Agnostic.com

24 8

Do any of your family members have silly superstitions?

My dad is deathly afraid of ghosts.

He watches scary movies and excuses himself to the bathroom. You can see his hair poking around the corner as he peers at the TV from a safe distance. He sits ridiculously close to people.

In the middle of the night, we had an earthquake a few years ago. He ran to find my mother, woke her up, and told her his bed was shaking. A ghost was in there. lol.

He will not buy a house without asking if someone died in it first.

Do you have any family members with serious supernatural or superstitions?

silvereyes 8 Mar 7

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

24 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I just want to say that your father sounds delightful. That's adorable.

Many family membrs are still Mormon, so yes. They all wear the "sacred" underwear (although they refer to them as "temple garments" )

sacred underwear .. LOL

My mother thinks Bigfoot is real. She also believes eating soup on New Year's Eve will bring her money. It's been decades and still counting.....her pennies lol

All the religious stuff too like the ash on her forehead etc.

I am not really in contact with the majority of my blood relatives. I didn't grow up with them and don't really know them but many of them are either thumperZ or TrumperZ and they all live in the south so it's possible that they don't like me just for being from the Left coast.

Yes. The are religious

My family is all roman catholic

My grandmother had one that I found endearing. She was afraid to fly and never traveled on an airplane, until one day she had to and she was convinced the plane didn't crash because of the shirt she was wearing. So, every time she flew, she'd wear her "lucky shirt." When she passed away, we made sure to include it in the casket.

My Dad and his family did have a couple. An uncle from Oklahoma was driving us kids some place in Imperial Beach in the mid 1950s. A black cat ran across the road and he hut the brakes and did a u-turn and went back and up and way around so as to not cross it's path. Now that was hilarious to us kids.

My dad is just deathly afraid of bears. For some reason.. But my mom is absolutely terrified of the exorcist. According to her she was reading the book over night and her window slammed shut. she took it as a sign or whatever and refuses to ever read or watch it

My mother is an idiot, goes on and on about about the evil of fortune telling but believes her horospoce in the paper. And every superstition ever htought of she believes in.

Yes, one they call christmas

Nope.

My siblings, and wealthy relatives on my mom's side are mostly liberal, non-practicing United Methodists.
I have some religious conservative cousins on my dad's side, but I mostly avoid them.

None of them are superstitious in the "knock on wood" sense and most of them consider ME the wild eyed eccentric for going to Thailand and wasting my time photographing birds.

My neighbors have had both a mother and a brother die inside their house. Not long ago Peggy was going to have repair work done in her bedroom and told me she didn't know where she would sleep. I told her to sleep in Jimmie's room. He's the brother that died there. She says she just couldn't do that as it was his room. I asked her if she thought her brother would ever hurt her. "Of course not," she said. Then I replied that she could sleep in his room after all. She just started a slow, wide grin as though her problem was solved.

My sister is still afraid of flying monkeyes ala Wizard of Oz.

jeffy Level 7 Mar 8, 2018

My mother believes in god. Okay, she believes in ghosts too.

When my brother and I were 10 & 11 we played an elaborate prank on a cousin to convince him that our house was haunted. My mother, who was aware of the prank in general, still insists that we couldn't have caused everything she remembers having happened. We didn't, a lot of that shit didn't happen.

JimG Level 8 Mar 8, 2018

My grandfather as vey superstitious. I only know this from the stories my father told me. After the family came home qafter an exausting day, my grandfather saw the cat washing itself (a sign your getting company) He abruptly threw the cat out of the house. lol

A nephew accompanied me to a tattoo shop to get my tattoo. With all the depictions of the devil on the walls he made the sign of the cross with a crucifix hanging around his neck. He must have gone to a "religious" tattoo artist for his tats.

I did, they have mostly died now.

My family believes that if you pray enough that their invisible friend will make their wishes come true

Have a brother who is a pastor. That is as superstition as you get.

Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain..????????

Not really. Unless religious counts. 😛

Not really. I mean, I consider religion to be rather superstitious, and most of my family would qualify, but aside from that I can't think of any real superstitious beliefs or practices.

My family: My aunt is a ghost hunter. My mom was a wiccan, now she's agnostic (I think). My dad believed he was visited by aliens. ... but you were asking about superstititons. Both my aunt and mom wipe down shopping cart handles with wet wipes for fear that there may be fentanyl on them. I count taking mega doses as Vitamin C as superstitious, so everyone.

Yes, very similar to your dad's

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:33865
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.