Agnostic.com

37 9

What's something you didn't learn until you were an adult?

There were a few things I learned a little later in my life based on how I was raised. What's something you learned in your adulthood? One example is the idea of individualism vs. cooperation. I grew up with a mother who really encouraged self-expression and individuality. Her parents didn't, so she went the opposite direction. But, what I didn't realize is that sometimes that comes at the expense of cooperation. Cooperation and working with groups being a big help when it comes to going to work and being successful. I had to learn later how to strike the balance between "being myself" and "playing well with others." How about you?

silvereyes 8 Mar 10

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

37 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

That fresh green beans were a thing.

Agreed, after finding out. Steamed with butter and lemon pepper. Worlds apart from the canned things I grew up eating.

Hahaha my mom never made fresh food. Do you know how nasty spinach in a can is?

@Celestia I think my mom tried to pull the "Popeye" routine on us once. Only once. It wasn't pretty.

I learned to pick my friends,evaluate comments before making a decision,spot illegal doing's, watch my money and be cautious of my health. Oh yes disavow churches.

It took me until my 30’s to find the balance between living in the moment (which I had done with fervor until then 😉 ) and planning for tomorrow.

Blow job is just a phrase. I would have thought somebody would have mentioned it during girl talks. Talk about embarrassing!

HA! Made my day.

I've never understood why its called a blowjob at all. its anything but.

@Heart_Truth Thank you! I wondered if we had to blow it up to use it! Learning's been fun, though.

@LeighShelton Exactly!

if you need to learn more im more than happy to help lol

@LeighShelton Thanks so much for the offer. Would it really stretch over the ocean? Lol. Actually, I just made a connection with someone I've been talking to for weeks and weeks. Hope it works out, and I can practice a lot!

no, you are right. no need to rub it in lol x nice thought though. I'm just a very helpful person. good luck with your date.

@LeighShelton However, if it reaches across the ocean, there's always Guinness Book of World Records. Everybody has to be known for something! Lol

I think I would be more likely to get the fastest skier award for the shortest difference

@LeighShelton Gold medal braggart!

not really im talking inches and a lot of pain lol

@EllenDale Me too!

@DharmaBum50 😉 glad you got home safe

I don't play well with others. So I still haven't learned that.

The one thing I will admit I learned, is that there are way more stupid people than I originally thought. Oh wait, That's not PC I guess. There are way more knowledge challenged individuals out there than I originally thought.

That Jesus isn't real, god is fake, and the Bible is Jewish mythology.

To trust, but VERIFY

How to do tax returns.

It took me until adulthood to know that there was anything but Christianity as an option.

I actually lost knowledge when I became an adult. At 17, I pretty much knew everything. Now I am not sure of anything.

JimG Level 8 Mar 10, 2018

As the saying goes ... it's amazing how little your parents knew when you were young, and how they wised up when you were an adult.

Word.

My parents are only human

My stepfather is and was a bigot and I could not stand his predjuice (Archie Bunker type) I left home at 16 found some incredible people in the world despite the bad lessons in my child hood home, I could never judge someone for their differences.

Lol yeah I still haven't really learned how to play well with others at all...I still don't know how to do some pretty basic adult stuff cuz I wasn't taught and haven't had to use it yet cuz I haven't lived outside of my parent's (or in a place where I basically just gave cash and it was dealt with) yet. Can't think of what specifically those things are atm, though.

How niaive I was /am.

As a child and youth, I was largely a conformist to the expectations others had of me. Virutally all of my intellectual, moral, philosophical growth, my growth in productivity, and my self-definition occurred as an adult.

Yes I was a pleaser, too. Had to learn what a fool's errand that was. Never could please god OR man no matter how hard I tried.

How to cook/bake. We ate out 3 times a week It was a boyfriend who lived off campus who taught me to cook.

That most people are fucking assholes all the time and all people are sometimes, including me ofcourse.

I think that was the only thing I learned before adulthood.

I was a bit slow I guess but the world seemed a much better place.

I had a Christian household so everything lol

Many (most?) men like (their own) children and enjoy being fathers. I had to date men to find that out.

Having small boobs is, by and large, a negligible impediment to physical attractiveness.

People generally do not like to admit they do not know something and some will go to any length to avoid it.

You don't have to do anything at all for someone to hate you. Sometimes just being visible is enough.

Yes I think you are right about have small boobs. I'm a B cup I'm trans and that's how big they got on hormones. My Trans sisters all had big ones put in but I can't afford them.

Algebra, haha.

Too many facets of life and social behavior to enumerate here.

The value of a good book. Also, when you put things into the perspective of what actually matters, happiness comes naturally.

Marz Level 7 Mar 10, 2018

Opposite extreme here, my mother (like, apparently your grandmother) emphasized playing nice with others, I had no idea I could even BE myself until well into adulthood (I give credit to my late 2nd wife for giving me permission to be myself -- I guess I needed it symbolically).

Funny how the generations play ping pong, each one abreacting to the imbalance of the previous one.

i too took a long time to grasp my innate right to be whoever i want to, to be my own authority. in my case this was due to an overpowering father-authority (he was a teacher).

I was always told that I was a lot smarter than everyone else due to an IQ test I took before I was old enough to even go to school. It wasn't until I started working where my employers in their constant comparisons that I really saw what they were saying. Book smarts only take you so far, you need to actually apply your learning before it's really understood.

This is going to sound horribly naive. I just assumed when young that with age comes wisdom and altruism(altho I didn't have a word for the latter then). That all old people are nice and care about others. LOL@self
I was wrong.

Excellent point. I have to occasionally remind myself that just because I am honest and just, I should not necessarily expect the same from from others.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:35035
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.