Agnostic.com

4 0

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

4 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I tend to disagree. I think making healthcare a basic human right and a universal health care plan would solve the nealth care issues. The primary disagreement, at lest in the U.S. is how to pay for it and who should pay for it. Many countries have universal healthcare systems which work very well.

The big, big problem is in defining what constitutes health care.
Health care that attends to essential care, such as broken bones and major diseases is easily affordable by a state system. But over time definitions erode, until "lifestyle" problems, such as obesity become state supported, and then some people (voters, remember) start demanding free Aspirin, for example. Eventually, everything, even "fashionable" aflictions, become free and a country groans under the weight of an unreasonable demand.
Spain tackles part of the problem by only covering 90% of the cost of a prescription, unless the overall cost exceeds a fixed amount in any one month. It also does not burden nursing staff with excessive "personal care" duties. Instead, relatives or friends are expected to be in attendance. The country also insists on using generic medication wherever possible. If someone wishes to have a "branded" drug then the person is told to go a private hospital.
Operations for cataracts, for example, are only given free of charge where visual acuity has fallen below 50%, and even then there is a waiting list.
The US could do with instituting a "hard" version of this.

I experienced Germany's socialized medicine system. It works damned well -- much better care for the average citizen for much less cost. It could work here also, but would face huge opposition from greedy doctors, hospital corporations, health insure companies, medical supply companies, and pharmaceutical companies. Simple too much corruption and greed currently in play.

I think the people are getting what they need. My German friend says though the the country is struggling to support all its social programs.

I agree it is going to be difficult to take the money away from those who have been used to getting it.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:350877
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.