Agnostic.com

15 7

When I first realized I was an atheist and began talking about it on Facebook, Many religious friends blocked me because they told me point-blank, that I was a danger to those in doubt. This only feuled my fire, asI realized that they also realized they had no ground to stand on. Does anyone else have any like experiences?

Nemeister 5 Mar 9

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

15 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

My experience was quiter the opposte in that I blocked people who were obviously small minded politically or spiritually stunted, caught in that trap as it were, and others who were hateful in any manner.

For me it was the opposite; I'm the one who began blocking and defriending religious friends who posted hate memes. If any of them started throwing Scriptures at me, we were done.

I ended up a year ago finally blocking any and all family members except my mother. Then they tried harassing me by phone. I simply hang up.

I was a vocal athiest long before I found Facebook. I did manage to have a few thiests block me after such memorable quotes such as. "Why are you attacikng me?" "This makes me cry" and my favorite, "F_ck you and your science!"

Each comment made by an Atheist to to a Believer ( Theist) is another seed of doubt sown, I have found. However there are those Believers that are scared of losing their 'crutch' in life and having to face Reality that will fire back with ever ounce of irrationality in their meagre little arsenal and as their last resort is to 'block,' unfriend you, etc, etc. But my philosophy on that is quite simple, I.e. With friends like that you DO NOT need enemies.

I am aware soem peopel unfriended me, but they ever gave me a reason. I tcoudl be for beign an atheist, being politically left, being gay or beign a naturist. I see it as their loss because I am a nice and honest person.

Yes but there not really friends and stupid anyway.

I knew religion poisoned minds before I came out of the closest but after I did it only confirmed this.

what I usually get is demands that I respect their nonsense. When I don't, they try to make the issue about respect rather than facts.

velk Level 4 Mar 9, 2018

Many religious people believe that without religion the world would "go to hell in a hand basket," or in other words, everyone would become evil because it is the inherent nature of humans to be evil without the threat of hell. In fact, they are not doing too well even with the threat of hell. This is actually a type of negative faith, as the primary faith being expressed is not a faith in a loving, benevolent God, but in the inherent evil nature of humans. If you threaten to put a crack in this egg of negative faith, all the kings horses and all the kings men will not be able to put Humpty Dumpty back together again.

Excellent analogy. Thanks!

Of course, my family on my mother's side are mostly fundamentalist baptist, Trump votres, antivac, antiscience, .... We don't communicate. And, I believe they think I am working for the devil LOL, as if there were one. They live a delusion, and IMO they are dangerous, because they support politicians in the US who are climate deniers. We've been estranged for over 50 years.

I am sad for you on the one hand, but realize how difficult it would have been for you, to express your true self, with your family. At least I have a portion of family, that are not steeped in 'crazy' thinking.

@Freedompath They know. Once I cared Don't think much about it any more.

Sounds like we grew up in the same world.

@Nemeister and many more, I imagine.

When your beliefs are as flimsy as Santa Claus, and deep down you know it, facing any doubt is very dangerous.

I live for those confrontations even still.

All religious people have doubt. There are two types of doubt for them, they either doubt their religion or accept it which means they just doubt reality.

Yes, all belief implies doubt. Where there is knowledge there is no need for faith. One does not have faith that one plus one equals two.

Calling you "a danger to those in doubt", only means they're threatened by the fact that you embraced reason over delusion. Good for you.

I don't know why but I've been lucky. Nobody outwardly showed me hostility over it.

Wow

@Nemeister maybe when I tell them, I think as a defensive reaction on my part, I intuitively get a "come after me, bro" demeanor. Of course that wouldn't explain FB. I only post atheists stuff there once or twice a month. I'm more political there.

No one has outwardly showed me hostility over being atheist either but like I you, I primarily post political items on FB. I've been posting more and more from the Friendly Atheist lately and have many friends that like those posts and no negative feedback, which has rather surprised me.

@Schevalirae that is surprising.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:34547
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.