Agnostic.com

23 8

LINK Opinion: No Religious Exemptions From Vaccines

Vaccinations

As a medical provider I have difficulty understanding what seems like simple logic in regards to vaccinations.

However, I must admit I’m torn in regards to forcing someone to do something against their will.

I believe that if you don’t vaccinate then you shouldn’t be allowed in public schools. However, this doesn’t stop spread in communities.

Do you think this should be enforced someway?

It’s a difficult situation.

darthfaja 7 May 16

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

23 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

@darthfaja

We have never been "the land of the free". That's yet another myth we've been
sold. It's even less true today than it's been at any point in US history.
If the Founders could see us now, they'd be appalled.

That said, we're only "free" as long as we conform. While I'm generally all about
non-conformity, I have a REAL problem with stupidity and putting everyone around you at unnecessary risk.
I don't care if it's "unreasonable". I'm done with people using their stupid to hurt others.

@desertastronomer That's not true. It's not just yourself that you are putting at risk.

You're being deliberately ignorant.
I cannot even take you seriously. You are as bad as a flat-Earther.

@desertastronomer You are being deliberately obtuse. Do your own research.
I have already done mine, and I don't owe you an explanation, and I don't owe you "proof" of anything.
You can assume any fucking thing about me that you like. It doesn't give you credibility. I've made no "ridiculous claims". You are the one believing things that aren't true.
Look up "herd immunity".
All that anti-vaxxer stuff is pseudo-science.

@desertastronomer If you refusing to get vaccinated harms anyone, I hope you are made to suffer the consequences.
How you feel about me is wholly irrelevant. I don't give two shits what you
think of me.
Trust me, I think FAR worse of you.

@desertastronomer Not giving a shit about what you say anymore.
Hope you die actually.

I support mandatory vaccines. You don't have a right to spread measles and whooping cough around.

As an atheist and a science enthusiast, Yes. Idiots shouldn't be able to inflict harm upon others because of what their imaginary friend told them.

Yes, because the needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few.

Or we could just beam the all out into space on wide field scatter.

@desertastronomer Then why is it that the recent outbreak of measles is exclusively among the unvaccinated? And I wouldn't suggest replying that they must have gotten it from someone who was vaccinated, as the vaccination makes people immune to being carriers also... Basically, your statement is untrue and you should recheck your information sources. The reason you are dead wrong is because vaccinations only contain dead bacteria. That genetic information is absorbed and recorded in your bone marrow so that if you ever contract anything you are inoculated against, your body will already contain all the information it needs to instruct your antibodies to kill the disease before it has a chance to take hold. This is immunology 101. The vaccinated are NOT infecting the unvaccinated. That is patently false information.

@desertastronomer EXPLAIN to me how that happens, that immunized people spread the disease?
I really want to hear your theory🙄.

@desertastronomer Vaccinated kids are not a threat to anyone. The more people are vaccinated, the more herd immunity exists for those who cannot immunize. Viruses pass from host(infected, rather than vaccinated person) to another unvaccinated person.

@desertastronomer actually, YOU should ‘explain’ your own claim but couldn’t, because there’s no such thang. Good luck to you and Bless your heart.

Force them all into leper colonies with a vaccination station at the only exit. 😡

@JesseThompson a medical quarantine has nothing to do with what the Nazis did. There are many examples of modern day medical segregation to protect the public.

@JesseThompson That's a nice false equivalency straw man ya got there... sure be a shame if something were to happen to it. I'm not saying somebody's gonna come along and destroy it with logic or anything... I'm just sayin' "it could happen."

Damn it!
I can’t reply to any of these.

Killbot: no one is suggesting that people allergic to vaccine ingredients should be forced. However we can make them without these ingredients.
There are a very few select group of people who can’t get vaccines due to immune problems.
However these people are protected if everyone around them gets vaccines.

That's the point I was making.

It not "difficult".
Vaccinate or stay in your home. Forever.
Why shouldn't we start penalizing stupid?

Very simple issue actually. You want to deliberately endanger your kids and spread disease through your community by not vaccinating them, you should have your kids taken away. Rights never allow a person to deliberately harm others, so there are no rights issues involved.

@JesseThompson I'm quite familiar with Nazi medical experiments and Nazis escaping to South America etc, having read several books and written about the topics recently. There is no vaccine connection I'm aware of.

I think that if you are going to find genuine solutions to problems, you need to find solutions that not only work but also work with people instead of against them. So many times I've heard the argument, "If only everyone would . . . . " The person making the argument has one solution and is stuck because they can't persuade everyone else to do it exactly their way.

The problem is, if the people around you don't like your solution, it's not really a solution. You can try to force them but you will probably fail. Humans are amazingly resistant to full conformity. Using the argument that, if only everyone would, tends to be never ending. After you've passed the laws and are still failing to force everyone to conform, you'll still be saying the same thing. It's rare that people ever get to the point where they say, oh, we're never going to get everyone to do this so let's think of something else that works for everyone.

Not really difficult. It should be made compulsory apart from for health reasons. In 2016 there were 5000 cases of measles in Europe. last year there were 80000 and in the UK cases tripled. Reason enough to make it compulsory

@desertastronomer yes!!!

@desertastronomer scaremongering nonsense

@desertastronomer
More ignorance

Here's the deal; it is said (rightly) one's rights end where another's nose begins. Problem is, more and more noses means fewer and fewer rights. If these people's non-vaccination was benign there would be no problem. It is not and everyone is affected even those dumbhead anti-vaxers. Just like with guns, too many politicians are afraid of being seen as stepping on Christian rights.

@Seeker3CO That is the whole idea. I agree. The point was that the more of us the greater chance we will step on other's toes and so will become less free.

@kkgator
I can get behind that
Stupidity does get my feathers ruffled up as well
Couple posts in another channel right now that are plagued with stupid. Hehe

People should be alowed to do whatever they want to their bodies even if it hurts them. The problem is there are people who are allergic to vaccines, or for some other reason can't get them, then not getting vaccinated puts other children at risk. For this reason, it is hard to argue that the rights of the individual should be taken over what is good for the group.

No... when we start forcing people.. we’ve crossed the line

Should other people be allowed a poor outcome or death due to the false beliefs of others?
Sticky slope

@desertastronomer
You’re a total moron
Educate yourself

Perhaps you should look at the epidemiology and history of, say: smallpox. Passengers on ships that were infected were THROWN OVERBOARD. Ships were not allowed to dock but burned at anchor, cargo and all. Millions died or disfigured. No treatment, no cure, highly contagious.
Until the vaccine. I bet those folks who saw their loved ones die would have been glad to be ‘forced’ to have a preventative vaccine.

@kkgator
I couldn’t reply due to the glitch
I agree, however ‘land of the free’ haunts me

@NoPlanetB "overrides"

This topic gets so heated... the CDC website shows you what is in the vaccines... and there are “vaccine injuries “ and cases have been won, why can’t they make safer vaccines, why have “we” increased the number of vaccines that individuals are getting, why not a vaccine schedule, why not single doses...one draw back is there is absolutely NO way we will ever be able to test vaccines for safety... so they will never change... that’s scary!!!

I agree there are some vaccines that should be optional for noncontagious conditions like shingles. But not vaccinating your kids against infectious diseases that have been virtually eradicated or mitigated by vaccines is just stupid and irresponsible. On the other hand, where do you draw the line between personal freedom and social responsibility?

@desertastronomer My reply doesn't seem to be working (again). An example might help. This almost sounds like, if true, they could cancel each other out meaning no one has rights. Again, it is a numbers game and the more dense the population the reduced rights the individuals have. Imagine China, which the same size as the U.S. with 4 times the population, being a democracy. Can't happen.

@desertastronomer Yes, but there is a big difference between talking and actually doing. We do have freedom of speech but not always of action.

I’m fine with allowing parents to not vaccinate as long as they are prepared to homeschool.

It should mandatory, but with exceptions. Medical reasons of course, religious reasons should be well-documented. No one should be able to just write on a piece of paper that they don't believe in vaccinations because of religion and have that be enough. Make it more difficult for them to prove what they are stating is a fact. Perhaps there should be a financial liability for parents who refuse vaccinations. If an outbreak does indeed occur in a community , all parents of unvaccinated children should be financially responsible for for all costs associated with containment. It does appear that we can trace measles outbreaks to its sources.

Generally people that refuse vaccinations are fairly safe from infection as long as most of the rest of us around them are vaccinated. Sensible people that are vaccinated are not really at risk of infection from those that refuse vaccination. Up to a point I do not like the idea of forcing or punishing those misguided enough to refuse vaccination. I would be in favour of action being taken against anyone actively encouraging others not to be vaccinated. It's unfortunate that parents have control over refusing vaccination for their children. Perhaps vaccination of children even against the parents' wishes should be legal or even mandatory but that is the first step on a very slippery slope.

Vaccines should be mandatory for all,unless there is a medical reason not to. I equate this to the gmo concern ,by simply ingesting something you can change your dna.

This situation just reinforces my view that science is the key. We have to underline parent responsibility too. A simple way of checking facts would help but no one should avoid being as honest as science really is in tackling this .

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:347904
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.