Agnostic.com

22 6

Do you cry when you have to put your suffering pet to sleep.

I am a total Wuss when I have to put my beloved pet to sleep. Do you cry for several weeks I know every once in awhile I think a fond memories and I end up with tears coming out of my eyes. I loved all my pets There Is No Greater Love then a pet has for you for you are their god . There are loyalty is unbounding their love is never-ending

Chefedone 6 Mar 7

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

22 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I become a complete mess, they are my children, my companions, my friends.

Yeah, I lose my shit totally

Devistating. I've mourned deeper and longer for the loss of a pet more than some people in my life.

Pets are family.

@DUCHESSA They are better than some family.

@Sticks48 Yesssssssssss

I even cried burying the stupid dead duck we had. So ya.

I am an absolute ugly-sobbing mess when I have to do that and pretty much ruined for days after.

Yes, pets and people. It's a very emotional time and hard to let go of someone you love.

Yup. I cry for weeks after I lose a pet to old age sometimes. I still tear up whenever I think about my long gone pets.

Pic: Toy Fox Terrier and rescue Jack Russell Terrier, my kids on their horses, and me on Whistle- horses died of old age.

Definitely! And it gets harder every time. I've had to take 5 in over the last 3.5 years. The first was my FIRST Rat Terrier. I still get misty when I look at their pictures or think about them for more than a few seconds. I currently have a long-term foster who has cancer and she is on borrowed time now but as long as she is still eating, I just can't get myself to take her in.

Kitty is 17 and has bowel issues. I know it's going to come sooner or later, but it kills me to think about it. For now he's eating well and seems happy enough (he's always been grouchy, but now he's very needy). I hope I don't have to make the choice. I just want to find him one morning after he's gone. Damnit, I'm about to cry now!

Remi Level 7 Mar 21, 2018

My Klaus has been missing for a year and I still cry sometimes.

Remi Level 7 Mar 21, 2018

Yes. I cried for 6 months after I put my sweet angel down. Bone cancer. I have her photos all over the house. It's been 9 months. It's routine to do something and expect to see her, but she's not there. I miss her so much.

...like a baby.

Loss is loss, and grief is the process you go through to accept it. Doesn't matter if it's a person or a pet. We have a relationship with our pets, we miss them when we travel, etc., so why wouldn't we grieve them?

As with people, it matters whether their death is of old age or of tragedy, too. We lost a young puggle who had a disc in her back blow out and was in horrible pain. Turns out it is a fairly common problem with that breed. We were forced to put her down as the alternative was spending tens of thousands to fix it with a high probability of another blowout later. My wife and I were a mess for weeks and it's still a sore topic.

I am not sure why you would feel ashamed about feeling grief for the loss of an animal friend. Would you feel you should buck-up for your parents or for a child?
I have relationships with the animals that have come my way. They are not human relationships, but they are very real and close. My rescue/shelter dog of 10 years, disappered last Oct. 7th. I can barely contain my grief at times. I will never know what has happened to my "little brother". Yes. Little brother. I have always felt this way since I was a child. We stand in a place of superiority of responsibility for our animals. They are closer than friends and sometimes sadly even closer than our families. I struggle with trying not to cry as I type. I wish you well and know there is nothing to be ashamed of loving and caring about our little sibs.

Three years ago when my pal passed I was a sobbing mess breaking down...complete with drool and snot...sure I was losing control it hurt so bad. I was really surprised at the level of pain I was experiencing.

Don't even ask...it was the second most horrible moment in my life.

Don't want to discuss.

yes

Of course I do!!

SamL Level 7 Mar 29, 2018

I may cry briefly as the pet dies, but that's all. I like animals, and they like me, but I'm not one to get overly emotional at their passing. It's a natural part of the life order. Sometimes I miss them, but only mildly. And when I remember them, it's always a good memory.

marga Level 7 Mar 12, 2018

Please, pardon my saying but I feel you're missing out on how deep your pet's love is for you.

@SamL No, I'm not. I've had pets all my life, and I know what I'm talking about. I just feel differently than you.

Yes.

Betty Level 8 Mar 9, 2018
Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:33940
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.