Agnostic.com

11 0

Addiction Treatment

Does anyone have statistics on faith based addiction treatment versus secular addiction treatment?

Thank you

Donotbelieve 9 May 3

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

11 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

FWIW, One of my relatives is an AA member who has been sober for over thirty years. I know another who relapsed after about 26 years. I have a young relative dealing with addiction. She has been in inpatient and outpatient programs and has attended AA some. She hasn't really been able to figure out what works for her. Through my sober relative, I know that many, many relapse with AA and it is always a process. My guess is that whatever program one uses, how faith factors in has more to do with the individual's perspective on faith. People uncomfortable with the higher power thing in AA can and do just chalk it up to acknowledging that there are things beyond their control. My sober relative disapproves of secular programs, but his reasons really have nothing to do with the effectiveness or lack of AA.

Here are a few articles:

[psmag.com]
[ncbi.nlm.nih.gov]
[journalofethics.ama-assn.org]

Personally, I've been to a couple of AA meetings and was immediately repulsed. I can acknowledge that some people find solace there. But they might as well be in a prayer meeting. An alternative that I strongly recommend is SMART Recovery (https://www.smartrecovery.org/). "SMART" stands for "Self-Management and Recovery Training". It is a science-based program whose techniques are research based and published in reputable medical journals.

Buxx Level 7 May 4, 2019

I was not aware of SMART. I know at least one person who might benefit. Thanks.

There is info out of there admittedly it was ten years ago I found out that aa was 43% effective whilst no help at all is 53% effective .

@Donotbelieve not many spontaneously just give up it's a long journey and some find it easier without help or go for help and decide they have a better chance on their own . When I was offered only religious help I did it in my own

There is little evidence that AA and the 12 step program produce consistent positive results.

Millions of people have achieved sobriety around the world!

Dammit, can't find the article. Faith based fairs worse, but can't remember by how badly.

Hope you find something that works for whomever.

1of5 Level 8 May 3, 2019

@Donotbelieve I'll keep looking for it. Glad it's just for stats and not a pressing need. One issue is there is no governing, overseeing body to collect info from faith based orgs, nor any standard metrics to define success.

Faith based ran between 8 to 12% effective if I'm remembering it correctly, which of course is horrible.

@Donotbelieve this article has some starting points for further research.
[theatlantic.com]

The 12 steps (faith based) method is just about as effective as quitting with no “treatment.”
Today it’s known that childhood trauma is a major underlying factor in addiction. Any “treatment” that fails to address the trauma is likely to fail, or simply substitute another addiction (like committing your whole life to the 12-step program.)
I knew a teenage girl who was getting “counseling” from the Catholic services center for anorexia. After talking with her, it was clear that her anorexia was a symptom of her Catholic guilt. The counseling she was getting was only reinforcing the source of her problem.

Big topic. My daughter was a heroin addict. And honestly we threw so much money at treatment and it really had mixed results. I think it depends on what the addiction is. But I strongly believe that whatever keeps you sober is what you need to do. That could be medication, therapy, or god. I can't say that faith based rehab works any better than any others. And for heroin it is almost always medically assited treatment that works. Meaning methadone, suboxone, vivitrol etc.

Sorry for the rent. No faith based has no statistics that show it is any better than secular.

i've had problems with alcohol for many decades but never believed in AAs b/c of the religion.
i'm sure there are many in my position.

@Donotbelieve ,
over the decades i've quit for months at a time. i was & still am a binge drinker. but was always able to function at work (sometimes barely).
i would just wake up some day & think, maybe i've been overdoing the booze, & would just quit for months at a time. i think maybe it had something to do with wanting to lose weight & try to get healthier. also had some problems caused by alcohol.
but i'm a depressive & only really feel good after a few drinks. when i do quit i'll take valium in the the eve which relaxes me. now that pot is legal i'll probably try it again.
meanwhile, i'm old have health issues but enjoy good craft beer & good whiskey.
my wife isn't very happy with me this eve. i'm wearing a holter monitor for my A Fib but still had my 3 beers & 2 shots of whiskey.

I seen many people come and go AA is not for everyone! But I have seen many people out their misery too!

I have friends involved with Smart Recovery, they tell me it has much better results than AA or any Step type programs.

I found this. Hope it helps.

[digitalcommons.cedarville.edu]

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:341404
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.