Agnostic.com

9 3

Why Progressives HAVE TO Vote for ANY Democrat Who Wins the Nomination in 2020

The Film Crit Hulk puts it better than I ever could (https://birthmoviesdeath.com/2017/05/17/film-crit-hulk-smash-the-american-game-dystopia-class-divide-and-the-brazen)

"Which brings us to the last major obstacle... and that is the way the Democratic party has a tendency to cannibalize itself in this regard. To be clear, I'm probably as hyper liberal as they come when it comes to values, in that they probably align with a guy like Sanders, just add even more support of identity politics (or as we used to call it and probably should again, Civil Rights). But this recent election highlighted not only the strife within the party and its base, but our inability to keep focused on the end mission. You may think this sounds cynical, but I hope the Trump presidency has made it clear that stopping the worst is 100x more important that making a statement about what should be the best. It's not cynical at all because people's fates are at stake. So we cannot ever confuse democratic centrists with Republicans, just as we sure as hell can't confuse Democratic centrists with fascists, just as we can never take the societal benefits of Democratic centrists for granted. Ultimately, Obama pulled off relative miracles in a divided country (and to everyone outside the US, please understand all this ignores the horrors of US foreign policy). So wanting to blow up the Democratic party to theoretically make it more progressive is, quite frankly, juvenile horseshit that puts everyone here at risk... it is outright irresponsible and immoral."

The old adage, "The best is the enemy of the good," is in full effect here. So whoever wins the nomination isn't your first choice? Isn't your third, fourth, or even tenth choice? You don't think the candidate is a "true" progressive and is just a corporate sellout?

Do me a favor; do America a favor; look at the current occupant and ask whether the nation can survive another four years of that. Then SUCK IT UP and vote Democrat.

This has been an unashamedly partisan post, not endorsed or approved by anyone but me. And you'd better believe it's good advice.

Paul4747 8 May 11

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

9 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Paul, I think the response you are seeing on this thread is a small sample of the cannibalizing tendency you referred to. It is deeply frustrating, but insulting people, implying that their choices in the past were stupid, and telling them they HAVE TO see it your way......Good luck with that approach.

Personally, I understand Donald Trump's presidency is an existential threat to this nation, and possibly the world. And I will vote for a turd before I'd vote for him. And yet, I still cringed when I read your post, because that approach is rarely effective.

Our (US) democracy has revealed serious structural flaws that cannot be blamed simply on individual voters. Blame doesn't fix. It tends to make people angry and to start pointing fingers of blame back at the accuser. We desperately need some concrete changes to our election rules, and unfortunately, it seems to take disasters like Trump to get people to halfway pay attention the the problem. But then, the wrong people are running the country. We're fucked.

Amazingly, there are still way too many so-called progressives who can't see any difference between Trump and a moderate Dem - see below. So like many of the the Bernie Bros last time, they'd rather throw their vote away than support Biden, the clear front-runner at this moment. I'll actively support anyone who gets the Dem nomination. This is too important to to let your hurt feelings at not getting your way destroy our democracy. See [en.wikipedia.org]
If you haven't learned anything from Trump's presidency so far, then there's really no hope for you.

What you're saying is the Dem mainstream can pull whatever perverted backhand unfair crap they want and I Still Must Vote As Told.
You are So Wrong.

I think what he's trying to say is to avoid dispersing the vote and that the choice is Orange or No orange. Let's hope the Dems don't choose a crook...

Progressives need to join the Democrats and reform that bunch of self serving wankers.
In the last election the choice was between a self serving crook and another one with a wig.

EXACTLY!

I don't need a why, orange is not in my list!

Usually when someone tries to tell me I HAVE TO do something, I am more inclined to do the opposite. That is like me telling you HAVE TO take a flying leap into a cesspool, but I guess that is what you are suggesting anyway, both parties are cesspools, they are filled with people who support wars for profit, murdering innocents, overthrowing governments, the use of drones, depleted uranium, white phosphorus, Israel, an apartheid state, more nuclear weapons . . . . I will not hold my nose and vote for turds.

THHA Level 7 May 11, 2019

I like your style. I have found that even tho everyone on this site is a non-believer, there are often differences between us on other things. But one thing I have seen with about everyone on Agnostic is that we all seem to have issues with authority. Especially about being told what to do by others. As I like to say, even when you vote for the lesser turd, you're still voting for shit......

Thank you for effectively voting for Trump again. Your principles are great, in principle. In effect, since the right wing aren't voting for anyone BUT the Republican nominee, a divided Left pretty much guarantees a repeat of 2016. (For that matter, a repeat of 2000.)

I wish someone would explain why progressives are so good at stepping on their own principles.

Reading comprehension is obviously lacking in the good old US of A. I'm not the one voting for a choice between two turds.

Turd indeed . . . . Sanders is just like Obama . . . . a wolf in sheep's clothing . . . . . he chose to endorse Clinton, after all, and if you think that he will change things . . . . [leftvoice.org]
Sanders has no backbone when it comes to standing up to apartheid Israel, and he will have no backbone when it comes to standing up to the military industrial complex. In fact, the way I see it, even if the nation were to successfully vote in a third party candidate, it would not change a thing, because the USA is NOT a democracy, and the president, while having some limited influence, could be a chimp who rolled dice for decisions, and it would change nothing.
Americans are far to culturally self-centered to see it, but they are currently headed down a road to disaster, because most of them have no idea what their government is doing overseas. I do not believe that Abu Ghraib was an isolated incident, and what the Israelis are doing to the Palestinians is akin to what Hitler did to the Jews.
The failure to respect international laws by the US military and NATO is putting the world at great risk of nuclear war, more than ever before, and Americans are clueless to it. The change that is needed will not come from inside our bloated, corrupt, stinking, lying, murdering, fascist, plutocratic government.

I would vote for a tarantula with a top hat before I would vote for Donald Trump.

I don't HAVE to do shit Paul.......Last I heard, we have the right to vote for whomever we choose, including third parties and for something better than the lesser evil. Suit yourself, as my grandpa used to say.......

And if you don't care who the winner is, vote for whoever you want. If you do care, vote Democrat and then work for change from within.

You're saying you're happy with the greater evil triumphing? And you're certain that a Democrat nominee is an evil?

@Paul4747 The Mission Accomplished success of the DLC to where it no longer needed to exist, after moving the Dems to the right over a couple decades, shows how well working within the party has worked for progressives, so, no thanks Paul, to working within the party. As Dr. Phil would say, "How's that working for you?"

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:345310
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.