Agnostic.com

14 9

Do you get tired of large packages of food?

Living alone, my eyes are bigger than my stomach.

This morning, I cut a cantaloupe into bite-sized pieces.

"I'll never eat all of that," I thought woefully, looking at the big pile of fruit.

Getting a brainwave, I froze half of the cantaloupe pieces for smoothies.

"Family size!" blares at grocery stores. Eight chicken breasts. Low price per pound snags me. More separating and freezing.

LiterateHiker 9 June 6

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

14 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I think the answer is to take a reasonable sized portion and eat it SLOWLY. I tend to gobble my food and go back for more because I am still hungry. My brother seems to take the regulation 20 chews per mouthfull. He is skinny and I have to watch my weight although I never have been really fat. The rest can then be frozen for use later.

Get one of the vacuum sealers,make meals only big enough for you,Sam's club and Costco sell the huge packages.

No, because I can't afford large packages of food.

Good idea.

Somehow, even though I've lived alone for more than a decade, I eat like I'm trying to feed the entire city!! I usually shop in a membership club store and can easily get carried away. I do freeze things, but recently looked in my freezer and didn't even recognize some of the contents. There are some things that are worth it (to me) to buy in bulk and freeze, which include pork butt roasts. It's one of the cheapest cuts and when cooked at a relatively low temperature for a long time can make some wonderful dishes.
I did read an article that said that the produce is so cheap at the clubs that even if you can't eat it all, you save money. For example, four avocados for $5 is really worth it for me if they don't ripen at the exact same instant. If that happens, I just share the wealth.

I always get cranky looking for something and all there is are large packages. I’m one person (now 2 people in house). I can’t eat all that food, don’t have room to store it and can’t afford it. Walked out of Walmart mumbling. (I did buy a 3lb pork loin for $5 elsewhere, cut it up and put in freezer.) I did plan ahead for this purchase.

I'll take it one step further. Starting tomatoes, peppers, basil... I always start 4 times the number of plants we'll actually need. And then, of course, I plant all of them.

yes ,the lowest price per unit but unless you can freeze it or use it up right away big waist,,usually buy smaller but have less waist

@RoyMillar

Did you mean "waste"?

lol,,good point,,how about both 🙂

nope. i'll tell you why i don't. i separate and freeze too, and the effort is well worth it. even if it's ONE thing i repackage smaller.

g

My vacuum sealer has a permanent spot on my kitchen island. I buy fresh salmon in season when prices are low and have a deep freezer in the garage. With our short growing season my vegetable garden and my berries always produce more than I can consume before it would spoil. Freezing excess, pickling, making jams and country wines are a great way to save a bit of summer for our long cold Alaska winters...

@frostyjim what is country wine?

@Bigwavedave - I call them country wines if they are made with fruits and berries instead of wine grapes.

Good idea. Could also use to make flavored water, throw some in a pitcher of water and refrigerate for a few hours. When there are sales, I buy in family sizes and sometimes multiple bags of other foods to keep in the freezer. Best way to buy. Should be good for six months and I know I will use well before then.

No issue at all. Like you, I often freeze things. I eat differently than most people, in that I will have the same thing three or four days in a row, like ground beef, or steak. I have eggs every day for breakfast. So large sizes are not an issue. (Not a fruit 'n veggie guy)

I don't have a problem with it. I just separate things into smaller portions and freeze it all.
Makes meal planning easier.

I cannot eat as much as I did when I was younger so I can relate to this.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:357375
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.