Agnostic.com

34 2

What is the longest amount of time you have ever gone without sleep?

Please tell us what the circumstances were that made you go so long without sleep.

• 10 votes
  • 8 votes
  • 8 votes
  • 12 votes
  • 13 votes
  • 28 votes
snytiger6 9 May 4

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

34 comments (26 - 34)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

1. Labor with my second child took 46 hours in hospital before they finally bothered to induce. No drugs prior to that, and the pains were three to five minutes apart the whole time. I made the mistake of having two obstetricians who shared a practice. Since they weren't sure I'd survive the birth, each kept hoping I'd deliver on the other guy's shift. They dragged that out as long as they could until my family started loudly complaining.
Deb57 Level 8 May 4, 2019

Better yet, I stopped having babies. That was my second child and the second time my body would mot make the transition between labor and delivery. This area of Illinois was even more rural and backward then than it is now - which is still pretty bad. There was nothing to attract competent doctors to want to live here.

I used to work as an "Extra" for Movies and TV Shows. It happened that I booked a late night shoot for the movie "Zoolander" and another shoot the next day for the TV show "Dharma & Greg". The first shoot ran long, an dso I only had time to go home, switch clothes and head out to the next shoot which also ran long. I think I was aroudn age 40 at the time. By the time I made it to bed it was about 41 hours since I had slept.

I only did that one other time, where i stayed up just under 40 hours. After that I stopped making back to back bookings like that.

Because of my PTSD I have problems sleeping and have at times gone as long as a week without sleep... I can say from experience that it is to put it mildly unpleasant. Probably the worst part is when you start hallucinating....

PTSD, makes those persons who stay awake for long periods willingly seem to be very unappreciative for what they have.

@snytiger6 Depression and suicidal thoughts are common even with the improvements to the VA system Vets with PTSD are still committing committing suicide at a rate of 20 per day. If you don't have it you can't really understand what we go through. My case started out minor but was left untreated and undiagnosed for years so it steadily got worse. I am now considered 100% disabled because of it. No it does NOT make people violent the few who have committed mass shootings or other crimes of violence had other major problems in addition to PTSD like Schizophrenia, Psychosis, and drug abuse. That was documented on the VA website along with the one who was a member of the far right who said god had told him to murder his family (another poor schizophrenic). We get a large amount of bad press because people don't understand what we go through so we are often rejected by even our own families.... I have a beautiful daughter and 7 grandchildren that I love and appreciate very much because they know what problems I have and still accept me.
The Thousand Oaks shooter was NOT suffering from PTSD he was a psychotic. He was violent in high school and according to teachers told them he wanted to join the military "so he could kill people" and his school administration did nothing to get him help. The recruiter who signed him up should receive at least a BCD....

I got up really early to drive the kids to Oregon to see the eclipse that same day, because I knew there would be no hotels. I drove 13+ hours & parked off in the woods, but had ingested so much caffeine & was so uncomfortable trying to in the driver's seat that I was awake all night. The stars were nice. We saw the eclipse the next day, already way more than 24 hrs. since I had woke up to begin the journey. Then I started driving back home & in a couple hours reached the first hotel. All the eclipse tourists had checked out & gone home so I got a room to go to bed early while the kids played at the hotel pool. Next day another 12 or 13 hours' drive due to horrible traffic--while most eclipse tourists had planned ahead & trickled in, EVERYONE was done & ready to go home at the same time. (There was actually NO traffic on the way up & plenty of places to park in Malheur National Forest, right in the zone of totality. Sometimes lack of planning does pay!)

Carin Level 8 May 6, 2019

Working as a dialysis RN in acute care on call did obe 36 hr shift did 5 case you can only do 1 at a time ? Do you want me dialysing you mother on no sleep in the last 30 hrs

When i worked for FEMA we left Thomasville, GA at 3pm and got into Ft. Beauregard about 5 am the next morning and then were told to move to Vicksberg, MS! Finally got to sleep the next morning about 8am. Going to the World Trade Center Attack we left Orlando, Fl about 2pm and got into an air base outside of New york City about 3:30 am and then went to the site and started working, got to sleep about 10 pm and then up at 5:30 to start the next day. Anymore if I'm half hour late to bed I get cranky!

BillF Level 7 May 4, 2019

<24
Can’t stay awake
Always ready to nap

Late October 2016, I lost track of the amount of caffeine I was drinking. I was needing to be alert, but I way overdid. It was a Thursday and I'm usually up at 5:30ish. I ended up in the ER Thursday night due to a panic attack from the caffeine, after they tested me, they sent me home told me to lay off the coffee. I had to work on Friday and be alert but I cut the coffee off at noon. I think I went to bed about 8 pm and slept for 12 hours.

With a newborn, I was in a constant state of sleep deprivation for six months. When Claire was three weeks old, I created a quiz for the pediatrician. She laughed and posted it in the exam room.

New Mother Quiz

1. Why am I doing laundry in the middle of the night?

a. All of my nursing bras are wet.
b. My baby has pooped and peed through 36 onsies and 20 receiving blankets.
c. I'm so tired, I don't know whether it's day or night.
d. All of the above.

2. Why am I so hungry and tired?

a. The minute I sit down to eat, my baby demands to be fed.
b. I have been nursing my baby every two hours, 24/7.
c. There's no point in trying to sleep.
d. All of the above.

3. Why can't I think of any more questions?

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:341833
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.