Agnostic.com

37 4

What is your response to evil and suffering?

In the face of unbearable, inexplicable or unjustifiable suffering, there are three responses.
The first says: This life is not all there is. There is another world, after death. There is heaven. There is peace and eternal life. All the evil of this world is banished in the world to come.

The second response is to see, as did John Keats, that this world is ‘a vale of soul-making’. We suffer so that we can grow. Others suffer so that we can practise charity or kindness. The bad in our lives is an invitation to the good. For that is how we become morally responsible agents.

The third response is to say: There is evil, therefore there is no God and no ultimate meaning. There is no justice, therefore there is no judge. The world is as it is. Homo hominis lupus est, man is wolf to man. The world is a restless searching for power after power that ceaseth only in death, as Hobbes said.

Matias 8 June 1

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

37 comments (26 - 37)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

My response is simply "THAT'S LIFE"

alon Level 6 June 1, 2019

Life is random, good things happen and shit things happen. C'est la vie

There is no such thing as good and evil in the context being used; which suggests some cosmic, eternal struggle. We know this to be nonsensical and without basis or evidence.

Good and evil are religious terms that suggest humans have "purpose" outside of what they determine for themselves. Evolution and extinction illustrate that man has no more purpose than brontosaurus.

The Earth and cosmos do not cease upon the absence of man.

Suffering is a subjective term to each individual and animal. It is simply a part of the living experience.

SCal Level 7 June 1, 2019

cruel and kind, just and unjust. the nomenclature matters little, you understand the question, don't be pedantic.

@dellik My response is simply to suggest a book for your perusal.

The Tyranny of Words by Stuart Chase.

Semantics and syntax absolutely matter.

@BryanLV They don't when you understand intent. but you do you man, I don't really care.

A fourth response:

There’s no such thing as evil. What we perceive as evil is just the workings of nature. Things happen for reasons, but those reasons might be over our heads. The life or death of a single organism is of little significance.

There is no afterlife. Time is an illusion. We are in heaven right now. The sense of existence as a separate individual in a body is an illusion. We are not our bodies. Our true essence in Ultimate Reality is conscious awareness itself.

In my opinion, evil is solely human activity, suffering is just part of nature and life on planet earth.

Best try to avoid it.

When I first saw the headline, I comically thought "I usually tell my ex I'll see her in court." But the. I saw you had a deeper intent.

The one thing I do to help prevent the spread of evil is speak up when I can to put a stop to it. I teach my child what the evil is and advise him to act in positive ways. There's always going to be some sort of suffering, treat everyone respectfully but stand up for whats truely right.

John Keats or John Hick? (Perhaps both...)

And there are those who say you're being punished for your own misdeeds . And there are those who say all bad is due to Satan .

Of the three, I would choose the second response. However, I would not say that suffering has a purpose. It's just part of life. Humans suffer. Other animals suffer. Without suffering, would we recognize joy?

Make sure I am not contributing to it.

The third response.
There’s nothing noble/divine about suffering, nothing especially glorious about dying for a cause, except the comfort it gives survivors. ‘God’ doesn’t test us or ‘have a plan’ because there IS no god. That’s all a delusion.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:355144
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.