Agnostic.com

22 2

Do you believe unconditional love is possible?

I hear people say that they have unconditional love for their spouse or child. I flatout reject the idea of having unconditional love of your spouse, but I'm less sure about your child. Is there nothing a child could do that would make you not love in some form or another your own child?

paul1967 8 Mar 7

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

22 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I think the only unconditional love is that of a parent for a child, child for parent, and siblings. Everything else is conditional. I, too, reject the idea of unconditional love for a spouse. And I think you can love someone but not have them be an active role in your life.

I totally agree with this. Well stated.

I love my daughter unconditionally. Whatever she may do I will still love her.

My daughter used to be a bad person. I eventually turned my back on her and cut off contact. All my anger and bitterness toward her that sometimes seemed like hatred were born of the love and disapointment I had for her.

So I believe you can love a child unconditionally but perhaps your support of said child could be conditional.

As for loving a spouse unconditionally? Hell naw

LMAO "Hell naw" well said.

I might not agree with everything they do but no matter what they do, I will always love my boys(men).

My dog thinks so...

Aside from the love of a parent for a child? I suppose it's possible but I really don't think it's healthy. I don't care who you are, there are limits to what you can do and still be loved by me. Unless you're my child.

Yes, at a distance.

LMAO so that's a no.

Some people are good in small doses. Loving them is much easier when you're not lovers or sharing a home. I guess that's a condition isn't it...oops.

No, there is always something that can break it. Though most of the time the things that break it are quite extreme.

Yes, I have it for my daughters, that doesn't mean I'll like everything they'll say and do forever but I will love them.

I think that IS the meaning of real love just as we love our children unconditionally, not only if they behave according to certain rules.

I'm not trying to be combative in any way, but I want you to reconsider what you're saying and ask yourself if it's accurate. Could your spouse behave in any way, meaning could she/he do anything that would eliminate your love for her? If the answer is yes, which I suspect it will be, then you have just placed a condition on that love. These conditions would include her/him falling out of love with you, infidelity, deception, theft, purposeful endangerment of your well being and many others.

You're not being combative at all, and you make a good point. Not everything is black or white, but a lot of gray in between and thanks for that comment!

As a mother, there is nothing my daughter could ever do to make me love her less. I do believe that a parent's love for their children can be unconditional, but that does not mean that we will agree with everything they do. If my daughter became a murderer, I wouldn't love her any less than I do now, though I wouldn't try to protect her from the consequences of her actions. I will not coddle her, but I couldn't never hate her.

I do not doubt you. I'm just asking you to consider something. You said nothing she did could make you love her less. Could she do something that would make you love her more? If that's possible, I would argue that she could do something that would make you love her less. I don't mean stop loving her. I just mean that how intensely you love her can vary based on her actions. I'm only asking not asserting if this is true.

@paul1967 I understand your point and appreciate the wording. I don't think it's possible to really rate love on a scale such as this. I already love her as much as I believe I could. It's hard to explain. I don't think my love for her could be affected by any action she makes. I love her and that will always stand true. Pride in her good decisions and sadness in anything negative she does will not affect my love for her because my love for her isn't dependent on her actions or inaction.

@RachelLiz Well put and thank you for your time and effort to explain to me how you view your love of your daughter. You made me understand something that I hadn't considered which is pride and disappointment being separate from the core of your love for your daughter.

No. I do not believe unconditional love is possible.

You might want to review @VictoriaNotes post. VictoriaNotes includes a link I hadn't considered which is temporary unconditional love. Which would mean for a period, the brain is capable of forgiving anything with no loss of affection. I can say it's interesting, but I'm not entirely convinced that it's reliable in the natural world. I think it may be possible to influence the brain enough in laboratory conditions to show these results.

What is true for some people will not be true for everyone....we all have different genes, life experiences, etc. I am lucky. I grew up in a family where love was just automatic...even though we had times of anger, the love was woven into us....same thing in the family that I made. And in my life outside my family, I do not feel love just because I have fun with someone. For me, its when you just talk (really talk) with someone that you learn about their heart. I think I am pretty good at seeing who is genuine and really cares about me as a person, and who is a false person mainly interested in their own ends. If I see the former, then I can love their heart. Even though they may do me wrong at some point, it has never been bad enough to make me stop loving them. Maybe I am just lucky. Maybe its just how I am. But for me love has been unconditional.

We actually had this conversation a few weeks ago. As a parent, yes, you love your children unconditionally.
I have also abandoned the idea of unconditional love for romantic partners - in my experience that meant loving someone unconditionally while he treated me very badly. So, never again.

No. All things are conditional. I think if you believe in unconditional love it is because the strength of your relationships have been well grounded and it is just unlikely or impossible to imagine their being a condition presented to challenge that assumption.

That said that condition could be incredibly extreme and so functionally it might as well be unconditional love. It may very well be a very pedantic difference to make in many cases.

From mothers, children, and dogs.

Ask yourself, when your child grows up, if they committed the worse possible crime you can imagine (feel free to think about this as darkly as you want to), ask yourself would you still love them if they committed this act or acts. If the answer is yes, then you almost certainly have unconditional love for this person, if the answer is no, then you don't have unconditional love. For me all love is conditional, just not equal

I think on this often. The closest I can come to is that my child would not do something so abhorrent, as that is not who my child is. I don't think this is avoiding the question. Say for instance, I had such a child who could/would do such a thing, then I would not have unconditional love for that child, and probably realise it well before anything happened. I have a brother who I half expect will result in a visit from the police saying he was shot doing something crazy.

@Rugglesby To me (just my opinion, feel free to disagree) You cannot say I have unconditional love for someone, and then say the reason is because I know they would never do something so horrible. If your love is based upon them behaving a certian way (or in this case not behaving in a certain way) then I see this as the very defintion of conditional love. Even if you have really good reasons to believe that they will not do these terrible things, there are all sorts of horrible things that could happen to any of us at any time, even for long periods of time, that can change the way we think and behave. Yes we are talking about the extremely unlikely, but extremely unlikely and impossible are 2 very different things.

@RobH86 Understand completely what you are saying, I partially feel the same. People change but in recent years I have been exposed to some really strange things. People getting amnesia, alzheimers and such, the way I was considering it, is they are not the same person. Same body, but different personality, even different person. So the children I love would not do those things, if they did, then they are not the children I love unconditionally. So, your reply is in most ways completely accurate.

@RobH86 I think my threshold for bad behavior is the difference between how I feel about my kids versus everybody else on the planet. My kids could do lots of bad things, and even hurt me deeply, but I'd still love them. A spouse not so much. Not even close.

I have two daughters who I love unconditionally. One is 35 with special needs and one 22 yr old who lives back with me again with her BF and his family.

I don't doubt you one bit for your sincerity, and you brought another aspect to the equation that I hadn't considered, kids with special needs. Not because they are disabled but because in my experience with down syndrome and other kids with special needs, they are uniquely qualified to be better than most of us at loving.

You are so right @paul1967. I still am called "Mummy".

@sassygirl3869 and you will always be his/her mummy and with all the love and appreciation that goes along with that title. How can you put condition on that kind of love? You can't.

Becky and Mom

@sassygirl3869 Thank you for sharing that.

For my child. Everyone else I appreciate quite conditionally.

Yes

You say yes, but yes to what? Unconditional love exists for both your spouse and your children or just one or the other? You know yourself better than I do so if you're saying this is true for you then it's true for you, and I won't question it. I would like you to consider some conditions that I place on my spouse. She needs to share my love. I can't maintain a love for someone who doesn't feel love for me. My physical well being must be nearly as important as her own. If she decides my life insurance policy is of greater importance to her than my life, I will fall out of love with her. She must be honest with me. If she's out sleeping around with other people I will fall out of love with her. I don't have children so I can only assume that those with children have a better understanding of that love. Thanks for taking the time to read my response.

I don't believe in unconditional love between any two humans regardless of relationship. If your kid turned into a Hitler-like figure who murdered millions...and you say you would "still love them", then you are also a monster. Loving a monster unconditionally is the same idiocy that creates religious people --- for example, Mohammed was a pedophile/child rapist. To love him is delusional and puts the rubber stamp of approval on how he treated women. Yahweh MURDERED millions in Abrahamic mythology...and even murdered millions of innocent animals (in the mythological flood)...yet millions "love" him unconditionally. By continally brainwashing generations to IGNORE the crimes against humanity perpetrated by "holy people" and "deities", we are teaching new generations also IGNORE (forgive and forget) human crimes against humanity. All of this is insane. If you would love a monster who harmed other people, you too are a monster. Love SHOULD be conditional...otherwise, you will end up loving the wrong people...and, at some point, some people need to acknowledge that they created monsters who should be imprisoned and/or put to death for their crimes.

That's s tough one...I believe even your child could do something so atrocious and evil that the love bond can be broken. If you are true to yourself I would find it hard to love someone inherently evil.

I agree, and to those saying otherwise, I suspect the knowledge that their children aren't evil prevents them from imagining how they might feel if they were.

However, I do have second-hand knowledge of how I might be wrong. My current girlfriend had a daughter who tried to run away several times, and when she kept getting sent back to her mom, she decided to stab her mother to death (which she obviously failed to do.) My girlfriend claims that even though she refuses to allow her daughter back into her life, she still loves her and wants the best for her. So this isn't conclusive evidence one way or the other, but it does cause me to wonder how evil would a child need to be to break that love bond.

I honestly believe that there is one person in this world that loves me unconditionally, and that is my mother. I don't think there is anything I could do to make her stop loving me - the worst thing I could do (but NEVER WOULD) is hurt/kill other members of my family - her other children (my siblings), her husband (my dad), or my niece & nephew (her grandkids). She might not be able to speak to me again, but I honestly believe that she wouldn't/could't stop loving me. I think I love her unconditionally also...I would certainly die for her, but I'm just not as good of person as she is...

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:33649
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.