Agnostic.com

11 5

My dad was an R&D chemist worked with polymers. He has always told me everything is made with the same raw material. example a 2$ bottle of shampoo has the exact same raw material as a 20$ bottle does. Do you buy products because of a name on a bottle or do you read the chemicals in the product and determine that that product will accomplish the exact same task? P.S just used shampoo as an example there are many other products with the same chemicals in them with different names on the bottles and cans.

azzow2 9 Mar 10

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

11 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

What you just said is true but kinda misleading. Pretty much every computer made the last 30 years is made out of the same chemicals. Do you really think your computer from 1991 holds a candle to one made today?

I admit that branding is a thing but just saying that the chemicals are basically the same is not a proof that quality is the same. Me and you are made of the same chemicals do you think your significant other/close relatives/friends/enemies would be happy if we just swapped lives?

Of course

I loved Chemistry from junior high through high school. I thought of majoring in Chemistry, took two of those classes in college, fortunately I loved Mathematics more so I wound up with degrees in Math and Computer Science.
I can still share some fun Chemistry with people yet it boggles my mind how little people know about it.

I think it has more to do with perfumes and marketing..A freind of mine washes his hair with dawn dishwashing liquid it essentially does the same thing. he is an amatuer chemist. I buy the hygene products at Trader Joes because they don't have that much stuff to choose from which makes my decision much easier. better than spending half an hour trying to make a decision on toothpaste or shampoo at other stores.

Zeta Level 3 Mar 10, 2018

It may be the same chemicals, but different formulations with things added. Also, the end product can be dependant of how it was actually made and the ratio of the ingredients.

Now I don't subscribe to the "the more expensive the product, the better it is" mentality, however everything is NOT equal even-though they contain the same thing.

By the way, though my father wasn't in R&D, he was a chemist who specialized in polymers.

I compare generics with name brands. I have become a label reader.

I always check out the ingredients on the generic versions of things I buy.

In college, I majored in Business, so I actually always look for the best generic, or store brands.

Yes

I look at both. I also look tosee how much water I'm paying for!

I would like to know if you buy and use bottled water?

@jlynn37 No. I use a water bottle which I refill. I do not wish to add addititional plastics to our world.

I personally buy whats on sale.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:34989
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.