Agnostic.com

62 9

Would you avoid naming your child a name with religious connotations?

I don't have children, but there are many times I'm writing a story and I use baby names to help me come up with good names. Sometimes there are names with religious connotations, so I got to thinking... would you avoid them? Do name meanings matter?

• 45 votes
  • 19 votes
  • 32 votes
  • 26 votes
silvereyes 8 Mar 9

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

62 comments (51 - 62)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I care about both the meaning of the name, AND the sound of it...and therefore it's gonna be a hard pass on religious names, or just anything naming in relation to religion.

What suits them to be quite honest

Why not? I really like the name Amos.

That made me think of "Amos Moses". (Jerry Reed song from the 70s)

What about naming a child after family - not necessarily a religious connection there.

jeffy Level 7 Mar 9, 2018

It's funny for me. My oldest son Christopher, was named after a fertility doctor who helped bring Christopher into the world. My second son James, was named after a famous historical figure, so I have two sons: Christopher- Named after Christ James - Brother of Jesus and we had no religious motivation for either name.

BD66 Level 8 Mar 9, 2018

I would not have a child. 61 and so far so good.

It's a non-issue for me.

Daughters... Leah Kelly... Marina Ivonne... Alexandra Rachel... Son... Oscar Isidro...

My older daughter is Rebecca but I call her Becky. My younger daughter is Jessica but I call her Jesse which was probably somewhere in the Old Testament. However, both names really were based on characters from "One Life to Live."

don't christen Jewish children-Jewish mothers-didHebrew name for Rebecca to make grandparents happy

I'd prefer not to, but... Well, my name is Joseph. "God will increase". My brother's is Matthew. "Gift of Yahweh". My sister has the less religious but even more ironic name of Naomi; "Pleasantness". It's not easy. But, there are pretty good names that aren't religious. Andrew. Charles. Lewis. All those things.

I don't care about the background but the baby should be happy about the name I kept. Actually im thinking of my parents name to my children unfortunately they are religious names!

Uday Level 2 Mar 9, 2018

It's hard to find one not seeped in religion somewhere

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:34606
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.