Agnostic.com

62 9

Would you avoid naming your child a name with religious connotations?

I don't have children, but there are many times I'm writing a story and I use baby names to help me come up with good names. Sometimes there are names with religious connotations, so I got to thinking... would you avoid them? Do name meanings matter?

• 45 votes
  • 19 votes
  • 32 votes
  • 26 votes
silvereyes 8 Mar 9

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

62 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

It's hard to find one not seeped in religion somewhere

I don't care about the background but the baby should be happy about the name I kept. Actually im thinking of my parents name to my children unfortunately they are religious names!

Uday Level 2 Mar 9, 2018

I'd prefer not to, but... Well, my name is Joseph. "God will increase". My brother's is Matthew. "Gift of Yahweh". My sister has the less religious but even more ironic name of Naomi; "Pleasantness". It's not easy. But, there are pretty good names that aren't religious. Andrew. Charles. Lewis. All those things.

My older daughter is Rebecca but I call her Becky. My younger daughter is Jessica but I call her Jesse which was probably somewhere in the Old Testament. However, both names really were based on characters from "One Life to Live."

don't christen Jewish children-Jewish mothers-didHebrew name for Rebecca to make grandparents happy

Daughters... Leah Kelly... Marina Ivonne... Alexandra Rachel... Son... Oscar Isidro...

It's a non-issue for me.

I would not have a child. 61 and so far so good.

It's funny for me. My oldest son Christopher, was named after a fertility doctor who helped bring Christopher into the world. My second son James, was named after a famous historical figure, so I have two sons: Christopher- Named after Christ James - Brother of Jesus and we had no religious motivation for either name.

BD66 Level 8 Mar 9, 2018

What about naming a child after family - not necessarily a religious connection there.

jeffy Level 7 Mar 9, 2018

Why not? I really like the name Amos.

That made me think of "Amos Moses". (Jerry Reed song from the 70s)

What suits them to be quite honest

I care about both the meaning of the name, AND the sound of it...and therefore it's gonna be a hard pass on religious names, or just anything naming in relation to religion.

I care more about how it sounds. Michelle -- Named after a hockey player only pronounced differently. his is MEE-SHELL Julia -- Named after my mom Steven -- Stevie Ray Vaughan lol...yep his middle name is Ray too. My siblings and I... Remember my mom was raised Catholic. Daniel, Patricia, Mark, Paul, and Jeffery. Jeffery is the oddball because they let me choose between two names when I was 4 years old. I thought Jeff sonded like Jet so I picked that one. lol I don't remember what the other name was. He might as well have the odd name since the boy ain't right anyway. 🙂

At the time my husband and I became parents, we were practising pagans. We chose the names of pagan deities for our two children. My father and his parents were horrified, and asked why we would do such a thing. "To bring the gods alive" we responded. Naming them after pagan deities occasioned numerous opportunities to have discussions about those names, those deities and their significance, which led into wider discussions of mythologies and religious beliefs in general.

I better not have kids cause I have awful name ideas in mind..I mean, I want a cat to name itb Mewphistopheles.

I wouldn't avoid names with religious connotations at all. In fact many of my favourite names are from religious mythology: Rebecca (I prefer Rebekah), Ruth, Athene, Artemis, Phoebe, Eve, Rachel, Abigail, Persephone, Hannah, Esther, Lilith, Magdalena... and various others.

Jnei Level 8 Mar 9, 2018

My son is Michael and my daughter is Kristen. She's an atheistic agnostic, and we have had a couple of laughs over the meaning of her name. EDIT: I tried to talk a coworker out of naming her daughter Lillith though. This woman is religious and didn't have a clue about the origin of the name.

JimG Level 8 Mar 9, 2018

Never

I gave my sister my favorite name for a boy and she named my nephew like that: Yaveh. You have no idea how it upsets Christians. I tell my nephew he has the name of a judeo-christian mythological god. It's perfect, and we all love the name.

If I ever had an offspring they would get named after a musician or comic book character

Well, I have a Jewish friend whose parents named her Christine because they just liked the name. Yeah, she never understood that, but it was never a problem.

I can’t imagine any Jewish parent doing that or naming a girl Mary. My dad always wrote X-mas and G-d. Even as a kid I could not believe a lot of the superstition. It was one of the many things that turned me off to the religion .

When we named our son 44 years ago, we chose Ziff. Now he tells people we were hippies. I tell them we were high! Lol (It's a Romanian-Jewish last name and a Swiss-German word that means "paragraph " or "number one." I only admit to him being #1 (and that we were high). He still loves it, by the way.

My oldest son is named Matthew. When I first told his father (we were not married/together) he said "Biblical, but I like it". I had forgotten Matthew was an apostle when I named him. Names are names to me. Nothing more, nothing less.

My surname is garden so if I had children they'd be Herb, Rose and Lilly, the pet cat would be scruffy

AdieG Level 4 Mar 9, 2018

Meh, it's not something I'd get too hung up about. While names may derive from religious origins, things change over time and certain names/customs trancend their original meanings. So I certainly wouldn't avoid names that derive from religions provided they are not some overly spiritual name I guess.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:34606
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.