world. That is why we must fund them and must consider them in education. Visual art gives us ways to connect and look for meaning in things we don't imediately understand. Performance art gives us the ability to infer emotion from human action. Literature and history allows us to share our experience across generations. Foreign language allows us to share our experience across borders. Communication... ah.... the ability to understand that what you heard is not what was said and to look for understanding... that is what is most missing from the world....

I think education should be free, and self-directed.

Any textbook can be found for free online and most top universities give free online classes and degrees anyway.

I don't think there are many universities that give free degrees, or free classes for that matter. There are a few classes that might be opened up to the public, but participating in such a class does not mean that one earns any actual credits towards an official degree. And if a textbook is found for free online, there's a very good chance that it's a pirated version. I don't know where you are located, so if you are in a different country your description may be true, but here in the US universities are going to look for ways to squeeze every possible dollar out of students.

@citronella Wrong.
Free Online Classes at MIT Can Now Count Toward a Degree [t.co] via @nbcnews

[bbc.co.uk]

[bbc.co.uk]

[openculture.com]

[tagteam.harvard.edu]

Harvard And MIT Create EdX To Offer Free University Courses To The World (VIDEO) [huff.to]

[pinterest.com]

[insidehighered.com]

free college textbooks online:

@citronella @citronella Degrees are not free afaik. However, check out kahnacademy.org and search youtube for "stanford university leonard susskind lectures." They are the tip of the iceberg.

@birdingnut I stand corrected, though I still believe that much of what I said is true. The info you provided on the open-source courses indicates that the universities offering these classes are usually large and extremely well-funded. They can afford to forego tuition; many other universities cannot. The information on free textbooks links to one source, Openstax. Their texts are a drop of water in a sea of academic offerings. I am a college professor and I have never had anyone from Openstax contact me to encourage me to adopt one of their books. Most faculty adopt books based not just on the content, but on the supplements provided (online resources, student study resources, etc.). Many faculty would have to completely revamp their courses in order to adopt a new book, and they would have to have a very good reason to do so. Fair or unfair, getting a free book for students to use might not be sufficient incentive to do so.

@citronella Why limit oneself to reading free "text books?" Most of the information I gained at college was from my own research in the library (no Kindle back then), nothing to do with texts. The idea that students should sit in class and be lectured to learn anything comes from the Middle Ages, when books were too expensive to own privately.

Education, education, EDUCATION!! There is no subject not worth knowing.

I 2nd this.

I don't pit one kind of knowledge against another. All knowledge has its place, function, value.

I grew up in a family of engineers, musicians and artists. I have found utility between my computer science, radio physics and music background. All of them have enriched my life. I believe that art etc are just as important because they allow us to value the human condition as it relates to science and our understanding of the universe. The universe is awash in every conceivable frequency in the spectrum audio and visual. And they are really one and the same. We are pretty damn lucky as a species to have evolved to be able to translate this into the arts.

A well-rounded education serves most people best. Back in the Dark Ages, when I
was in school, we studied almost everything. All subjects were taught, including art
classes. Personally, I feel like I got a wonderful public school education, and I was ready for the work world when I finished high school. Actually, I started working when I was 14, but still kept my grades up and finished high school with straight As.
I didn't start college until I was in my 30s.

I started and stopped college many times over the years, and was 45 when I finished my degree. I was fortunate to grow up where and when I did as I also feel I got a great public school education. College was then a long journey to my own end, and I loved it.

Art enriches life, social science enables us to understand and try to solve social problems, foreign languages and communications allow us to exchange ideas. They're all vitally important subjects.

Jnei Level 8 Mar 7, 2018

My degree is in Liberal Studies, because I changed majors enough that I just needed to fill those buckets (music, humanities, art, etc). Later on, I found that I am just not the flavor of the month when it comes to learning, or career, or ... anything! Liberal Arts accidentally gave me my true path, which is ALL paths. I used to call myself a liberal artist, because I like everything!!! Then I found this TED talk, where we became "multipotentialites." I like "liberal artist" better, but see what you think:

Side story: I was singing for the inauguration of the new president of Rollins College (Winter Park, FL) a few years ago. This was before the 2016 election, and the inflammatory rhetoric was flying everywhere. Some candidate (cough Jeb Bush cough) made the statement that we don't need Liberal Arts graduates in our economy. Dr. Cornwell (new prez at Rollins) fired back during his speech defending Liberal Arts curriculum, and asked the attending faculty, PhDs mostly, what their undergrad degrees were in. PhD in Anthropology=Liberal Arts. PhD scientist that works for NASA=Liberal Arts. PhD in International Business=Liberal Arts. And so on.

It needs to start in elementary school and continue through adulthood. It helps make an individual a fully rounded human.

Absolutely. They don't teach critical thinking or deductive reasoning in the IA wing.

I disagree, it needs to star at the kinder level....when the kids' brain is absorbing the most....besides, the sooner you start learning a foreign language the less accent you will have.

Yes. Agreed.

As important as any.

It really is dependent on the individual. I would not force mathematics on someone who may be more suited in social care.

I wouldn't make a politician out of someone who is shows more interest in the arts - unless they show some interest in politicking, of course.

Well, you may not force trigonometry and advanced geometry but a much simpler math must be taught; a person needs to man -at least- the basic.
Always amazes me that many kids....and adults...don't know how to find the 8.5% they pay on the items they buy everyday...or to multiply by the difference to find what is the price after the discount.

@DUCHESSA I can tell you that for folks like me all the teaching in the world doesn't make a bit of difference. Still can't do these things. My brain refuses and has done so for as long as I can remember. School probably would have been a lot less stressful if they hadn't persisted in attempting to cram that round peg into that square hole.

@DUCHESSA I agree with teaching the basics of English, Math and Science. In my original post, I meant "I wouldn't force mathematics on a school leaver who may be more suited for other professions."

@memorylikeasieve As I said; the subjects must be tailored to the abilities of the kids. Many kids are "special ed" only in one subject...but is too expensive to provide this program....so they invented immersion.

@SamKerry Well those with short brains (the adults) would accuse you of discrimination.

@DUCHESSA I don't understand. I'm discriminating against who? And because "I wouldn't force a 17 year old high school finisher into starting a mathematics degree at universitiy because they want to enter law school instead" is discrimination?

I'm totally missing your point, I think.

@SamKerry If a school doesn't teach the highest level of HS math...or the highest level of any other subject for that matter...you can rest assured more than one parent will say the school is shortening their kids' chances.

@DUCHESSA I thought I've clarified that I wasn't talking about "schools offering different studies or that they are not".

In my example, how can I not be clearer that I was talking about the choice of school leavers to either take a mathematics degree or a law degree..

Went toLiberal arts college with Sociology Major-totally makes you more rounded.

Liberal arts were once considered the basic preparation for participation in the democratic process. Our shift to practical vocational education before HS graduation is one of the reasons we have FOX News. Critical thinking skills are taught through liberal arts.

I would say that they are essential to the education process itself. To some degree guided by a person's goals and aspirations.

I'm doing a Modern Languages degree. I think that says it all. They're essential, you learn about the culture and history of other countries, as well as just the language. You need to know about other cultures... Ignorance is just infuriating.

Technology has gotten all the press in the past couple of generations and I'm certainly a technologist. But I'd be a dull boy indeed if I had no curiosity about sociology, psychology, language, communications, etc. My wife is a professional writer (mostly trade journalism these days) and I have nothing but respect for her abilities.

Sadly, at a professional level, it's far easier in general for me to get respect than it is for her. These days everyone thinks they can write; we aren't quite to the point that everyone thinks they can write software, even though it's less of a mystery than it used to be. I always feel bad for my wife, doing outstanding work and getting "meh" pay for it. One time I hooked her up with one of my clients and I wished I hadn't because their CEO wondered aloud in a meeting -- with my wife present! -- why they needed to hire her to do something that "our salespeople and other internal personnel could do themselves." That company really needed to get their shit together in terms of messaging, they come off as buffoons compared to their own clients who actively use professional writers, PR agencies and the like. But -- they didn't see the value proposition, and it's still to this day their weak point as a company. Due to the above-mentioned asshole the only thing they've used her for is ghost writing trade articles when they're too busy or intimidated to do it themselves.

So yeah I think liberal arts are great and necessary.

Engineering was the right choice for me, career-wise, but I got a lot out of my liberal arts courses in college and my background in languages and literature from high school, it did foster a sense of intellectual curiosity that keeps me motivated to go beyond what I get paid to do at the moment. Furthermore, a broader knowledge of different cultures and the development of communication skills that comes from the liberal arts is useful in presenting ideas and policies more clearly, so I see professional value from the liberal arts disciplines.

I am for well rounding, BUT did/do not find forcing non-major subjects run by awful teachers (possibly a quirk of the university that I attended) conducive to such. Combine that with the high cost for every credit required and I ask, "How ELSE might we accomplish this?"

FWIW, I am a huge fan of the arts, literature, history. The classes forced on me during my scientific undergrad did NOT instill this fascination. Life did.

Zster Level 8 Mar 7, 2018

Its under-rated. Increasingly our world is becoming more and more under human control. We eat when hungry, we sleep when tired, when hot we turn on the AC, when cold the heat.

All but a small percentage of our lives are spent inside cars and homes. Everything that we deal with is either something we made or other humans. Liberal arts lets us navigate the social world which our physical world continues to become.

I'm all for it..

The American mentality about learning other languages is a scary one. Many Americans think learning Spanish is lowering themselves because this language is spoken mostly by laborers ....while learning French is exactly the opposite. Whether kids learn Spanish, French, Ukrainian, Japanese, Hebrew, Tagalog..........or even sign language....the truth is all this learning goes to enrich their lives because it opens the mind to the understanding of other cultures.
To oppose the learning of foreing languages is xenophobic.

Unless one is going to teach Liberal Arts in High Scool or college, a Liberal Art degree is not much of a money maker and don't kid yourself money is what our society is all about.

It’s so important! It opens the entire world up for you on every level. People need to be exposed to it daily in some form from the very beginning.

Iffy Level 5 Mar 7, 2018

I loved it and am still happy with my choice. That said, my daughter is getting a liberal arts degree and it scares the poop out of me that she will be unhirable. I ehar that is not the case, that companies want trainable people, but who knows.

This is an excerpt from one of my songs, my poem and a bit of my photo digital art. Just an example of why all of what I know has lent to what I do.

One day any kind of education will be valued

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:33529
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.