Agnostic.com

7 6

Is depression more common in people people with higher IQ?

I was reading a of couple studies that seem to point to higher rates of mental health issues in people of higher intelligence. Things such as depression and anxiety to name a couple. Why do you think this is? Some of the studies pointed to physical health reasonings, but I also wonder if it’s because people with higher IQ are more likely to see the world for what it is. I’m curious your thoughts? (I’ve posted one link that I was reading) [scientificamerican.com]

BohoHeathen 8 May 18

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

7 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Ignorance is bliss.

I often get the impression that so many things are getting from bad to worse worldwide and that the more I know, the more depressed I may get.

If you’re foolish enough to believe in a deity and an after life, perhaps it’s easier to deal with the issues of life. It’s one of the reasons for religion in the first place: keeping people at the bottom of the economy, and those suffering infirmities, content with their status in the expectation that their next one will be better. Those smart enough to not accept the fairytales are forced to deal with life as it is and a constant drive to improve their life. Failure to do that can leave you depressed and feeling hopeless if you are prone to those issues. It is to a certain extent genetic I believe as well.

Yeah I think for me it’s all kinds of things. Partially seeing the world as it is is pretty damn concerning already, plus a bit of extra neurosis thats the downside of thinking a lot in general, plus imposter syndrome and the dunning Krueger effect making us more prone to doubting and underestimating ourselves. To an extent you’ve gotta learn to turn your brain off or at least be a passive observer of it to stay sane at a certain point. Throwing yourself into hard physical tasks also seems to help sooth a worried mind more than most things. Some people don’t realize that “free your mind and your ass will follow” works both ways. Free your ass and your mind will follow.

Sometimes ignorance is bliss.

An article I read in National Geographic in 2014 said that studies of high IQ artistic people showed that the unusually high intelligence was due to a genetic mutation and that set of genes also contained various mental issue "mistakes" as well, especially schizophrenia and manic-depression. So, if those intelligent people intermarry a lot, mental issue genes will express more often and be more serious.

I'd agree with you, they see the world for what it is.

Orbit Level 7 May 18, 2019
Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:348815
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.