Agnostic.com

11 3

Chernobyl, I have seen that several different kinds of animals are genetically changed from that disaster in 1986. Are these animals classified as subspecies or do the get their own category?

azzow2 9 Mar 8

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

11 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Theer are some major issues near Alaska with marine animals infected by Fukashima radiation, in Oz we had lots of british nuclear tests years ago, thankfully there has been no adverse effect on our native animals.

Plants have also been mutated. Genetics is confusing, normally it takes about 18 generations for any change to go from a mere switch being turned at the epigenetic level to a fully hardwired DNA change. That said, who can say what effect radiation may have. Current classification is they are the same species, but that may change.

I went for a walk at windermere in england which some say is a beautiful place so i bent down to take a handful; of a bubbling brook and my friend yelled at me STOP turns out chernobyl had just been through and everytthing we were walking over was radioactive !! so only good nukes are welcome and i hope the engineers know what they're doing

Soooo.....when do we get Mothera?

Almas but really disconfigured ones.

If the altered animals have genetic differences which they can transmit to their offspring, yet are still able to interbreed with the original species, they are a sub-species. If they can no longer interbreed, they are an entirely new species.

Mutations and evolitionary changes are two different things

Well every halloween mutations happen, they seem to be recovered by November 1st. My children are evolving to be smarter than me and that is welcome and life long.

evolutionary changes are merely advantageous mutations. But I get your meaning, the Chernobal changes are mutations caused by radiation affecting the DNA as opposed to naturally occurring.

Mutation, combined with natural selection, constitute the primary vehicles of evolution.

And now we have Fukishima. Wonder what will come crawling outta the ocean.

Yikes, thanks for that nightmare!

Whatever crawls out can't be as terrifying as those giant spider crabs that already live in the seas off Japan!

@Jnei And that accident was fairly recent.

@Jnei I am so hoping for a Godzilla!

did u see the mushroom cloud when that broke? to think that tokyo was saved by a safety valve that DID NOT WORK AS PLANNED ! if it had of the whole of tokyo would be radiant

If the mutations changed the species, they'd have a new category. I'd consider they're likely just mutated, not evolved and would still be able to produce normal offspring if they were to mate with another outside of the impacted area.

One of my thoughts, never verified is it possible that a radioactive rock mutate apes into what we have evolved to today?

No, we're still apes

good luck on that one

Would you provide a link to a source that mentions genetically changed animals at Chernobyl?

I've seen several stories about changes in both plants and animals

@MikeFlora Had seen it on animal.planet

I am asking for a link to a credible source. Should not be to difficult if there are any.

@jlynn37 I just put Chernobyl in dogpile search engine and tons of credible results showed up including National Geographic reports

@azzow2 I am copying and pasting from your OP. "I have seen that several different kinds of animals are genetically changed from that disaster in 1986." Surely if YOU have SEEN this, you could give me a link that I could also SEE this also. Remember this is a skeptic sit as well as Agnostic.

@jlynn37 Was on the TV animal planet have not built a holographic interface or put cirtury in my brain as of yet to be able to give you a scale model, I am sure there is someone working on that technology as we write.

@azzow2 No more comment from me.

Mutations

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:34272
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.