Agnostic.com

20 37

Reframing John 3:16 and Removing the Sugar-Coating

VictoriaNotes 9 Mar 10

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

20 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Yeah. Pretty icky. I still can't look at a crucifix, no matter how beautiful the architecture of the church, without shuddering.

Wake up believers. ...this 3 headed alleged god geebush geehobah ghostHoles are/is a sicko fucked up fraud on a fake backdated calendar. ...never happened. ...why eat skin & drink blood magic from crackers & wine ?

As I've said, the perfect sacrifice thing only makes sense if Jesus goes to hell after being crucified, not heaven.

Jesus went on vacation to paradise for eternity for your sins.

Ahah! I like it. Today two people knocked on my door and said that they had an invitation for me. I asked them for what. One answered "to celebrate the death of our lord." I almost said if he was all that powerful, how come he died. How can a god die. I let it go and just said no and closed the door.

Jesus is a well know crossdresser.

Yeshua! Get down off there!

You know we need that wood!

According to the well known historian, John Dominic Crossan Roman reliefs of a group which is believed to be Jesus and his followers shows the central figure to be dressed differently. Several reliefs show this. JD Crossan says that, just like today, clothes signified a certain following. His clothing is thought to be indicative of a group that followed the philosophy of Diogenese of Sinop. This philosopher is known as the father of "Cynic Philosophy". [philosophy.gr]

I guess God really "nailed" it - what a nasty convoluated thing religion is hiding behind all the grace and peace. Religion is truely ironic.

jeffy Level 7 Mar 10, 2018

Amazing, this is the first time I have seen nails in the wrist. The real way cruxifictions were done!

Dad sort of looks like Mohammed.

Right on. No theist believes "God" could be anything like that. There is no concept for "God".

But the flock cries out for another
And they keep answering that bell
And one more starry-eyed messiah
Meets a violent farewell-

Don Henley

Brilliant song. One of my favorite Eagles tunes.

@Duke One of my favorite concerts.Clemson stadium nosebleed seats but "sneaked" down to stage front for the last few songs.

"I need to file a restraining order."
"OK. What's their name?"

"God."

>>>rapid blinks<<<<

I have throughly enjoyed many of the pictures of Bible things that have been put together by atheists/agnostics! Church teachers must not like using them to teach to visual learners 🙂

I have often wondered that if it loved the world so much that it gave it's son, what did it think of the world when it flooded and killed everyone save one family? What was the difference in the two time frames?

pissed

And Gilgamesh did it first and better.

@BufftonBeotch, first we have a written record of, anyway.

We are a pretty nasty virus...kinda like hemorrhagic fever, but with an attitude. So maybe they got this one right...haha. Nihilism 1, Optimism 0....hehe

We eat Tide Pods and burn our arms on red-hot electric stove burners. We are not species designed for longevity.

I might like to try that wing suit jump off a cliff thing. Or not.

I know how he feels

To evangelicals, original sin and the threat of hell are givens, and so perversely, god's forgiveness becomes a "kindness". No one ever stops to wonder why god couldn't simply just unconditionally forgive people if that's what he wanted to do; he's god, after all. Or, more to the point, why he didn't just make humans sinless and incorruptible from the get-go rather than promising to get around to it someday in the sweet by-and-by after getting honked off about how he created his own creatures.

They went down the wrong path when the early "scholars" diecided that Jesus of Nazareth must surely be God, instead of seeing him as the messiah, which I understand wasn't a deity level position. The whole situation with this "Trinity" is way out of wack. In addition, I've spoken with a Lutheran priest who sees the crucifixion and Abraham's taking Isaac up on the mountain to sacrifice him as scapegoating male children. There is a primal fear in fathers of their male offspring.

Messiah is simply Hebrew for king anointed by god. Like Solomon and David.

For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.
The problem is that believers are perishing everyday.?

"Perish" in this context is being cast into eternal hellfire. Not simply dying.

Sin is an imaginary problem and so the places where sinners and the redeemed go after death are both imaginary, too.

per·ish
?periSH/Submit
verb
suffer death, typically in a violent, sudden, or untimely way.
"a great part of his army perished of hunger and disease"
synonyms: die, lose one's life, be killed, fall, expire, meet one's death, be lost, lay down one's life, breathe one's last, pass away, go the way of all flesh, give up the ghost, go to glory, meet one's maker, cross the great divide; More@mordant

@nicknotes I'm just telling you how it's taught and understood in the evangelical world. Also the verse itself says the alternative to "perishing" is not to merely live, but to have "everlasting life" (as opposed to everlasting death). Words can be used metaphorically, and also, dictionary definitions only define the most common and accepted usages, often not the special theological meanings that believers make up. Finally -- you're cherry picking definitions. Another dictionary definition is "suffer complete ruin or destruction".

The Greek word translated as "perish" at John 3:16 is Strongs #622 and is used quite commonly over 100 times in the New Testament. The word means "die" but it is apparent that the apologists have invented a meaning for this word to try and patch a hole in their theology. @mordant

@nicknotes Quite probably. Jesus was an itinerant apocalyptic preacher and he explicitly taught that the end was imminent, and promised that some people present at his sermons would not taste death but would see god's kingdom ushered in. The wording here would fit with that. That clearly didn't happen though, and hasn't happened in the 80 or so generations since. Therefore, it all had to be spiritualized and reinterpreted metaphorically and so forth. The only reason I like to exhibit some knowledge of how evangelicals view / interpret such scriptures is so that they don't think me theologically illiterate when I engage with them about their own theology. It's a distraction. I think I have to meet them where they are.

I agree it's ironic how literalists are happy to throw literal interpretations under the bus when the literal interpretation is inconvenient for their evolved dogma. But I don't like getting lost in the weeds when I can do a line drive. I tend to focus on the unfalsifiaility of their god hypothesis, the inability to distinguish between their asserted dogma and their imagination -- things like that.

Matthew 16:28 King James Version (KJV)
28 Verily I say unto you, There be some standing here, which shall not taste of death, till they see the Son of man coming in his kingdom.
Of course this did not happen. In fact none of Jesus' prophecies have come true.

@mordant

@nicknotes And just to make a meta-point -- none of the alleged prophecies about Jesus were about Jesus. Our Jewish friends invariably find these claims by turns annoying and hilarious.

I have a list of OT prophecies that supposedly are about the Messiah. Of course Jesus didn't fulfill any of these prophecies. @mordant

OK, that is off to FB, love it.

If they won't kill you, I will kill you for their benefit!

Nasty evil sinners we are ! ho-ho-ho

This one too...

That's amazing.

Bravo! Instant classic. If only everyone could see this. I think it could really affect those with doubts and who are on the fence. But how many believers would it actually do anything for? I don't see the option to tag, but I would nominate #CounterApologetics, #VicariousRedemption, & perhaps #Morality or #ImmoralityOfReligion.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:35183
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.